UCAS Points just short but I have a 2:1 Honours degree. Will I get to selection?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by OilDE, Jul 30, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hey. I know you need 240 UCAS points to be an officer, essentially. I have 220, including general studies, as I had a very bad period during A levels. However, since then I finished a degree in IR and security studies with a 2:1. Will that put me through? If not, I suppose it wouldn't be impossible to sit as an external candidate through some A level exams at a college somewhere, some of them allow it. I could do another A level like that. Would that be accepted?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. I'd imagine it would however definitive answer - AFCO. Good luck

3. What Bryan imagines and what the actuality is are not always the same thing. In fact, not often is more accurate. If they say they want 240, then 240 is what they want. Go and find the other 20.

4. A 2:1 Hons degree trumps the 240 UCAS points as far as i am aware

5. Over the last few months, I have noticed that you are the font of all knowledge. I am very impressed.

Wetsmonkey - Living the dream.

• Like Like x 1
  6. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Yes, a 2:1 gets you over the line. No need to worry.

7. Especially since the system is designed not only to show what someone has acheived but what they are capable of. Therefore, uni places are provisionaly awarded on anticipated A-level results - the degree being the apex of formal education. I find it hard therefore to beleive that someone with a degree would be mag to grided becuase they never completed a cookery dem in their domestic science module.

I was anticipated 3 A's, I got 2 B's and a C however my uni of choice still took me and I went on from there. The AIB accepted this, I'm sure the Army Board do as well. You only have to look at Prince Harry's academic acheivement to see this however I'm sure having the Queen as granny probably helps.

8. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

It certainly used to be the case that you could get a short service commission on 5 grade A-C GCE O Levels, provided that you passed the RCB, so maybe Prince Harry got 'Grandmother rights' on that. In any case, he achieved a straight pass at AOSB: he wouldn't have got to RMAS without that.

9. Cpunk - I appreciate your standard form response however could you imagine any of them FAILING it? I seem to recall that Edward, in an interview, had absolutely no interest whatsoever in a military career yet it was chosen for him. In fact, I have a lot of admiration for him given the fact that he quit over what must have been immense pressure. Harry, excellent at his job that I'm sure he is, wouldn't be doing it if his surname wasn't Wales.

To the OP, I'm pretty damn sure a 2:1 will get you through the door, what you do after that is completely up to you.

10. There speaks the voice of no military experience at all!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

11. Interestingly (or not), the RN takes the opposite view - UCAS points (and GCSEs) trump degree.

12. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Weird. The 240 UCAS points is the 'minimum' standard for the army, so clearly trumped by a degree.

BryanTheMegalodon: A friend involved in training Prince Edward's batch told me that he had been doing fine but his heart wasn't in it which is why he quit. If Harry had failed AOSB, they would have just kept quiet about it; it's a small and fairly non-leaky organisation.