UK Adopts Australian-Style Points Immigration System

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bonzo_Dog, Feb 6, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Details of Britain's new Australian-style points based immigration system (PBS) were announced today as the Government published the rules for highly skilled foreign workers applying to come to the UK.

The regulations will start coming into force on 29 February when any highly skilled foreign nationals currently working in Britain who want to extend their stay will need to apply under the new system. In April, the new system will begin to be rolled out overseas when anyone from India who wants to work in the UK as a highly skilled migrant will need to apply under PBS. By the summer the new highly skilled system will operate worldwide.

Speaking from Delhi during a visit to discuss how PBS will work with the Indian Government, Borders and Immigration Minister Liam Byrne said:

"Our points system is starting on time and on plan. I've no problem with taking the best systems in the world, like Australia's points system, and bringing them to the UK. This is a key part of the huge shake-up to our border security this year."

"The points system means only those migrants Britain needs can come to the UK. We know that migrants contributed to our economy to the tune of £6 billion to GDP in 2006. A strong system for highly skilled migrants is vital to Britain winning these benefits because these migrants are well-educated and pay lots of tax."

"We want India to come first because India is Britain's most important market for highly skilled migrants."

The Highly Skilled tier 1 will build upon the success of the Highly Skilled Migrant Programme by continuing to attract the most talented people with the skills the UK needs to remain a global leader in the fields of finance, business, and technological innovation.

The announcement follows the completion in January of the Border and Immigration Agency's global rollout of fingerprinting for all visas three months early. Now every person in the world coming to the UK on a visa has their fingerprints taken and their details checked against watch-lists - if they're on the list for the wrong reason they can't come in and could be banned from applying to come again for up to 10 years

More details at:
  2. Once full details are out, how about we all 'take the test' and only those of us that the country would accept are allowed to:

a) gob off about immigrants and their economic merits and demerits, or
    b) post along the lines of 'I've had enough and I'm moving to Australia / NZ / Canada'

3. Yes well done, something along the lines of horse,stable door and bolted spring to mind
  4. Somehow I doubt that this will make a jot of difference. Since leaving the army and taking up employment in an industry that hires shed-loads of imigrants, their experiences with imigration leave a lot to be desired.

People we want worry about things like visas. They are working and paying tax in the UK but get fairly shoddy service when it comes to things such as visas etc.

People that the average citizen does not want don't give a toss. They can claim assylum and live on benefits with little fear of being deported. The imigration situation is as screwed as the CSA. Easy targets get the grilling because they are simple to go for in order to meet targets. Just my opinion BTW.
  5. I am going to guess I would be a shoe in, with my high tech skills and BSc (Hons) in IT and Computing. And my Mrs' MA. And of course I have already started putting my feelers out for Aus and Canada.

I would imagine a fair few on this site would similarly pass the grade. If not it matters little. By the grace of god we were born in this country, therefore we can whinge.

This will do nothing. All it will do is prevent some people who would probably come here with little or no skills and graft like buggery from entering our nation, but do nothing to prevent the criminal scum and layabouts from all over Europe and the world who see us as a one stop shop for their survival needs.

Or those who come here for the NHS.

Or those here, that we could really do with getting shot of.
  6. How will this stem the real problem of Asylum Seekers and Illegal Immigration?

I would say for every one Genuine Asylum Seeker there are a 1,000 Spongers who just want a better life than 'Back Home'
  7. The points based system is nothing more than smoke and mirrors.

As I have said many times, it is easier to get into australia than the UK under the current system. A points based system is not a guarantee of a robust immigration criteria.

A points based system is merely a method of calculating eligibility. The current system is adequate. The problem is enforcement.
  8. I doubt it will. Seems to me like it will just make life harder for the imigrants we need and want. Meanwhile, the scum will continue to flow in.

Personaly I reckon that a small minority of assylum seekers are genuine and deserve help. People that travel by road all the way across Europe to gain entrance to the UK are unlikely to be genuine assylum seekers. It is far more likely that they are either criminal scuffers or work-shy benefit wannabees.
  9. I notice he didn't mention the other benefit the government sees in their system - the ability to charge large fees from both student and sponsor at each and every stage of the process.

Want to be an authorised sponsor? You need to pay an annual fee.

Want to authorise a certificate of sponsorship as an authorised sponsor? You pay a fee.

Want to apply for a visa? You pay a fee.

Having applied, you want to collect your certificate of sponsorship? You pay a fee.

If, for any reason your visa doesn't come through in time, or your certificate of sponsorship doesn't make it to your visa application in time, or you can't take it up right then, your certificate lapses. If your job/course start date is put back for any reason, it lapses. If you need to postpone arrival for compassionate reasons, it lapses. Oh, and neither you nor your sponsor get their money back. You need to start again from the beginning and pay everything all over.

But, after all, you can justify treating the process as milking for a cash-cow as there'll be all those administration costs involved in issuing those certificates and monitoring visa upkeep. Well, no. The responsibility for this (and, incidentally, the cost) is being foisted on the sponsor.

Upshot? Britain is a far less attractive place to come to for work or study. Bye bye all those graduates and professionally trained types we so desperately need, as well as their lovely taxes. Bye bye all those students with their foreign currency and their international rates of fees.
  10. Well, I'm hoping that my other half (from Chile) gets past this hurdle - she should, as she has got a PhD in microbiology but you never know.

Now all I have to do is convince her that she wants to leave her paradise by the Pacific to come to wet, cold, grey Belfast... My work might be cut out :(
  11. Do they still pull the scam where you can have your visa application handled as a priority if you pay double?
  12. I see the theiving bastards are still at it.

Bloody hell. 250 pounds for someone to place a rubber stamp on your application. 500 if you do not trust them to do their jobs promptly and want them to do it in front of you.
  13. <Makes hollow laughing sound> Of course. It's not as if changing the entire system for processing visa applications means you should abolish any part of the fee structure. No, you just add more on top.

After all, it's not like there are any other countries they can go to, or anything.

Edited to add: Here's the latest news from UKCISA. Rumour control has it Tier 1 (Post Study) is going to be Fresh Talent for the whole of the UK. With the appropriate fee, of course.
  14. thats quite pricey, even to my knowledge not even Canada, Australia and NZ is that expensive or as difficult.
  15. This is, as many have said, utter, utter b@llocks.

I used to work for a large company that is saturated with Indian contractors. The points system is irrelevant as the company set up an Indian 'subsidiary'.

They bring in thousands of Indian workers each year using the 'business visitor' scheme rather than the 'highly skilled migrant' scheme. ('Immigration? Heavens no officer. I'm just over here visiting head office for six months. Employment? Heavens no officer. I'm still employed back in India').

The Indian contractors are laughing cos they can work in the UK while paying no UK tax or national insurance (they are paid in India), thus allowing them to severely undercut UK workers. The only requirement is that they return to India once a year to renew their visa.

The Indian agency is laughing 'cos they can get graduates in India for £4,000 p.a. and 'resell' them in the UK for 5-10 times as much.

The company is laughing because they get staff at a fraction of what it would cost them locally, they pay no employer's national insurance, no pension contributions, no paid leave, no sick leave, no maternity/paternity leave and no need to observe all those pesky employment laws that New Labour keep thinking up (Minimum wage?. But all these blokes are employed by an Indian company - nothing to do with me guv).

I'd be surprised if there are more than several thousand 'highly skilled migrants' in the UK compared with tens of thousands of 'visiting businessmen' and hundreds of thousands of agency workers recruited through foreign agencies.