U-Turn on Home-to-Duty

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by Alamo, Mar 29, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I see that there has been a U-turn on the planned increases in personal contributions to Home to Duty (Public), ie we will not go to the 6 and 9-mile personal contributions as previously planned. Result!
    Of all the changes to allowances this was by far the most unfair IMO, and well done to those who (successfully) fought the case.

2. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Really? What with loss of RRA(L) and the rise in HDT, I stood to lose substantial pennies. You got a link?

3. I heard this in work as well today although no one had the paperwork.

4. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

There's an article on AFF website. Cant link to the bugger

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE

5. It was canned due to a number of reasons none of which had anything to do with anyone 'fighting our cause'. Cost of implementation and lateness in any decision as to whether it would go ahead or not were the 2 main causes for it being canned ... don't believe everything you read !!!!!!

6. Army Families Federation

7. I also wonder how many of the armed forces live more than 3 miles from their place of work.

8. Guns

Guns LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. The Royal Navy

Loads, especially in the Navy.

9. How many is loads? They go to sea/tour for some time,

10. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

Unlike the Army lots of the FQ are on patches some distance from the Naval Bases and Shore Bases. I live 15 miles from work, well NCHQ at least. In fact after they removed the Gosport Ferry concession because it spoilt the Joint rules people travelling from Gosport to Portsmouth are well over that limit. Same at Faslane, it being over 3 miles to Helensburgh. I don't have numbers, sorry, but I am sure other Naval types will back me up.

11. But surely a sizeable chunk of the navy are at sea/tour? So can't claim?

12. Guns

1. The Royal Navy

Not sure if the ship is alongside if you can claim. Anyone know???

13. My main point being, I wonder how many people (at any one time) will claim for over 3 miles.

Most singlies (in all services) live on base.
    Several thousand pads (mainly in the army) are on tour.
    X amount of Navy are bear chasing or whatever you do on the high seas.
    Tens of thousands of armed forces are about to get the sack.
    Super garrision are going to put thousands of armed forces closer to their base.
    Quite a few pads live under the 3 mile limit.

So is this really going to benefit alot of people or is the cost going to be peanuts but will be touted as saving a major allowance?

14. That's not the real point IMO. I had a big issue with the morality of one serviceman quartered on base walking to work for nothing and his oppo who, through no fault of his own, is placed on a dispersed MQ site 10 miles from base having to pay for the privelage. I know at least one service chief had a personal beef with it as well and directed his staff to address the issue. This may or may not have had a direct effect on this outcome, but that doesn't make it less right.