UK Afghan role to be scaled down

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Dollsteeth, Aug 16, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Either Labour spin or we (by 'we' I mean the Govt, just like how they say 'We must fight on' and mean the military') are looking for the backdoor out.

Linky

2. msr

msr LE

Or an acknowledgement that we have bitten off more than we can chew?

3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Or unwilling to use the both upper & lower parts of our false teeth?

4. I think we are doomed to always bite off more then we can chew if we never provide sufficient resources to get the job done.

5. More likely a pathetic attempt by Sideshow Bob to placate the public. About as trustworthy as those other classics: "It'll all be over by Christmas", "Peace in our time" and - my personal favourite - "British Troops will leave Afghanistan without firing a shot..."

6. Is this supposed to be a cynical vote winner ? There's no way the Labour govt will be in power a year from now

7. It's simply a justification for not investing in the tools required to get the job done.

"Helos will take more than 12 months so there is no point in buying them" .... replace "helos" with every other expensive item required in theater.

8. Leson number 1. ---- Never belive what the Government tell you, as it usually means something else instead. ---- I would say that this is pure spin or bullshit if you like, to soften the blow of that horrible 200 milestone we have now reached of our nations finest people. ---- The quicker Brown wakes up from his dream, that he can actualy win this war, the better for all of us. ----- Gordon Brown is a man willing to cut off his nose to spite his face on this issue i am affraid, and i belive he is part doing it to please his American masters, to preserve the "special relationship status"

9. I have a suggestion for David Cameron. (or clegg)

Next time parliament is sitting, he should walk across the floor of the house and place gordon brown under arrest for criminal negligence and / or misconduct in public office. The ensuing election would be a sure thing.

10. Bob Marxist Ainsworth, deserves not a shred of sympathy from anyone, for peddling this shite in the same week that Gen Richards said we needed to be there for 30 to 40 years. And the day another 3 soldiers died "on patrol".
    A Government at cross purposes with itself and its military. A General who appears to making political decisions on the hoof.

A right royal fcuk up.

11. Terrible idea :wink: - 1) we want Brown to Have the humiliation of losing the election :D and 2) The longer he stays in the easier it is for the Conservatives to sweep to power. :lol:

Not that they'll be much better TBH

12. I have actually fallen off my chair laughing!! pull the other one Mr Harvey!

13. Unless of course, US Mil take over war fighting in Helmand. That should save on the cost of expensive helicopters when UK PLC is bust.

Ainsworth talks of handing over to ANA currently just shy of 90,000 troops, due to be extended to 134,000 by Dec 2011.

Under Soviet rule ANA equivalent reached the size of 300,000 and the Soviets still couldn't deal with the insurgency. Unless we have dona a deal with the US I simply don't believe a word of what the Secretary of State for Defence said tonight. Let's face it the majority our NATO partners are basically uninterested in this war.

14. This goverment has succesfully managed to destroy the armed forces standing on the world stage, IMO we are fast becoming a lauhing stock to other nations, it is humiliating to watch politicians talking boll**ks, commenting on areas that they have no idea about. :evil:

15. I think unless our governement "mans up" and does the right thing, our American cousins will get fed up and just take over. They are moving heaven and earth to bring their resources to bear. It will be humiliating and yet another nail in our coffin.