U18s to be excused prison in Scotland

They'll be placed in secure care much like young people who have committed similar serious crimes whereby they'll undertake specific targeted interventions to address maladaptive behaviours that caused them to act in such a manner.

Once successfully rehabilitated having minimised their risk of recidivism they'll undertake a comprehensive transition package back into the community.

So locked up in prison?

Stop scum from having children. The issue of damaged teens on the rampage will be reduced within a generation. The state might then be able to afford holistic care packages for problem kids.
My brother taught in secondary schools and sat on the Children's Panel for a number of years. Based on his experiences in both he suggested a new version of the 11 plus. If the pupil could not recite the ten times table and read the time on an analogue clock face they should go visit the nurse next door and be sterilised.

So I have a question...

What happens when you get a James Bulger style incident? Here's £200, off you go back home?

Good question. However, those boys weren’t sent to a young offenders institution. They were sent to secure homes, ran by social services. These still exist, as they have to.
The homes that Venables and Thompson were sent to weren’t just for murderers, some of these kids were just too damaged to live with foster parents. Some of them weren’t in there for actual serious crimes.
The Bulger case was quite unprecedented.

• Offer the various islands a form of Crown Dependency status, out of the clutches of Edinburgh.
  • Allow the conservative border regions contiguous with England to remain in the UK.
  • Invite Scotlands professional classes and skilled workers to retain their UK citizenship and move south.
  • Ask the Poles and our friends in the Baltic to veto Scotlands EU application.
  • Systematically sabotage any other Scottish ventures onto the world stage.
  • Generally reduce Scotland to economic vassal status and dictate its foreign policy.

• Get Scotland to invest heavily into some hair-brained scheme and then repossess the country when it inevitably goes broke (again).
  • Declare HMNB Clyde and environs a SBA. Oh, and the Goven shipyards because of their strategic importance to rUK.

Ecosse

On ROPS
On ROPs

At 14 you can:​

• Get a job on a Saturday for up to 5 hours, and for no more than 2 hours on school days (not before 7am or after 7pm). During school holidays you can work on weekdays (including Saturdays) for 5 hours, with an overall weekly limit of 25 hours. You should not work for more than 4 hours in one day without a 1 hour break. You must be allowed two work free weeks during school holidays.
  • Drive an electronically assisted pedal bike.
  • Vote and stand in an election for the Scottish Youth Parliament.

At 15 you can:​

• See a ‘15’ rated film on your own and rent or buy a '15' rated film.
  • If you are under 16 and have a child it is your decision whether or not to give the child up for adoption. Only your consent is required.
  • Work up to eight hours per day, and 35 hours per week during holidays.

At 16 you can:​

• Get married.
  • Enter into a civil partnership.
  • Consent to lawful sexual intercourse.
  • Leave home without your parents/guardians’ consent.
  • Apply for your own home through your local council.
  • Have access to many more banking facilities, including all adult services, except overdrafts and credit.
  • Buy wine, beer, cider or perry to drink in a restaurant with a meal when a responsible adult is present, but cannot buy it in a bar, off-licence or supermarket.
  • Join a trade union.
  • Drive a moped, invalid carriage, small agricultural tractor, or mowing machine.
  • Leave school. If you are 16 between 1 March and 30 September you can leave after 31 May of that year and if you are 16 between 1 October and the last day of February you can leave at the start of the Christmas holidays in that school year.
  • Get a full-time job and pay National Insurance.
  • Choose your own GP.
  • Change your name without the consent of your parent or guardian.
  • Be sent to a young offenders' institution.
  • Be prosecuted in the Justice of the Peace, Sheriff or High Court
  • Buy a National Lottery ticket or scratch card (there is no age restriction on a private lottery ticket).
  • Stand for election to become a member of a Community Council in certain areas.
  • If adopted, get information about your natural parents.
  • Join the armed forces, but not to train as an officer. You will also need parental consent if you are under the age of 18. You can apply from the age of 15 years 9 months.
  • Be legally responsible for babysitting.
  • Apply for a passport without parental/guardian consent.
  • Choose legal representation without parental involvement.
  • Consent to medical treatment (if you are under 16 you can also consent to medical treatment if you are capable of understanding the nature and possible consequences of the procedure and treatment).
  • Opt out of being an organ donor.
  • Earn the National Minimum Wage for 16 and 17 year olds.
  • Work as a waiter or waitress in a hotel or restaurant.
  • Buy Premium Bonds.
  • Get a piercing without parental/guardian consent.
  • Buy a pet – you can own a pet before you’re 16 but you can’t buy one yourself without a parent present until you’re 16.
  • You must pay full fare on buses and trains (unless you have a Young Scot card which gives you a 1/3 off single bus fares and up to a 1/2 off train fares!).
  • Officially change your name without parental/guardian consent.
  • Vote in a Scottish Parliament election and in a local council election.

At 17 you can:​

• Hold a license to drive a car, small motorcycle or tractor.
  • Hold a private pilot's licence.
  • Give blood.
  • Train to be an officer in the Armed Forces (Army from 17 years 9 months, Navy from 17 years, Air Force from 17 years 6 months).
  • It is still possible for you to be adopted if you are under 18 and not married.

But A'hm still just a wee wean ken so yeez kun shuv yer Jile up yer erse M'lud.
A'hm aff ootah here fur mah weekend gear 'n McD.

You are entitled to your interpretation of my comment. However strange it may be.
That's very kind of you. Taken in context (see opening thread post), does it not occur to you that my comment might have been a joke?

Regarding Scottish Independence, I don't see that as strange at all. I had the same belief.............until world events and economic realities set in. That said, it would be quite wonderful to leg it up to Argyll, Ardnamurchan, or the Sands of Morar, read some books, have picnics, take in the scenery and so on. Idyllic harmony with all you can see.............until the oil runs out, or Putin decides to radiate Gairloch and so on.

The Scotland I love is a utopia that can indeed be enjoyed, for the odd week in the summer before heading back to reality.

I like the description of the absconders heading to Milton though "fields", abandoned brownfield site that's not valuable enough for housing isn't "fields".
Ah, those wonderful Milton boys. When I lived at Novar gardens I was able to cite them as the wrongdoers for every misdemeanour I undertook as a boy.

Attachments

• the krankies.jpg.gallery.jpg
    the krankies.jpg.gallery.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 3

Ecosse

On ROPS
On ROPs
@Kinch
Having lived here for nigh on 70 years ( this June) I'd say most of us Jocks have a pretty good grip on reality.
You have so much kettled over-populated concrete and tarmac reality, we have ours.
It's why our roads clog every summer with Dahn Saffy jaded escapees...to get some fresh air and reconnect.
To a different "reality".
My English nephew is touring the West Coast as I speak...and does not want to return to his English Riveria...nor does his wife. I expect fully they are ready to sell up and relocate. I on the other hand think where they live is top dollar. Really nice bit.
He has a really posh 1st division quality mobile curry business...can do that any place with licences.

rgjbloke

On ROPS
On ROPs
It's everyones Yuman Rite to breed - That some are not fit to breed is never addressed / dealt with.

Too many adopt the get rich quick mantra - Usually by illegal means.

We do spend money on kids - That is why there are far more kids who are decent people, who contribute to society, than there are feral kids.

Feral kids have always been a part of modern society - The ones with gumption and something about them drag themselves away from the feral life.
We spend eff all on kids. Local authorities used to have a significant budget to spend on youth facilities and trained youth workers to target children getting them off the streets and learning skills such as car mechanics, encouraging education and providing sports opportunities to let of steam etc.

Those budgets were the first to be cut under “austerity” cuts. The facilities were closed and the land sold off and the youth workers sacked.

Those same kids are now running around the streets in gangs dealing drugs and making the streets unsafe for ordinary people to walk around in.

The Scotland I love is a utopia that can indeed be enjoyed, for the odd week in the summer before heading back to reality.
I think it’s a bit like Brigadoon!

Konstabel_Els

Old-Salt
That's very kind of you. Taken in context (see opening thread post), does it not occur to you that my comment might have been a joke?
No. If it was a joke it went right over my head.

In fact I thought that it was mildly offensive. If you had disagreed with me then I would wish to be educated and I might change my view. However, water under bridge. Let us not derail the thread.

On independence, I think that it would be a great shame for the Union to be broken but I would respect the wishes of the people. I would also find it disappointing if Scotland remained in the Union purely for economic reasons. I don't think that the apparent dislike of the English would be alleviated if that was the case.

Those same kids are now running around the streets in gangs dealing drugs and making the streets unsafe for ordinary people to walk around in.

Well -The kids that were running the streets in the 60's & 70's in gangs are certainly not the same kids running the streets today in gangs.

Or perhaps those gangs of the 60's / 70's are a figment of my imagination.

Stop making excuses like '' Austerity cuts '' for a problem that has existed long before '' Austerity cuts '' even became a thing.

Hit the Tit

Clanker
Stop scum from having children. The issue of damaged teens on the rampage will be reduced within a generation. The state might then be able to afford holistic care packages for problem kids.
This is the root of the problem. The benefits system enables (even actively incentivises) wretches that would have died in a gutter somewhere to breed copies of themselves to continue the cycle.