UK Aid worker Kidnapped in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Afghanistan' started by beemer007, Sep 26, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. mattyw

mattyw Old-Salt Reviewer

Yh she is not comming back alive to put it frank.
  2. She knew the dangers and had the choice, little sympathy.
  3. Sorry to sound callous, but WTF are people thinking, trying to do that job in a country as corrupt and dangerous as Afghanistan?

There is a fine line between compassion and stupidity.
  4. Given that these organisations and in some cases individuals have been in country far longer than the UK military, I suspect that they do know and accept the risks. Sometimes, people just make a different assessment of 'risk vs reward' from the one we'd make.
  5. Agree.

There are many of these people, in parts of the world where nobody cares about, just giving a bit back.

It serves no party any advantage with doing this sort of thing.
  6. That just seems like a bizare comment to be honest. Im not trying to have a go at all or anything. But how is it any different to a soldier being taken or killed they all knew the dangers. I could understand when people sad it about that journo that got taken he didnt have to be there. But if we are to win then we do need aid workers and such. Or is there something i am missing?
  7. The 'i' in said?
  8. A whole lot of education and a whole lot of experience.

I bet she's got a **** like a wizards sleeve by now.

9. Well i was kind of hoping that an older more experienced guy was going to explain to me where my lack of education and inexperience was letting me down but I guess not.
    Shame it didn't happen on a Thursday she would have had an extra 24 hours left at least lol.
  10. Telegraph
    Taliban demand prisoner swap for kidnapped British aid worker
    Taliban militants are holding the British woman kidnapped in Afghanistan and want to exchange her for a female Pakistani scientist jailed last week in America, it has been reported.
    A local Taliban commander named Mohammad Osman said he had kidnapped the woman and her Afghan colleagues in Kunar province on Sunday.
    He told an Afghan press agency with close ties to the Taliban that he was demanding an exchange for Aafia Siddiqui.
    Siddiqui, a 38-year-old neuroscientist, was jailed last week by a New York court for 86 years for the attempted murder of US agents and soldiers who were trying to interrogate her in Afghanistan.

Mohammad Osman told the Afghan Islamic Press (AIP), based in Peshawar in northeastern Pakistan: “We are lucky that we abducted this British woman soon after the ruthless ruling by an American court on Aafia Siddiqui

“We will demand the release of Aafia Siddiqui in exchange for her.”

British government policy is never to pay ransoms to kidnappers, but London and Washington are in contact over the report.

The AIP frequently carries interviews and statements from senior insurgent figures and is considered to be have close links to the Taliban.

The British embassy in Kabul would not discuss the credibility of the report or demand. A spokeswoman said: “We do not discuss operational details.”
    The Foreign Office and the family of the kidnapped woman have asked the press not to name her. She was working for the aid contractor Development Alternatives Inc, on a project paid for by the American government.

She was kidnapped with three Afghan colleagues on Sunday morning as she drove in a two-car convoy from the provincial capital of Asadabad to Jalalabad.

Siddiqui’s sentence provoked anger in Pakistan, where thousands took to the streets demanding her release.

Yousaf Raza Gilani, the Pakistani prime minister, called on America to repatriate a “daughter of the nation” to improve its image in Pakistan.

The Taliban commander said Siddiqui was a sister to all Muslims.

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology-educated scientist and mother-of-three was convicted of opening fire on her interrogators after grabbing a weapon while she was in custody in Afghanistan in 2008.

Prosecutors said she had been arrested in Ghazni that year carrying details of prominent American monuments and bomb-making notes.

Her supporters contend she had been kept for years in a secret prison before her arrest and badly treated in custody.

Defence lawyers said her gun attack, in which she failed to hit any one, was a spontaneous "freak out," born of mental illness.

Taliban demand prisoner swap for kidnapped British aid worker - Telegraph
  11. What with, a steely stare?
  12. So the Taliban nabbed someone whom they probably had been watching with the sole intent of gettng the Pakistani woman released ?
    Not illogical.
    BUT the bottom line is that whilst this English woman was doing worthwhile work, she was doing it against the express direction of HM Govt and therefore, sad as it is, she should not be expecting any assistance at Governmental level.

I would also bet the 3 Afghan co-workers will not even be still alive, let alone expecting assistance from their or our Govts ...... poor bastards.

I hope there's a successful outcome for said lassie but i do not see why British lives should be put at risk to obtain her release. Let her employer do it, they permitted / facillitated her to do what she was doing.

13. Not quite. According to the prosecution, Aafia Siddiqui grabbed the unattended rifle of one of her US interrogators and began shooting. The case also involved other terrorist crimes.

Returning you to thread topic...
  14. VERY poor drills!