UAV battery during the '60s?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by naked_mole_rat, Feb 3, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anybody know which Royal Artillery battery operated the SD 1 drones that came into service during the 1960s?
  2. Thanks for the link. I believe drones first came into service in the mid 60's so there wouldn't have been any before 1964 making 57 Battery probably the first to have them. They still operate drones today (though obviously a different type) as part of 32 Regt.
  3. The Navy actually developed a UAV in the 1930s called the Queen Bee - not sure if this is where we get the term "drone" from...

The one you are looking for however was the MQM 57 Falconer drone made by Northrop, also known as the AN/USD 1 ..

Northrop MQM-57 Falconer

This was replaced in the 70s by the AN/USD 501 Midge drone built by Canadair...

never used in anger, however the triple lens camera was mounted in the DH Beaver and used in NI by the RIC flights. Took three photos simulatiously, one vertical and two low oblique...
  4. Some years ago there was an article in the RA Journal about the introduction of SD1

5. Sorry but who where the RIC?
  6. They were salvo firing them during Granby, one of my mates was an IA with the Bty! There was one dit of a Bedouin who came in from the desert to complain about one of mr Saddam's SCUDs that had landed on his tent... When EOD went to investigate, they found a Midge Drone...
  7. (Wah shield on) Reconnaissance Intelligence Cell, not Royal Irish Constabulary... ;P (Wah shield off)
  8. Pedantic, but I think it was Centre rather than Cell. I seem to remember the Midge was quite a delicate load - no wonder they crashed after the Truckies had thrown them on and off the wagons.
  9. ... I stand corrected!

I thought they had gone out of service by that point..

... and yes Reconnaissance Intelligence Centre!

.. saved my arrse more than once!
    • Like Like x 1