U.S. to Fund Pro-American Publicity in Iraqi Media

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by KGB_resident, Oct 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/10/02/AR2008100204223.html?hpid=topnews

It's interesting would 'the contractors' visit ARRSE?

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

They're not very original are they? They've been watching ZANU NL in action with it's publicly funded 'documentaries'.

3. If they did visit Arrse, all the Arabs' worst fears about us infidels being decadent, amoral barbarians would be confirmed at a stroke ;)

4. ... especially after reading The NAAFI...

5. My bold - beware - KGB Resident psyops at work.

6. Explanation is much simpler, mate. The article is worth to be read in full. I only placed the most interesting fragments and ... failed to mention that one of them

was not actually copied.

As you may see the Americans waging psychological operations prefer to use euphemism to describe it.

By the way, one could expect that in days of severe financial crisis it would be logical to cut or postpone ineffective spendings.

7. Are you calling me out Sergei? (I was in PSYOP or 'psyops' as the shopkeepers call it). :twisted:

8. No, of course no, I didn't mean you Virgil. I meant that it would be interesting to conversate with 'the contractors', to test their abilities for brainwashing. No doubt that they are professionals.

What do you think Virgil, will the operation be successfull? What fresh ideas could be proposed?

What about formation of some regiments with predominantly Muslim soldiers, better Arabs (preferably of Iraqi origin). There would be many abilities to show American spldiers in a positive light: Soldiers in a Mosque. Soldiers are helping to dig a well. American soldier marries Iraqi girl and so on.

9. Yes it could be, but from my experience the answer turns out to be nothing like what most people would guess; it comes down to how interesting is the product produced? Just like most adverts it should be convincing.

If it isn't interesting no one will read it, watch it or listen to it more than once. Don't look at it as brainwashing, look at it as advertising your message (product).

The best 'progaganda' are--with exceptions--good shows, songs, comic books etc., that happen to show the message along with the entertainment. It's not about brainwashing it is about having something people are interested in, putting your message along with that item and being as honest as possible with what you're trying to convince them of.

If you put a message such as 'don't burn trash it may have munitions in it' on pamphlets they might get looked at then thrown away.

On the other hand if you put the same message on soccer balls, hats or made into a colorful comic books for children then all of a sudden they become desirable and the messages get conveyed to more people. It's actually--sometimes--that simple.

I'm of the opinion that you don't hide the fact American money is behind it. People will find out anyway. If you're honest with them you've at least gained some trust even if they don't agree with you. If the program is interesting they'll enjoy it anyway.

I'm also from the school that believes dishonesty is poison when it comes to 'propaganda'. It destroys your credibility, once lost difficult to regain.

This has been going on for some time now. We built schools and wells for example in my area. Remember now during the Surge small units at the company and platoon level live in the same neighborhoods and villages for one year in order to get to know the locals. It's been extremely valuable in my opinion, perhaps one of the most important changes in tactics in Iraq.

I'm convinced--and friends who returned have commented--that it's changed Sunni views towards Americans to be more positive as they've gotten to know their local soldiers and vice-versa.

10. Now, that's one OXYMORON!.. :D

11. Quotation marks signify the irony.

12. What Virgil said or they could just play bay watch 24/7.
    That worked very well for 20 years pre conflict.

13. Whoever is in charge of propaganda took your suggestions quite literally selling their message along with the entertainment.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7YV-RelWjA

14. I wasn't clear enough--the product should be good.