• Scottish (Highland)

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • Norn Iron

Votes: 7 4.2%

• Total voters

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Talking to a colleague today, she (German, German-based, speaks perfect English) noted that the sheer variety of British accents was a marvel and a mystery to her. There were some she found easy and comfortable to make out, others which confused her and others yet which she found utterly unintelligible.

Sheer variety...

Yet only 2 options? Diçkhead

like the somerset accent, anyone can do south london like ross kemp, graham norton or johnathon woss.

BratMedic

LE
Book Reviewer
Are you asking about the difficulty of understanding various accents? Or are you wondering about the like/dislike of various regional variations?

Talking to a colleague today, she (German, German-based, speaks perfect English) noted that the sheer variety of British accents was a marvel and a mystery to her. There were some she found easy and comfortable to make out, others which confused her and others yet which she found utterly unintelligible.
Because German all sound the same with no regional accents? Why is she surprised?

What is "Southern generic", I'm from Yorkshire and never had an accent, but the last one I would tick would be any that would associate me with shandy drinking southern woofters. Change it to RP and you might get more taking part.

Still not enough options. For example there is a big difference between the Glasgow and Edinburgh accent, and both of them are Lowland Scotland.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
I'd have loved to have been more forensic and detailed, but there's an upper limit to the number of options on a poll, I discovered.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
That’ll be the jocks

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Because German all sound the same with no regional accents? Why is she surprised?
Um.... not so much, compare and contrast an upright, noble and decent Hochdeutscher from Hanover with a sneaky Zurich weasel to see a real contrast in regional accents.

Scouse is still the worst
That's because it's a mangled mix of North Wales, Ireland and Northern English accents

It's a real mongrel accent

Latest Threads