UCAS points

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by wrongsprite, Apr 23, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Right, currently finishing my last year of University, and I've noticed that they've upped the UCAS requirements for officers from 180 to 240. I've got 200, don't suppose my degree will help me out at all? I'm assuming that without the extra 40 I haven't got a chance now regardless...

Probably time to find out how to get 40 extra. 8-O
  2. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

Your degree will be worth UCAS points so add that to the total you currently have. Reemeber the other criteria though, 35 ALIS points from your top 7 GCSE's (must include Maths, English and Science or a foreign language) and at least 2 x A levels.
  3. Ah thanks, should be fine on the GCSE's, got plenty of A's and B's there, and the UCAS points I do have come from 3 A levels.
    Didn't realise the degree was worth any UCAS points though, any idea how many? I can't seem to see it on the UCAS tariff list.
  4. sup rec

sup rec LE Book Reviewer

Depends what level you get. Your uni should be able to tell you the value.
  5. Ask the uni but don't count on them knowing. It would be good to fire off an email to UCAS and get a reply back from them, print it out and keep it. It may also be worth following the email with a letter to also get a letter response back from them.

This subject interests me as I have a kiddy who will be looking for uni soon and has also expressed an interest in a military career.

The only bit of online info I have found indicating the potential value of a higher education qualification shows that a HND they deliver is worth 240 pts. Thats here:

Why a BTEC HND is a great alternative to university

Specifically this bit:

Good luck.
  6. A Bachelor's degree is 360 UCAS Points, well at UCL it is.
  7. Why does a degree give you UCAS points? Its is points to get you into university to get a degree, hence the name University College Administration Service.

Anywho, I was always under the impression that a degree over rided the need for UCAS points for officer application?
  8. Am genuinely intrigued to what degree you gained entry with 200 UCAS points?

But agree with previous poster - surely that applies only to those few brave souls these days who apply straight from school without going to university?
  9. History at Aberystwyth. I had an unconditional offer based off an entrance exam, so I'd have gotten in whatever grades I got...probably killed my motivation a bit, hence the grades being a lot lower than I would have got had I put in more effort.

I heard from a couple of people in the Navy that they turn down guys who have a degree but not enough UCAS points, though they could be wrong. To be honest, I've had mixed messages on the matter, as the above replies will probably tell you, probably just best to ask when I go to the recruiting office in a month or so.
  10. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

A degree basically trumps the UCAS points requirement, but to be certain you need to ensure you get a 2:1 or a 1st.
  11. Okay, I'm looking at a 2:1 unless my dissertation goes horribly wrong.
    If I ended up getting a 2:2, would it be worth spending a year doing an extra A-level or AS at my local college?
  12. News to me. I seemingly fit the same bill, got horrible A-levels somehow got accepted to uni ended with a 2:1. However officer is closed to me as I don't have 240.
    The way I read it is 240 in a minimun requirement. There is NO requirement for a degree unless you you're going PQO

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  13. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

You read it wrong. If you have 2:1 from a recognised university in an acceptable subject (and there are very few which aren't) then you're qualified to be an officer.
  14. Where may I ask did you hear this information? I haven't been in Officer recruiting circles for a while

Sent from my AZ210A using ARRSE mobile app
  15. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

From AOSB