u2 Spy Plane Crashed

A US Air Force U-2 spy plane has crashed in south-west Asia, the US military has said.

The crash occurred at 2330 GMT on Tuesday, according to a short written statement from US Central Command.

It gave no further details of the plane's mission and said the cause of the crash and the condition of the pilot were currently unknown.

The U-2 is a high-altitude surveillance aircraft first developed in the Cold War and manned by a single pilot.

U.S. spy plane crashes in southwest Asia

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A U.S. U-2 spy plane has crashed in southwest Asia, but the military has not disclosed the location of the crash or any of the circumstances.

The U.S. Air Force, in a short written statement, said the cause of the crash and the fate of the U-2 pilot was not known.

The U-2, a single-seat jet able to fly at high altitudes on surveillance missions, has been flown by the U.S. Air Force for over 50 years.

Officials said the plane went down Tuesday evening.
Full story (so far) is here

Fingers crossed for the pilot. The last U2 pilot (Gary Powers) to come down in an unfriendly neighbourhood, spent 10 years in a Soviet prison.

Ref the Garu Powers crash, it has provided lots of conspiracy theorists with loads to chat about considering Lee Harvey Oswald defected just before the crash and he had worked in Japan as a radar operator at the base from where the U2 flew. Watch out for some bizarre opinions on this crash as well.

Spotterish question, but how many other RAF/ USAF planes are there in service as old as the U2? I know the B-52's are 1950's era and still flying, but are there others? I mean, the U2's must be held together with duct tape by now.

V!

Spotterish reply. Most if not all U2s were rebuild to TR1 standard in the late 70's early 80's. They are old but the airframe and engines are simpler than MDN.

I think our own Canberra PR9s could qualify too

Vegetius said:
I mean, the U2's must be held together with duct tape by now.
If the Soviets had deployed an airburst chemical weapon that dissolved 'Harry Blackers', we'd be typing this in cyrillic.

On a completely unrelated point, a USAF throttle jock once told me that the U2 crews have been known to heat up their rations by placing them next to the cockpit wall for a few minutes. Air friction does the rest.

stickybomb said:
On a completely unrelated point, a USAF throttle jock once told me that the U2 crews have been known to heat up their rations by placing them next to the cockpit wall for a few minutes. Air friction does the rest.
Fair one, must be some feat eating rations through a space suit though!

Methinks "your mate" is telling porkies.

Capt Cheeky said:
stickybomb said:
Fair one, must be some feat eating rations through a space suit though!

Methinks "your mate" is telling porkies.
I think the upgraded U2 has a pressurised cockpit and the spacesuit is only worn in case internal atmospheric integrity is compromised.
However. I'm sure that the aircraft is insulated in order to stop the transfer of heat due to air-friction from the outer skin to the cockpit. After all, in a confined space, if you had hot-spots capable of cooking your rats, it would also cook the pilot.

I flew 2nd jock in a Meteor TT20 in 1958 at RNAS Hal Far in Malta and the instructions were to to dive for the engine if in trouble as that way when leaving you would possibly avoid the tail! No ejection seat in the Meteor in those days. We had just lost one out to sea the previous week and I was crapping myself [was only 16 at the time though]. Good days though with non of todays PC crap or silly H&S issues.

The E3-D Sentry currently operated by the RAF is based on the Boeing 707, which started life in 1952.

The C-130 Hercules first flew in 1954.

Probably the oldest unaltered type still in service is the VC10.

Rest easy sir, you've done your bit.

ref the heating the rations up agianst the side of the cabin

1. air friction will be very low up there due to the thin air
2. U2 flys quite slow so i cant see the heat biulding up

could be meaning the SR71 blackbird? that certainly gets extremmly hot

Probably the oldest unaltered type still in service is the VC10.
yep

and the PR9 is older than the U2 yet it has photgraphic kit far in advance than the U2
U2 is mostly used for listening in to comms

"could be meaning the SR71 blackbird? that certainly gets extremmly hot"

I agree - I heard the story from a SR-71 pilot at Mildenhall back in the '80s. I thought that the U2/TR1 spent a lot of its flight time practically gliding?

(I'll just put the spotting book away now)

2 posts deleted

Guys , please don't speculate where this happened , I'm sure we'll know soon enough. Also commentary on U2 operations, even past ones is a wee bit sensitive, so please remember that.

Regards

PTP

Didn't Gary Powers die in an unexplained Helo accident?