u2 Spy Plane Crashed

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Capt Cheeky, Jun 22, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. A US Air Force U-2 spy plane has crashed in south-west Asia, the US military has said.

[​IMG]

The crash occurred at 2330 GMT on Tuesday, according to a short written statement from US Central Command.

It gave no further details of the plane's mission and said the cause of the crash and the condition of the pilot were currently unknown.

The U-2 is a high-altitude surveillance aircraft first developed in the Cold War and manned by a single pilot.

2. Full story (so far) is here

3. Fingers crossed for the pilot. The last U2 pilot (Gary Powers) to come down in an unfriendly neighbourhood, spent 10 years in a Soviet prison.

4. Ref the Garu Powers crash, it has provided lots of conspiracy theorists with loads to chat about considering Lee Harvey Oswald defected just before the crash and he had worked in Japan as a radar operator at the base from where the U2 flew. Watch out for some bizarre opinions on this crash as well.

5. Spotterish question, but how many other RAF/ USAF planes are there in service as old as the U2? I know the B-52's are 1950's era and still flying, but are there others? I mean, the U2's must be held together with duct tape by now.

V!

6. Canberra PR 9

The original model of the canberra first flew back in 1949ish.

7. Spotterish reply. Most if not all U2s were rebuild to TR1 standard in the late 70's early 80's. They are old but the airframe and engines are simpler than MDN.

[​IMG]

I think our own Canberra PR9s could qualify too

[​IMG]

8. If the Soviets had deployed an airburst chemical weapon that dissolved 'Harry Blackers', we'd be typing this in cyrillic.

On a completely unrelated point, a USAF throttle jock once told me that the U2 crews have been known to heat up their rations by placing them next to the cockpit wall for a few minutes. Air friction does the rest.

9. Fair one, must be some feat eating rations through a space suit though!

[​IMG]

Methinks "your mate" is telling porkies.

10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Do Martin-Baker still fly their Meteor? It was certainly in use up to a few years ago?

11. I think the upgraded U2 has a pressurised cockpit and the spacesuit is only worn in case internal atmospheric integrity is compromised.
    However. I'm sure that the aircraft is insulated in order to stop the transfer of heat due to air-friction from the outer skin to the cockpit. After all, in a confined space, if you had hot-spots capable of cooking your rats, it would also cook the pilot.

12. i used to heat up by boil in the bags by leaving them on top of my 353! :wink:

13. I flew 2nd jock in a Meteor TT20 in 1958 at RNAS Hal Far in Malta and the instructions were to to dive for the engine if in trouble as that way when leaving you would possibly avoid the tail! No ejection seat in the Meteor in those days. We had just lost one out to sea the previous week and I was crapping myself [was only 16 at the time though]. Good days though with non of todays PC crap or silly H&S issues.

14. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

The E3-D Sentry currently operated by the RAF is based on the Boeing 707, which started life in 1952.

The C-130 Hercules first flew in 1954.

Probably the oldest unaltered type still in service is the VC10.