U18s to be excused prison in Scotland

I did once start a thread about thread titles you misread. If I could be bothered to look for it, I'd add,

U18s to be excuted in prison in Scotland​

Harsh but fair in my opinion

Ah, those wonderful Milton boys. When I lived at Novar gardens I was able to cite them as the wrongdoers for every misdemeanour I undertook as a boy.
As a Balgrayhill boy, I have to say they deserved it, the blacknecks.

No. If it was a joke it went right over my head.

In fact I thought that it was mildly offensive. If you had disagreed with me then I would wish to be educated and I might change my view. However, water under bridge. Let us not derail the thread.

On independence, I think that it would be a great shame for the Union to be broken but I would respect the wishes of the people. I would also find it disappointing if Scotland remained in the Union purely for economic reasons. I don't think that the apparent dislike of the English would be alleviated if that was the case.
I am completely convinced that the Scots have no inherent dislike of the English. They do on the other hand generally have an abhorrence of the Conservative Party which is often confused with an anti-English sentiment. The real 'enemy' of course, were the Labour Party for all of the years where their only interest in Scotland was the ease with which they could acquire parliamentary seats in an arrangement where the constituents were forgotton and the 'power' pooled to gain leverage at Westminster. Between the two of them, the two main parties in the UK effectively prepared the ground for the SNP.

But while I do support the 'national' things the SNP has done/tried to do for the population, that did not/does not require 'independence'. The SNP are going to make the same mistake as the other two by seeking 'power' rather than settling for the good wishes of a grateful nation.

ETA: My disagreement with you on this issue is in no way intended to be offensive, mild or otherwise. ;)

Under 18s will no longer be sent to young offenders institutions

This is not another attempt to fuel the flog em and hang em outrage bus, but to take a hard look at our political elite and question their fitness for purpose and relevance to society at large. This proposal suggests that they have never met a teenage delinquent in the flesh on their home turf, and have certainly never been inside the drug raddled buildings that they identify as home.

Who on earth do they imagine is going to provide this love and support? The single parent mum who had a very similar upbringing or the dad they haven't seen since he went down for a stretch in the big house? The architects of this proposal just reek of the soft middle class sixth form common room. It seems to be a reworking of Cameron's "hug a hoodie" initiative, just as ill informed, but more dangerous.

Note that Queen Nicola has signed the covers with pledges of support "I will keep the promise".

View attachment 652015

Leaders should lead by example - so if they implement a new 'idea' they should test it in their own homes first.

I'd rather return to the ' flog them and hang them' model, personally.

This is not another attempt to fuel the flog em and hang em outrage bus, but to take a hard look at our political elite and question their fitness for purpose and relevance to society at large. This proposal suggests that they have never met a teenage delinquent in the flesh on their home turf, and have certainly never been inside the drug raddled buildings that they identify as home.

Who on earth do they imagine is going to provide this love and support? The single parent mum who had a very similar upbringing or the dad they haven't seen since he went down for a stretch in the big house? The architects of this proposal just reek of the soft middle class sixth form common room. It seems to be a reworking of Cameron's "hug a hoodie" initiative, just as ill informed, but more dangerous.

Note that Queen Nicola has signed the covers with pledges of support "I will keep the promise".

View attachment 652015

This is why I find it difficult to feel much sympathy for politicians, lawyers etc who become victims of violent crime themselves.

You dug this cesspit. Wallow in it.

Old Stab

LE
Book Reviewer

View attachment 652015
Bloody hell!

At first glance I thought it said "Under 18s to be executed in prison"

Saw it with Labour's 'no custodial sentences for juveniles for burglaries of commercial premises', burglaries of commercial premises by juveniles drove out businesses.

Daz

LE

DarkBrig

War Hero
As a Balgrayhill boy, I have to say they deserved it, the blacknecks.
I lived in Milton of Campsie, when my decidedly middle class self went into Glasgow one day in the early 80's (Mitchell St) , I was accosted by some kids about my age obviously intent on relieving me of any assets I had, prior to the inevitable transfer of cash, they asked me where I was from - I stammered Milton at which point they, nodded sagely about faced and buggered off. I've always had a soft spot for the real Milton after that.

Anyone who lived that close to Lulu has my eternal admiration.
I was born in the same hospital as Lulu. But a little later.

Well actually a lot later, but I had one of my earliest crushes on her from when I saw her singing the man who sold the world.
I hadn't even got to big school when she replaced Valerie Singleton.

Last edited:
I was born in the same hospital as Lulu. But a little later.

Well actually a lot later, but I had one of my earliest crushes on her from when I saw her singing the man who sold the world.
I hadn't even got to big school when she replaced Valerie Singleton.

It's a small world. I played football at Colston when it was still a red ash pitch (still have the scars). Then a bit later there were some tiered pitches in the Springburn area - they had a name I can't recall. I used to think Bishopbriggs was in the country (guess it was). Then I ended up at Stobhill hospital after getting a kick in the knackers during a match at the pitch near Kenmore Church. Wonderful innocent days.

I am completely convinced that the Scots have no inherent dislike of the English. They do on the other hand generally have an abhorrence of the Conservative Party which is often confused with an anti-English sentiment. The real 'enemy' of course, were the Labour Party for all of the years where their only interest in Scotland was the ease with which they could acquire parliamentary seats in an arrangement where the constituents were forgotton and the 'power' pooled to gain leverage at Westminster. Between the two of them, the two main parties in the UK effectively prepared the ground for the SNP.

But while I do support the 'national' things the SNP has done/tried to do for the population, that did not/does not require 'independence'. The SNP are going to make the same mistake as the other two by seeking 'power' rather than settling for the good wishes of a grateful nation.

ETA: My disagreement with you on this issue is in no way intended to be offensive, mild or otherwise. ;)
Try growing up there with an English accent.

We spend eff all on kids. Local authorities used to have a significant budget to spend on youth facilities and trained youth workers to target children getting them off the streets and learning skills such as car mechanics, encouraging education and providing sports opportunities to let of steam etc.

Those budgets were the first to be cut under “austerity” cuts. The facilities were closed and the land sold off and the youth workers sacked.

Those same kids are now running around the streets in gangs dealing drugs and making the streets unsafe for ordinary people to walk around in.
'Surestart' was an attempt at early, relatively low-key intervention.
So of course it was junked by Cameron.

Try growing up there with an English accent.
I did it in reverse. I grew up in Essex with a Glasgow accent. Went to Romford Tech, all the guys wanted to know was 'could I kick a ball' (I mean ffs, is the pope a Catholic?) The girls on the other hand, "Go on Jock, say sumink". I lost my accent pretty sharpish, learned all about West 'am and had a wonderful life.

I lived in Milton of Campsie, when my decidedly middle class self went into Glasgow one day in the early 80's (Mitchell St) , I was accosted by some kids about my age obviously intent on relieving me of any assets I had, prior to the inevitable transfer of cash, they asked me where I was from - I stammered Milton at which point they, nodded sagely about faced and buggered off. I've always had a soft spot for the real Milton after that.
I was born in Campsie Glen at the now-defunct Lenox Castle - I hasten to add, at the time around WW2 and the immediate aftermath when it was used as an overspill maternity hospital for greater Glasgow. (For the sake of the uninitiated, it had been, and became again a nuthouse!)

However, I digress. Many moons later, not that long ago, I ventured back to take a look at the hallowed halls, and two things happened. First I could almost feel my grannie turning in her grave when I found out that the hallowed halls of Lennox had been purchased by none other than Glasgow Celtic FC and transformed into a training ground. Grannie was a bigoted Rangers woman! Second, however, I ventured into a local pub. It was a quiet day and I decided I would try my newfound sarf london accent on the attractive barmaid. (Well, she was the only barmaid in the room if you get what I mean). Anyway, she seemed chatty, 'you're not from around here' she offered. "Oh, but I am", "I was born up at the castle". 'Oh aye', she replied, good luck to ye then and she buggered off!