Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Scottish (Lowland)

Votes: 13 8.3%
  • Scottish (Highland)

Votes: 5 3.2%
  • Norn Iron

Votes: 7 4.5%

• Total voters
Thissel is NR, thissen is WR. Haven't a clue which they use in ER.

It gets more complicated with words like ginnel and gennel (which may also be pronounced as jinnel and jennel), especially when its alley where I come from.

Then there's chip oil, not to be confused with dripping... ...and one man's pattie is another man's fishcake. Or a fishcake might be a rissole. But a pattie isn't a rissole. It might be a scallop, though.

'S'not neither ginnel nor alley.

Snicket is your word.

'S'not neither ginnel nor alley.

Snicket is your word.
Nice one. In my bit of Middlesbrough, the alley was the service road between the backs of houses while a snicket would be a narrow passage between terraced houses, leading from the road to the alley. Or it could be a path between fields used as a short cut.

Cilla Blacks first TV interview was in RP and she laid on the scouse a bit too heavy after that. She originally worked for my GF in laws construction company as a secretary. She always was well spoken using RP/BBC English.
I could be wrong but I heard once there were two Liverpool accents the Catholic one and the protestant one. The Catholic one is the commonly accepted "Scouser" accent we hear lampooned on the media where "early" and "fairly" come across as "ayly" and "fayly" whereas the Prod accent said "urrly" and "furrly".

I have no idea if that is true, someone better versed can tell me.

Incidentally, thou/Du is singular, thee/Sie is (or may be) plural. So thee/Sie (/Ihnen if dative) isn't an insult in North Yorkshire or Germany.
Nope

Thou = 2nd Person Singular Nominative (Subjective)
Thee = 2nd Person Singular Accusative ((Object)
Thy = 2nd Person Singular Possessive (before words beginning with a consonant)
Thine = 2nd Person Singular Possessive (before words beginning with a vowel)

You/Your are 2nd person Plural as is ye (which is used for the 2nd person plural nominative)
You is interchangable Nominative & Accusative

I should have just posted this pic

View attachment 383313

From James Buchanan's 1767 "A Regular English Syntax, Wherein is Exhibited the Whole Variety of English Construction, Properly Exemplified; To Which is Added the Elegant Manner of Arranging Words, and Members of Sentences; the Whole Reduced to Practice, for the Use of Private Young Gentlemen and Ladies, as well as of our Most Eminent Schools."
Thank you very much, that's caused the re-emergence of a hitherto, believed long dead flashback to a trembling Krazy_Ivan's A Level German written and oral exams.

Kuntz, the pair of you.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but I heard once there were two Liverpool accents the Catholic one and the protestant one. The Catholic one is the commonly accepted "Scouser" accent we hear lampooned on the media where "early" and "fairly" come across as "ayly" and "fayly" whereas the Prod accent said "urrly" and "furrly".

I’ve heard the same with Belfast. Certain words pronounced differently so you can tell what side of the fence someone is from. I was told by a very attractive and as it turned out, very dirty Belfast girl, who as it turned out again, just happened to be borderline psychotic. Therefore, I stand to be corrected.

...and there's only the North Riding that does it proper. Which is odd considering most people know the words of the 23rd Psalm.

Incidentally, thou/Du is singular, thee/Sie is (or may be) plural. So thee/Sie (/Ihnen if dative) isn't an insult in North Yorkshire or Germany.
That's why the challenge is 'don't thee thou me'. It seems you haven't understood it.

I’ve heard the same with Belfast. Certain words pronounced differently so you can tell what side of the fence someone is from. I was told by a very attractive and as it turned out, very dirty Belfast girl, who as it turned out again, just happened to be borderline psychotic. Therefore, I stand to be corrected.
Ask them to recite the alphabet, when they get to the eighth letter you'll know who's who.

Born and raised in the Valleys, moved to the Gower, where most of my classmates families had moved to South Wales for work, friends dads from Glasgow,London and Leeds.
Joined up, best mate from Bailieston, absorbed accent of him.
Uni in London with mates from all over
Graduated and joined a firm 12 miles up the road in Welsh speaking Ammanford, and was known as ' the English one' by the locals, some would even spin on their heels, when they found out the boss wasn't in, and they had to deal with me!
SWMBO from Keynsham, so got Somerset in there too.

And today, surveyed a house in Barry, and the chap said " you must be annoyed by last weekend then, you know, with the rugby"
I said- "I'm from Swansea FFS"- I didn't actually say FFS, but you know what I mean.
Americans think I'm an Aussie.
My home town - spooky!

I'll have to give my in-laws a closer listen next time I'm over theirs. 80-odd years old, a matched pair of left-and-right footers from Birkenhead or environs.

One weekend about 1980 our battlegroup stopped for the weekend in a wood and assured the Forstmeister of course we wouldn't be lighting any fires. After he'd gone, we in Command Troop lit a fire and proceeded to hold a Jirga. Regiments without a history in Empire India and the Afghan Wars tend to use the term Smoker.

Everyone else had his own private Jirga in his own little wood. The Battlegroup Command Net stayed up and manned. I was lucky and drew two hours between 2200-2359.

Following day, Battery Commander called by (it was unusual to have real artillery assets. Normally, call for a Fire Mission, somebody else in the back of the ACV would answer up and pretend to be Golf 11).

I made his driver a cup of tea. We chatted. "You guys were drinking last night?"

"You could tell? "

"Further it got into the night, the more you Geordies might have been talking Slidex."
Slidex being easier to decrypt than Geordie...

That's why the challenge is 'don't thee thou me'. It seems you haven't understood it.
I understand it alright. The missing information is that it's a West Tyke berating a North Tyke because he thinks that the bloke with the "posh" accent is belittling him for his poor grammar. The rest of the quote is "Thee tha' thissen!".

There'll always be friction though, but what can you expect when the majority of the West Tykes fought under the red rose.

In order to know for sure, someone would have to go to Liverpool, which is asking a bit much.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Back in Larkspur days i found a Welsh accent seemed to be at a slightly clearer pitch than an Ulster one ,do we still learn RSVP in signals training
?

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Pulled into MRS Grobbendonk in darkness on a BAOR reinforcment exercise. I could not understand the refuelling soldiers and after a couple of exchanges asked if I could speak to an officer perhaps? Indignant voice from the darkness informs me that he was an officer Jimmie !!!