Ugandans sue Britain over colonial-era crimes

OK, first parade the outrage bus..

Ugandans sue Britain over colonial-era crimes
Tuesday, 2 February 2010 11:51

Ten Ugandans are suing the British government for crimes committed by colonial officers during a late 19th century war in the northwest of the country.

The suit largely centres on events that took place in the Bunyoro tribal kingdom between 1893-1899.

'Before this war the population of Bunyoro was stated to be 2.5 million. But by the end of the war there were only 150,000 Bunyoro that could be accounted for,' Crispus Ayena Odongo, a lawyer for the group, said.
Advertisement

'The people who were responsible for invading the place should tell us where the rest are,' he added.

When the British began their colonial project in present-day Uganda they were received warmly by one the country's largest tribes, the Buganda, according to several historical works.

However, the Bunyoro, the other dominant kingdom in the area, was resistant.

The suit alleges that between 1893-1899 the British, using their own fighters and those imported from Buganda, decimated Bunyoro in an attempt to force the tribal monarch to sign an agreement with the colonial government.

Mr Odongo, who previously served as the chief legal advisor to the Lord's Resistance Army rebel militia during failed peace talks, said his case relied heavily on dairies from colonial field officers.

He said the kingdom had never recovered from the massive losses caused by the British backed invasion.

The case is currently pending in a Ugandan court. Britain has hired local legal representatives who have insisted the British government enjoys diplomatic immunity.

Mr Odongo said his clients suspect they may have more success pursuing the matter in a British court, the approach chosen by a group of Kenyan former Mau Mau freedom fighters.

'This and the Mau Mau case are very similar. It's a very good precedent,' he argued.

The 10 named citizens are senior officials from Bunyoro's Kibaale district.

Mr Odongo said the complainants were asking for an astronomical £300bn (€344bn) in damages.
http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0202/uganda.html

So in 6 years the British disposed of 2,350,000 of the Buganda?
Thats roughtly 1,075 a day, every day. Is there a historical record of ammunition usage for the period in that region???

Just shows how much of a soft touch the world see's us as these days doesn't it?

As General MacArthur said, "Old soldiers never die they just fade away".

No problem
The one eyed idiot will write a cheque from one of his fantasy bank accounts.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
'it might be a while before the defendants can appear in court your honour... we're still havent finished exhuming them yet. And to be honest, the ones we have dug up arent saying much either.' :(

FFS oh hang on Cardiff council are sueing the descendents, of Owain Glyndwr, and Boris Johnson is sueing the people of Norwich for burning Londineum

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Even if they won........ £300Bn!!!!!!

FFS! Where the hell do they expect us to find that sort of money? WE'RE FUCKING BROKE!!!

Legs said:
Even if they won........ £300Bn!!!!!!

FFS! Where the hell do they expect us to find that sort of money? WE'RE FUCKING BROKE!!!
Maybe HMG will ask if they can pay it at £10 a week?

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Did we ever claim against Germany for damage and losses caused by the 2nd World War?

Maybe we should...

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I want some cash off all you english b*stards for the potato famine then.

'Before this war the population of Bunyoro was stated to be 2.5 million. But by the end of the war there were only 150,000 Bunyoro that could be accounted for,' Crispus Ayena Odongo, a lawyer for the group, said.
Advertisement

'The people who were responsible for invading the place should tell us where the rest are,' he added.
Can all ARRSEr's have a look under their desks and in their sheds for the missing Bunyoro.

Edited to add, this was before my time as an Inventory controller in the army, so I cannot be responsible for . . cough. . . losing these people off the books.
Wasn't me Sir, I was on leave

I found one in the shed.