Uber - Tell us. How was it for You?

Don’t know about the US, but here in Oz the cars have to be less than ten years old and less than 100000km. Most of cars I’ve booked have been Korean mod sized SUVs, often new and financed specifically for Uber work.

The qualification for Sydney’s taxi fleet appears to be “more than ten years old and no less than 500000km”. They’re often sheds with vinyl seats and floors so that bogan puke can we washed out. Often the card payment systems doesn’t work. These are being replaced by Prius and Camry hybrids which lose the advantage of size.
that credit card system being broken is so they can work off the books.

Used it once to get from Warsaw to Modlin airport and it was a brilliant experience. Boiling hot day and the driver arrived bang on time in a nicely airconned A6 with bottles of cold water for us and the kids.
Much less cost and hassle than finding a shitty cab in the street.

My only gripe was that until 5 mins before the pickup we had no idea if a car was coming at all, which was a bit of a worry with a late flight to catch..

I've used tem in London lots and I think they're fine. Cheap, reliable and with a Smartwatch I just need to tap the watch to summon one. One thing to be aware of is the fact that Uber rates it's passengers as much as it's drivers. If your rating drops below 4.5 you may find it difficult to get a ride, especially for a short distance. If it drops below 4.0 then you'll be lucky if you get a ride at all.

I'm off to Paris at the end of the month, has anyone any experience of Uber in Paris. Anything must be better than the French licenced cab drivers?

I've used tem in London lots and I think they're fine. Cheap, reliable and with a Smartwatch I just need to tap the watch to summon one. One thing to be aware of is the fact that Uber rates it's passengers as much as it's drivers. If your rating drops below 4.5 you may find it difficult to get a ride, especially for a short distance. If it drops below 4.0 then you'll be lucky if you get a ride at all.

I'm off to Paris at the end of the month, has anyone any experience of Uber in Paris. Anything must be better than the French licenced cab drivers?
Yep. Used one last year to get from CdG to the 15th Arr. (should have flown to Orly, but never mind). Absolutely no problem other than it costing 50 yoyo's, but then, it's a fair distance. It was certainly a lot quicker than the tram/train combo that I used to get back to CdG.

Used it once to get from Warsaw to Modlin airport and it was a brilliant experience. Boiling hot day and the driver arrived bang on time in a nicely airconned A6 with bottles of cold water for us and the kids.
Much less cost and hassle than finding a shitty cab in the street.

My only gripe was that until 5 mins before the pickup we had no idea if a car was coming at all, which was a bit of a worry with a late flight to catch..
Surely it would show up on the map in the app so you can track your car right up to arrival?

I’ve just spent the weekend in Warsaw. I didn’t bother with Uber because the taxis are so cheap; six quid to get from Chopin to the Old Town in a near new Toyota RAV. It’s almost like the taxi industry has responded to Uber competitively rather than complaining to a regulator.

Always found Uber to be great, turns up quicker than a private hire and is usually cheaper. App works in other countries too, in some places it's cheaper than the bus.

My experience of Uber have been mixed.

When I was in London I tended to use Addisson Lee (large private hire) as they are a large org, prompt and cheap.
Drivers are all well turned out and cars in tip top condition.

I have had a few Ubers booked for me when in London. My main concerns are the lack of checks on the driver, the fact only 20% of my drivers could not navigate without the use of satnav, even on a short journey.
One driver did not speak English at all, or read it given the Road Closed signs we went through.

Some drivers have been absolutely ace and a good laugh.

There is also the point of the driver's being exploited by Uber to boost profits (lots of newspaper articles on it).

It is an open market and anyone can pick their service provider.

I want safe and ethical and will pay for it.

Reasons not to give money to the Uber business model:

'Lance Armstrong: Uber investment ‘saved our family’
The disgraced cyclist has revealed the stunning amount of money he’s made after getting in on the ground level with the ridesharing app.'

Lance Armstrong’s insane Uber windfall

The disgraced cyclist has revealed the stunning amount of money he’s made after getting in on the ground level with the ridesharing app.'

So do you check the shareholder registers of every company you consider spending money with? Early investor in start up makes a lot of money. Shock horror.

Yep. Used one last year to get from CdG to the 15th Arr. (should have flown to Orly, but never mind). Absolutely no problem other than it costing 50 yoyo's, but then, it's a fair distance. It was certainly a lot quicker than the tram/train combo that I used to get back to CdG.
An update just to say when we were in Paris just after the current mrs_mush had broken her leg the Uber drivers were ace. Turned up on time, at the right place, decent routes chosen by their app - on one occasion the driver overrode it as there was 16 French workmen watching a two French workmen dig up the road. On one occasion a driver even drove down a pedestrian area just so the current mrs_mush didn't have to walk an extra 30 yds to the restaurant.

No hassles, no language issues, and decently cheap. 10/10 from me.

More than half/most of SV's large tech companies have significant investments from Khashoggi killers, amongst other dodgy sources. How do you square that?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I dropped off the car for MOT. Got a city taxi back. He reckons that they took a hit when Uber moved in, but people are generally coming back to them because they feel Uber drivers rip them off.

I dropped off the car for MOT. Got a city taxi back. He reckons that they took a hit when Uber moved in, but people are generally coming back to them because they feel Uber drivers rip them off.
How? You agree the price when you book the ride, only tip if you want to and can give them a shit review if they pull into an alley and rape you.

I dropped off the car for MOT. Got a city taxi back. He reckons that they took a hit when Uber moved in, but people are generally coming back to them because Uber drivers feel them up.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
How? You agree the price when you book the ride, only tip if you want to and can give them a shit review if they pull into an alley and rape you.
Ask the taxi driver. I don't have or use an Uber app. I wouldn't know.