UFOs

I feel this thread should be more 'tongue in cheek' than serious but what are the reported 'lights in the sky'? There must be aircraft up there of which we wot not - although I very much doubt they're crewed by little green men (unless the cockpit is too warm, the maneuvers too violent and last nights curry is making an escape bid).

This report seems more lucid and believable than most:

Chris Gibson, who was an engineer on a North Sea Oil rig, made one of the most credible sighting of the aircraft (Aurora) in August 1989. What makes Gibson's report particularly sound is the fact that not only was there independent witness by the name of Graeme Winton but Chris Gibson was a fully trained member of the Royal Observer Corps, aircraft recognition team, for twelve years. He was considered an expert in this field and had himself written an aircraft recognition manual for the Corps. What Chris Gibson saw that day was four aircraft flying in formation, the largest of the four was a KC-135 Stratotanker, on its left flank were two F-111's and on the right was a mysterious black triangle that despite being an expert in aircraft identification, Gibson could not identify. Gibson states that this remains the only aircraft he has never been able to identify.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
I've been fascinated by this since I was a kid. I'm not convinced that the explanation is aliens - as arthur c clarke once said, it's not a flying saucer unless you can read the mars registration plate.
however, the fact that both the USAF and RAF have certainly misinformed people about their activities in this area at the very least, plus the combination of the sheer volume of sightings made over the years, and the quality of some of the witnesses (pilots, police officers, air traffic controllers), makes me think that there cant be this amount of smoke without some kind of fire - though whether the explanation is little green men, next generation Stealth aircraft, or Nazi secret weapons operating out of bases at the north pole I dont know - and neither does anyone else.
A good book dealing with the subject is Nick Cook's The Hunt For Zero Point - very well written and not at all sensationalistic.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who's looking for a rational answer to the whole UFO question. Many (most?) of the 'sightings' are obviously aeroplanes, birds, balloons, clouds, etc. but a very small number are genuinely unknown.
The F117 was first flown in 1981, seven years before it was revealed to the great unwashed - what's being tested now?
Disappointingly, I've flown many hundreds of hours (in the driving seat) and not seen a thing. We even drove round three sides of Area 51 in the late 80s (by accident, we were 'doing' Las Vegas and Death Valley) and saw nothing - although there were lights in the sky in Roswell. It was the most spectacular thunder storm I'd seen since I was stationed in Borneo!

Is that a Mirage in your avatar or am I seeing things....

(edited for typing as i laaarf).

RavSeren said:
It serpently is - Mirage IIICJ to be precise.
Thank fokker for that - I thought I was seeing things. :D

Bonnybridge is only 12 miles or so away from my current locale.......

Sparky2339 said:

It's a weather balloon.

King_of_the_Burpas said:
Sparky2339 said:

It's a weather balloon.
Just tried to upload the ID chart ufo's/planes etc - but comms problems here.

Weather balloon was on it too....

A few years ago when night flying in the Wattisham DUA we heard an annoying, high pitched, whining noise over the din of our own engines. When we looked in the direction of the noise we saw a peculiar shaped object in the hover at about 2,000 feet. It was shaped like a chicken drumstick and looked to be made out of paper and wood. Then, just as quickly as it arrived the strange craft was gone. We never could explain that one. Nobody back at our unit would believe us.

Longbone said:
A few years ago when night flying in the Wattisham DUA we heard an annoying, high pitched, whining noise over the din of our own engines. When we looked in the direction of the noise we saw a peculiar shaped object in the hover at about 2,000 feet. It was shaped like a chicken drumstick and looked to be made out of paper and wood. Then, just as quickly as it arrived the strange craft was gone. We never could explain that one. Nobody back at our unit would believe us.
It wasn't made by McDonald Douglas by chance...?

Chicken Wings anyone?

Longbone said:
I must apologise for my wife. I told her it could cause an accident...

Longbone said:
I did say this thread should be tongue in cheek...

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
pmsl - like it.

Anecdote time.

I met a raving sci-fi nerd a few years ago and we got talking about the x-files. as that about the only paranormal stuff I've ever watched... one thing lead to another and Roswell came up. Now to my suprise he was pretty dismissive of it.

In his opinion it was a cover up but of the US experimenting with the intercontinental delivery of Sunshine. He went into alot of detail about american experimentation with rockets and post war nuclear developement, mainly lots to do with V2 rocket work.. most of which went over my head.

Then he asked if I'd heard of the japanese balloon bombings of the US mainland via the Jetstream....? Well, yeah.

His theory is that the Americans, (at that time,) were attempting to create a much more advanced and reliable delivery sytem... er, that is a balloon that could successfully get a nuke over the soviet union via the jet stream....

With Roswell, the brand spanking new US Airforce was only too happy to have the press jump to the conclusion that it was an alien spacecraft untill somebody with half a brain had a reality check and an about face was rapidly carried out....

I'll give him this much, it's the most plausable theory I've heard so far. Unless of course, it was a weather balloon. :D

DPM_Sheep said:
Anecdote time.

I met a raving sci-fi nerd a few years ago and we got talking about the x-files. as that about the only paranormal stuff I've ever watched... one thing lead to another and Roswell came up. Now to my suprise he was pretty dismissive of it.

In his opinion it was a cover up but of the US experimenting with the intercontinental delivery of Sunshine. He went into alot of detail about american experimentation with rockets and post war nuclear developement, mainly lots to do with V2 rocket work.. most of which went over my head.

Then he asked if I'd heard of the japanese balloon bombings of the US mainland via the Jetstream....? Well, yeah.

His theory is that the Americans, (at that time,) were attempting to create a much more advanced and reliable delivery sytem... er, that is a balloon that could successfully get a nuke over the soviet union via the jet stream....

With Roswell, the brand spanking new US Airforce was only too happy to have the press jump to the conclusion that it was an alien spacecraft untill somebody with half a brain had a reality check and an about face was rapidly carried out....

I'll give him this much, it's the most plausable theory I've heard so far. Unless of course, it was a weather balloon. :D
I can just see Russian Air Defense getting rid of their SAMs, and being equipped with bows n arrows to shoot down the yankee bombers :lol:

During my last trip to the US in 1987 we just had to visit Roswell as it was the 40th anniversary of the 'incident'. What a total waste of time!
There was more space in the Flying Saucer Museum dedicated to crop circles in Wiltshire than to the alleged crash. As I told the curator at the time, we lived in Wiltshire, England (sic) and if he would like to visit some time I'd take him to the pub where most were designed and planned! Our niece was into the X Files and it was virtually impossible to buy a souvenir - a second-rate entrepreneur could have made a killing!
We did see lights in the sky though: it was the best thunder storm I'd seen since being stationed in Sarawak!
One amusing fact, we left Roswell and went to Alamogordo. A couple of miles out of Roswell was a sign that read 'White Sands Missile Range. Stop when red lights flash.' The red lights were 80 miles further on...

This is an interesting area ... the US for one spends billions on black projects, but most comment about them is usually dribbling tin-foil beanie nonsense. However, some of the stuff they did - well, the stuff that has been declassified anyway - truly boggles the mind. It's difficult not to wonder what remains to be uncovered.

Indeed, it's clear that the US uses the conspiracy nuts to hide what they're doing. During the Cold War the US acquired Soviet aircraft via various dodgy means and flew them to see how they performed. One crashed; the cover story was phrased such that the nutters would think it was a UFO, which they duly did and the truth was neatly obscured. Then there's the F-117, nicely obscured by the "F-19" half-truths, model kits and Tom Clancy write-up.

For those that are interested have a read up on the nuclear powered ramjet missile project (FFS !) - aka SLAM, Project Pluto and the reactor tests codename TORY. If you look on Google Earth you can still see the remains of the bunkers built for those. Then there's the BREN tower, at the time the tallest manmade structure in the world, built to allow a working nuclear reactor to be lifted up and down. Then there's all the spaceplane work, from the 1950s DynaSoar onwards, UAV work and so on.

It's inconceivable that there's not more out there still classified. But they won't be as the conspiracy theorists think. I remember a long while ago getting access to some old reports on rocket sled tests. Now we all know about Col Stapp; but these reports were about strapping chimps to sleds and turning things up to 11 and seeing when they fell apart. Nasty stuff, but the results are still used to set limits on the dynamic pressure we expose pilots to when they eject. And Project Sunshine; taking bones from dead babies to test for radioactives to measure fallout patterns from nuclear tests.

In my area of work, aerospace research, one of my colleagues who heads up the US operation in D.C had a very rare invitation to visit the Lockheed Skunk works. He went there to observe the new ACCA, composite in theater army transport aircraft loosely based on the Farichild Dornier 328. In fact the prototype is a modified 328.

Anyhow the hangar was massive from what he described, probably 50 ft high and god knows how wide and length considering there was a 30ft temp wall erected which probably blocked his and colleagues view of the rest of the facility. In short where they laid out the hybrid 328, was maybe only 1/4 of the whole hangar. He happened to turn around and see peeking on top of the wall, what looked like tops of a very large airship in short the P791, which flew last year (check out youtube for the test flight).

Look at the size of the P791, work out how big a hangar would be needed and if that takes up a small space then go figure what else could be developed and built there. :)

There's also talk of building a high altitude surveillance blimp that would be in effect 15 floors high for a large Integrated Sensor is Structure radar system that could replace the E-8C JSTARS and E-3 Sentry, and can stay up for several years.

Years ago, we're talking 10 or so years that there were rumors of high altitude larger than life lighter than air vehicles supposedly built and used in secret for surveillance from the western USA. There's a story on the web from a 727 pilot from Key Air or KEY Cargo flying along the corridor from California to Nevada or to Arizona who him and his captain had the fright of their lives to see some large cylindrical /blimp like object rising from the desert in the distance and claiming it sure as anything bigger than any airship they seen.

One could question a number of things regarding this sighting

1) The airline operator, as one time there was a government contracted out Key Airlines or something that had the contract to ferry personnel to and from Nellis AFB and McCarran International to Tonopah Airfield to support the then classified F-117A project (see any of the books written about the 117)

2) Therefore the aforementioned airline crew could have been one of these DoD contract cargo/passenger flights and probably nature of their flight which neared the test and classified test areas otherwise they wouldn;t have seen what they claim to have seen. if anyone wants anything tested than sure as hell, make damn sure its not anywhere near any commercial routes or check what the FAA have on local flight plans filed that day.