Ubuntu 10.10 will not connect through wireless

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by keeffy, Jan 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ok all i need help i cannot connect my laptop through wireless it started when i upgraded to 10.10 any super geeks out there that can sort it via code i would be grateful
  2. What laptop are you using?
  3. im using an acer extensa 5235 and have had other versions running with no problem also i can connect via wire
  4. acer extensa 5235
  5. Most likely need to get hold of the wireless drivers again... I had to do the same on mine when I updated a few versions back.
  6. Ok although im using linux you will have to explain that to me how do i go about doing that
  7. Hi you would be better off going to the ubuntu freq asked questions on their forum or you can post a request for help directly on the ubuntu support webpage they are very helpful. Hope that helps my Pc uses ubuntu Natty Narwhal 11.04 wireless and wired no probs its a pre release so can`t comment on back releases sorry.
  8. Yes im going through help on the forum at the moment i may have to try 11.04 and see if that helps
  9. Yep go through the FAQs but if you don`t get anywhere there is a section to ask for assistance via email (I found them very good at this).
    Make sure you have all the latest updates installed and also the restricted drivers installed. Just go to the software centre type "restricted" and install them. There are quite a lot of queries out there if you search on ubuntu and wireless on google etc.
  10. Ubuntu only has support for certain chipsets. Check out "https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WirelessCardsSupported"
    but if it isn't being picked up I wouldn't expect it to work, hardware support is normally pretty good if there are drivers available.
    You could try looking at the list and getting a dongle that is supported or alternatively run a cable.