U.S Sgt Sues over Movie

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by DarkNinja, Mar 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

The Padre - you know which one.

2. But the film is bollox!!! Is it just me, more total yank fabrication very very loosely based on the fact that there is a place called Iraq. Start to finish just total shite :x :x

3. That Sgt has got to be the real Rambo :D

4. Cant understand how the film won so many awards, it was a big steaming pile of sh1te!
    Typical yank propoganda movie. The heroic bomb disposal team that can do any job! Defuse any device, take out an enemy sniper team.....the US did Iraq on their own again.
    Pish!

5. Or a real Cnut!

The film is based on jobs on which I was never interviewed about in NI in 1979. I want half the money.

6. Thank you! I was beginning to think I was the only one. How the hell is this film cleaning up at the awards? Even without military experience I can see it employs stratospheric levels of bullshit - far too many examples to mention, though a contender for first place would be when the bomb disposal chappy, whose previous experience was in intelligence, steps forward to save the day on the 50cal and proves himself a crack sniper, where the SAS just run around shitting themselves.

7. What a fcuking chancer.

Aside from the fact that the claim smells as fishy as Baldrick's apple crumble (I've been hearing the phrase the hurt locker for longer than I can remember.) the film LOST money (perhaps because it's a pretty tedious wankfest about a war everyone wants to forget.)

8. It hasn't won didley as yet. It has been nominated. It is up against Avatar, amongst others.

On past performances factual inaccuracy is no disadvantage. Hollywood has brought us U573 (or whatever it was), Pearl Harbor, Braveheart, Titanic, Charge of the Light Brigade (in India), Objective Burma (no Brits in Burma in WW2), Gladiator, etc., American audiences are uncritical and gullible and spend their megabucks on this stuff. The rest of the world counts for nothing.

9. Don't get me started on the Barrett, hardly touching anything at 850m :x

10. Don't forget the dodgy dealings of one of the producers too....
    'The Hurt Locker' was also used on Ross Kemp in Afghanistan by an Australian Officer a couple of years ago.. the Sgt is a c0ck.

11. On past performances factual inaccuracy is no disadvantage. Hollywood has brought us U573 (or whatever it was), Pearl Harbor, Braveheart, Titanic, Charge of the Light Brigade (in India), Objective Burma (no Brits in Burma in WW2), Gladiator, etc., American audiences are uncritical and gullible and spend their megabucks on this stuff. The rest of the world counts for nothing.[/quote]

On that subject they made a series in the late 60's called the Rat Patrol. About a Yank unit - the LRDG!

Created uproar at the time and IIRC was cancelled

12. Must have been why it ended up here; our stations will buy any cheap shit.

13. Thank the sky pixie, I though it was shite too. Only last ten minutes before I ejected this piece of rubbish (or should I say garbage).

Luckly I had borrowed the DVD :lol:

14. Rat Patrol with Christopher George?

Lasted 2 years in the USA during Vietnam era, remember it as a child. Cancelled for low ratings . The Kraut is still on US TV under the name Eric Braeden on soap operas.

George served in the USMC from 1948 to 56, swing with the wing(MAW)