UCAS Points

I have a bit of a conundrum that I could use some advice on so any help would be appreciated. Basically I want to join the army as an officer but when I applied my application was rejected as they didn't recognise one of my qualifications so I subsequently didn't reach the 72 UCAS point mark and instead have 66. Since then I have decided to go to university and I'm currently studying Forensic Anthropology. I am also in the UOTC as it was recommended when I phoned up the army recruitment number. My question is if I achieve my degree whilst also doing 3 years of UOTC, would that help me to get into Sandhurst maybe with an educational waiver or would I still be rejected?

I have a bit of a conundrum that I could use some advice on so any help would be appreciated. Basically I want to join the army as an officer but when I applied my application was rejected as they didn't recognise one of my qualifications so I subsequently didn't reach the 72 UCAS point mark and instead have 66. Since then I have decided to go to university and I'm currently studying Forensic Anthropology. I am also in the UOTC as it was recommended when I phoned up the army recruitment number. My question is if I achieve my degree whilst also doing 3 years of UOTC, would that help me to get into Sandhurst maybe with an educational waiver or would I still be rejected?
The most accurate, up-to-date information will be held by the recruitment teams - just give them a ring tomorrow.

I believe that they will take the degree into account, and you should be fine (as long as you have the requisite Maths/English) - but best to check with the recruiters as my knowledge is out-of-date.

The most accurate, up-to-date information will be held by the recruitment teams - just give them a ring tomorrow.

I believe that they will take the degree into account, and you should be fine (as long as you have the requisite Maths/English) - but best to check with the recruiters as my knowledge is out-of-date.
Okay thanks, I'll give them a ring tomorrow morning and see what they say.

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
As @Tappet says, you'll get a more accurate answer from the recruiters. It used to be the case that the UCAS threshold was final - inasmuch as you could waltz up with an undergraduate and a postgraduate degree and still not clear that bar - but I'm hugely out of date.

Speak to the experts.

halloumikid

Old-Salt
Ask your CSM for an Educational Waiver form. Fill it in with clear, coherent reasons why you only have 66 UCAS points. It will go to the Senior Education Adviser at AOSB who makes the decision if your application can proceed. Be honest, don’t bluff and say how your studies are making up the shortfall.

Regards,

Halloumikid

Ask your CSM for an Educational Waiver form. Fill it in with clear, coherent reasons why you only have 66 UCAS points. It will go to the Senior Education Adviser at AOSB who makes the decision if your application can proceed. Be honest, don’t bluff and say how your studies are making up the shortfall.

Regards,

Halloumikid
I tried that on my first application but it was unfortunately rejected. I’m not sure whether my reasoning wasn’t good enough or if I was just unlucky.

Just a quick update, I phoned both my local recruitment centre and the recruitment line via the army website and they both gave different answers. One said I should be fine getting in with a degree and the other said the degree won't be enough, so looks like i'm back to square one.

Just a quick update, I phoned both my local recruitment centre and the recruitment line via the army website and they both gave different answers. One said I should be fine getting in with a degree and the other said the degree won't be enough, so looks like i'm back to square one.
Keep at it. My lad was educated in Italy from 5-17, then went to school in England for the IB.
His lack of English and Maths at GCSE initially presented a problem, but we pointed out both subjects are compulsory at IB, which is a post-GCSE course.
He did very well in the IB, so when he had explained all this to a recruiter, the latter then asked him how many UCAS point he had achieved at IB. The answer was 676.
‘Oh, so you’re only a little bit stupid then, ‘ said the recruiter with a smile.

Last edited:

Russ Abbot

Clanker
what subject and exam type was it (e.g. guessing AS level) ? Was it specifically the subject they rejected or was it just your grade that was the problem ?

what subject and exam type was it (e.g. guessing AS level) ? Was it specifically the subject they rejected or was it just your grade that was the problem ?
I have 2 A-Levels at grade C, but the one they rejected was my Level 3 Personal Training Course. I phoned up prior to starting the course and was told they accept it so that was one of the made reasons I chose it.

halloumikid

Old-Salt
I have 2 A-Levels at grade C, but the one they rejected was my Level 3 Personal Training Course. I phoned up prior to starting the course and was told they accept it so that was one of the made reasons I chose it.
I presume your Personal Trainer course did not attract UCAS points? Some do, some don’t. An AS level grade E gets you 6 UCAS points. You could do that. Or join the Reserves proper, where only 5 x GCSEs are required to get to AOSB.

I presume your Personal Trainer course did not attract UCAS points? Some do, some don’t. An AS level grade E gets you 6 UCAS points. You could do that. Or join the Reserves proper, where only 5 x GCSEs are required to get to AOSB.
The Personal Trainer course gave me UCAS points, that's how I was able to get into University because I have a total of 88 UCAS points, that's why i'm confused why I was rejected. When I phoned up today they suggested I wait a year and apply again and try get a recommendation from someone in my UOTC.

halloumikid

Old-Salt
Who was provider for your Personal Tainer Course? Did you actually complete and Educational Wiver form or did you get rejected before that?

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
A personal tainer wiver? Is that even a thing?? :)

Who was provider for your Personal Tainer Course? Did you actually complete and Educational Wiver form or did you get rejected before that?
The awarding body was Focus Awards, the qualification is on the official UCAS website. Yeah I sent off for an Educational Waiver but I think that was in my first application before I completed the PT Course.

If you get comissioned , make it a career , rise through ability - good on you.

Right now - you are student

halloumikid

Old-Salt
The awarding body was Focus Awards, the qualification is on the official UCAS website. Yeah I sent off for an Educational Waiver but I think that was in my first application before I completed the PT Course.

2 x C grades = 2 x 32, plus your Personal Tainer Course = 24, 88 total. Shouldn’t now be an issue. Speak to your CSM and send them copies of the certificates if required. The SEA at AOSB would only see your application if you needed a waiver. You don’t. Did you apply before you finished the personal trainer course?

2 x C grades = 2 x 32, plus your Personal Tainer Course = 24, 88 total. Shouldn’t now be an issue. Speak to your CSM and send them copies of the certificates if required. The SEA at AOSB would only see your application if you needed a waiver. You don’t. Did you apply before you finished the personal trainer course?
Yeah I originally applied before I had finished my Personal Trainer course so I can understand why that was rejected, but when I applied again after I had completed the course it was rejected immediately as they said I had already been rejected an educational waiver previously but I have the UCAS points now so it shouldn't be an issue.

halloumikid

Old-Salt
Yeah I originally applied before I had finished my Personal Trainer course so I can understand why that was rejected, but when I applied again after I had completed the course it was rejected immediately as they said I had already been rejected an educational waiver previously but I have the UCAS points now so it shouldn't be an issue.
Start a new application or speak to a new CSM and explain the issue.

Latest Threads