UFO's and the Military

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by chrisg46, Aug 11, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

Saw this article (BBC News - Ministry of Defence files on UFO sightings released) and wondered, how many members of arrse can report "unexplained" encounters of the 1st, 2nd or 3rd kind? Afghan-Kandak and the like dont count :p

Personally, i have never seen a UFO although i would love to, its always interested me. I cant believe that amongst all the planets and stars in this galaxy we are the only ones. However, if they are advanced, or interested enough to come here? Thats another story!

Is the truth out there? In the same manner as the thread related to ghostly encounters, how many of you have seen, heard things that you simply cannot explain other than an extra-terrestrial influence?
    Being abducted from the bar at around the same time every night and waking up in a strange place the following morning does not count either....
  2. Come with me to the woods tonight, and I'll show you a UFO...

On the other hand, you might be more at home here - the survey is FASCINATING...
  3. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I have seen a few unidentified flying objects, but that's mainly cos my recognition skills have always been more attuned to panzers than aircraft.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. When I saw the first Somlian round my area I wasn't quite sure what I was looking at, then the invasion come pretty thick and fast.

Not a UFO, unless anyone's seen one flying recently, but look like fucking aliens all the same.
    • Funny Funny x 2
  5. have seen two things that I cant explain. No, sorry, three things. The first two were observed from earth by me. The third was my ex wife who turned out to be extra terrestrial and defied logical observation. She was from Bath. That may explain a lot.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Why the fuck would an "advanced" alien race want to travel all the way to a crap hole like Earth?

Probing the anusses of shitkickers and the mentally ill is not a sufficient benefit, imho, for spending 60 years in a saucer just to get here.
  7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I think it was Carl Sagan who said (something like), "There are only two possibilities. Either we are the only intelligent life form in the Universe or we are not. Both possibilities are mind-boggling".
    • Like Like x 5
  8. Did you time your journey? Are you now disappointed?
  9. Oh I don't know. It may be sport for them, look at the lengths football supporters go to for entertainment?
    Anal probing of humans may be a the alien equivelent of tiddlywinks or something?
  10. Bloody right I'm disappointed. And I had my probe looted in Enfield (or Alpha Centauri as I prefer to call it)
  11. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I've seen the bloke who's got it on another thread. Hang on....

View attachment 48331
  12. Ah, but what if aliens don't have anuses, and there are gay aliens?

Just how far would you go in that situation? Would we call them 'gayliens'?

"Its an anus, Jim, but not as we know it".
    • Funny Funny x 3
  13. No no no. This is the one I had - it's made of Vulcan steel. If anyone's seen it (Jarrod?) can they please call me on sub galactic frequency.....

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

14. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

For the more mathematically inclined among us, the number of extra terrestrial civilisations in the galaxy can be roughly estimated from the Drake Equation.

SETI Institute

We can come up with reasonable estimates for the first three terms.The last four are pure guesswork. I've seen a lot of attempts to plug numbers into this equation. The answers generally come out in the millions.

FWIW, I think the possibility of us encountering aliens is totally dependent on whether faster than light travel is possible. If it isn't, then the time to travel from one star to another is likely to preclude routine space travel.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I`ve been to Bath a few times, they are mostly humanoid and some have almost got the hang of English.
    • Like Like x 2