UFAS description?

Hello,

I've been in touch with my friend who's training at ATR Pirbright, and he has been since July 2007!, he has got backsquadded 3 weeks but seemingly cannot pick anything up or do anything right.

I spoke to him briefly the other day and he told me he was getting UFAS and apprently has been told this will prevent him ever getting in the forces again!

He is worried doubly aswell because he has been told he won't be able to get many jobs at all since this UFAS is very bad?

I've tried to look up information but cannot find it anywhere.

When he entered he was very boderline with his debts and is not panacking like mad about not being able to get a job to ever repay them?

So then people give me a full description of this UFAS? and it's effect on getting another job, whatever job it may be

PS. I am doing ok at Lichfield, nearly in 3rd week, very tired, but worth it, and passed the military swimmin test earlier in the week, so wayyyy! :D

Yeah, I guessed something along the lines of them words.

What I'm wondering though is the implications for getting another job either in forces or civilian because he seems to be really concerned that is it very very bad!

If you are unfit for mil service at basic there is no way another arm or service will touch him. As for civvy street it shouldn't matter a toss. not as though he is getting a dishonourable discharge or admin discharge

so he can(rough guess) not apply for either of the forces again but it won't affect his civilian employment?

I just want to try and reassure him thats all people

ben1985 said:
He is worried doubly aswell because he has been told he won't be able to get many jobs at all since this UFAS is very bad?
I'd suggest whoever told him that means that if the Army cant do anything with him then neither will may civi employers ie he's one of natures floor sweepers. Is he bright enough? Does he REALLY want to be in the army or is he monging to get out of his commitment?

Yes UFAS means Unfit For Army Service

Yes it will stop him joining up again later, UFAS is not a deferment till he grows up or grows a brain, it mean he fundamentally doesn't have it in him to be a soldier

No it won't effect getting another job, unless he's silly enough to put it in his CV, most civvies won't know what it means anyway

UFAS stands for Unsuitable for Further Army Service: "unsuitable recruit, i.e. a soldier who during his first 9 months of service and while still undergoing Phase 1 and Phase 2 recruit training in a training unit, is considered to be:

(1) Unlikely to become an efficient soldier, e.g. unable to complete training to an acceptable standard.

(2) A misfit, e.g. cannot adapt to aspects of military life such as communal living.

(3) An undesirable influence.

(4) Likely to bring discredit on the Service.

(5) Unsatisfactory due to his conduct.

Either way a civialian employer wont take much notice of it because

a they probably dont understand it

b you cant get one under the new rules for persistent PFT failures and what right minded civvi employer would refuse service for not being able to run 1.5miles.

c just because you cant deal with the forces doesnt mean you wont make it as a call centre person etc

basically your mate is fine to join the workforce but is proberly better off in a non uniformed service eg no police or fire service.

Just an update for you

He was discharged today, and like he thought he was giving a UFAS

From what you people have said on here though it dosen't seem it will 'blacklist' him from most civilian jobs definitley bar any of the forces and probably police/fire service.

He's currently looking for a job at the moment, he's not a complete ******** by no means and isn't a 'doley' like some people out there and will do his best to find a job as quick as he can.

I'm just trying to reassure him that this UFAS won't really have an impact on whatever he chooses to do, like i said bar the obvious

Just out of interests then, are UFAS's common these days?

cheers, and thanks for the advice for helping my solider buddy!, i have known him since 8!

I thought SNLR (Services No Longer Required) was used more if there's too many 'numbers' as such, nothing to do with getting rid because of performance, just down to balancing the books.