Uhh Obama uhh and Broon press uuh conference

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by stoatman, Mar 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just watching it now.

Barry O is currently making Monocular McBroon-Nose look eloquent. That's quite an achievement :x

It appears as if Barry O is like an interviewee at a job interview who doesn't know the correct answer, so very carefully talks around the issue so as to be sure to cover every possibility.

Shame he can't uhh talk without an auto-uhh-cue without uuh-ing every few uuh words.

Someone really ought to uuh tell him about that uuh verbal tic of uuh his.
  2. What a truly tiresome bigoted pompous c0ck you are Stoatman.

Really, you are. What are you doing here? Your ability to analyze Current Affairs without bring your pathetic bigotry to the party is non-existent.

What do you actually do here apart from steal bandwidth?

If you wish to complain about me calling you a bigoted pompous c0ck , You can find the complaints button at the bottom of the screen, assuming you can widen your field of vision far enough.
  3. Looking at his signature, the source on the problem is clear.
  4. I don't recall Rush singing that. What album of theirs is it off, I wonder.
  5. Something from the just-finished CPAC conference, I suspect.
  6. More Rush Limbaugh than Geddy Lee I guess Ashie.
  7. I far prefer Obama's 'Verbal tics' to those too numerous tics, verbal and other wise, of his predecessor Shrub.
  8. I watched NBC news tonight at 6:30 - Brown rated exactly ZERO seconds of airtime, now whether you like GB or not I think it was pretty ignorant of NBC not to give at least 10 seconds of airtime for someone who after all is a very close ally of the USA.
  9. Not spoiling Spank-it, but as much as GB might like to put forward the image of "going to the US to work hand-in-hand with the US" on rebuilding the western world's economic system, from the US side of the pond, his visit is something of a none event - certainly if the reporting and commentary so far in the US is anything to go by.

I guess the "close ally" tag is something of a mute point, given that Obama is due to press the flesh with just about every world political leader in the coming months. On the plus side, useful for a direct dialogue before London in April.

Maybe the Prime Minister's wife might like to take a leaf out of Michelle Obama's book, and spend the day with military families and speak publically about the debt our country owes its armed forces? There again. :oops:
  10. Okay, I'll bite.

Sorry, PTP, I didn't realise that criticising the speaking ability of someone who has been repeatedly billed as a public speaker with an eloquence of Churchillian proportions was bigoted. I guess we must be working from different dictionaries?

Frankly, I found the contrast with brown, whose oratory has never been described in such terms, interesting and enlightening. Brown came out looking like the decisive elder statesman, sure in his own convictions, with a performance that, and he just been on his own, would have been mediocre.

I make no secret of the fact that I don't like either of them, and I find the uncritical, and often orgasmic (to wit one Chris Matthews of MSNBC, and most of the BBC), reporting of Barry rather sickening.

In the interests of fairness, you should go and make similar comments to everybody who criticised Shrub in the same way over the last eight years.

As I said in another thread, I'm always willing to be educated by you as to why my interpretation is wrong. Merely calling me a "bigot" with no justification is kind of weak.
  11. Blimey stoatman if PTP calls you a " tiresome bigoted pompous c0ck " I'd hate to think what he calls me :WINK:
  12. I thought that Obama was having difficulty in finding something good to say about Broon and that was why he was, perhaps, less eloquent than usual. Broon had his agenda all worked out and so came across as quite positive.

But that was my take on it and so worthless.
  13. I agree with stoatman. Obama showed a distinct lack of oratory skill, with those b*oody tic destroying what he had to say.

I'm not entirely sure why stoatman is bigoted. I firmly believe that Obama is about to become the most disappointing president in US history, and that he got in entirely because he is Black (thats not even really conjecture, check the statistics). His colour isn't a bar to office, or to success, so unless stoatman has suggested that it is a bar then he really isn't being a bigot.
  14. rockpile,

I watched/heard pretty much the whole thing, and the delivery was exactly the same even if there was nothing to do with brown in it, for instance the few domestic questions. I don't think it was his worst non-autocue delivery ever (there were some pretty tragic ones on the campaign trial when the autocue broke down which the media quickly glossed over because it didn't fit their "narrative" of him being a great orator), but it was not above average for him.
  15. This from the Torygraph blogs:

"President Barack Obama just plain rude to Britain. Don't call us in future.

Why couldn't President Obama have put on more of a show for his British guests? He looked like he simply couldn't be bothered.

Number 10 may be content that they just about got away with the visit to the Oval Office yesterday, as Andrew Porter reports from Washington.

But on this side of the Atlantic the whole business looked pretty demeaning. The morning papers and TV last night featured plenty of comment focused on the White House's very odd and, frankly, exceptionally rude treatment of a British PM. Squeezing in a meeting, denying him a full press conference with flags etc. The British press corps, left outside for an hour in the cold, can take it and their privations are of limited concern to the public.

But Obama's merely warmish words (one of our closest allies, said with little sincerity or passion) left a bitter taste with this Atlanticist. Especially after his team had made Number 10 beg for a mini press conference and then not even offered the PM lunch.

We get the point, sunshine: we're just one of many allies and you want fancy new friends. Well, the next time you need something doing, something which impinges on your national security, then try calling the French, or the Japanese, or best of all the Germans. The French will be able to offer you first rate support from their catering corps but beyond that you'll be on your own.

When it comes to men, munitions and commitment you'll soon find out why it pays to at least treat the Brits with some manners."

Obama should be careful what he wishes for, he might just get it.