• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

UDT 2016: Irish navy poised for MCM AUV capability

Ireland's Department of Defence is preparing to issue a request for tenders for an autonomous underwater vehicle (AUV) capable of hunting for sea mines.

Officials intend to procure an initial Mine Countermeasures (MCM) AUV system for the Irish Naval Service (INS) by the end of 2016, with an option for a second unit in 2017. The deal will also include a training and support package.

Although INS divers routinely utilise remotely-operated underwater vehicles (ROVs), this will be the service's first acquisition of a fully autonomous system.
More at the link
UDT 2016: Irish navy poised for MCM AUV capability - News - Shephard

4 Beckett Class. Eithne to be replaced by a similar or larger "MRV". The Peacocks to be replaced by CPVs with counter-mine capability and the two Roisin class not going anywhere soon.
I do believe the government has just increased the NS fleet by a whopping 12.5%. (1 ship).
Now, any chance of increasing the NS establishment by about 200 so that Irish sailors don't have to crew two ships at once while being on duty 400 days a year?

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Forces Pension Society Armed Forces Pension Scheme 0
Gary Cooper Ireland (ie. Irish Defence Force) 2
ScaleyAlbereto Travel 1