U.S. rolls out new GI bill for Iraq, Afghanistan veterans

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Aug 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. U.S. rolls out new GI bill for Iraq, Afghanistan veterans

By Chris Vaughn | Fort Worth Star-Telegram
    Donald Worthy Jr. served his nation in a time of war. In return, he can finish college free of charge.

This month, the U.S. government is rolling out its most generous educational benefits in generations, providing the opportunity for a free college education to any Iraq or Afghanistan veteran under what is known as the post-9/11 GI Bill.

The benefits are better in Texas than elsewhere. Because of a quirk in the formula, even high-dollar private institutions such as Texas Christian, Southern Methodist and Baylor universities will be fully covered.
    More
    http://www.mcclatchydc.com/homepage/story/72923.html

2. I do think it's a shame we don't have a version of the education side of the GI bill. Admittedly I don't know THAT much about it, but it does seem like a win/win situation for the Government/Armed Forces and the Serviceman/woman.

3. Your a fool then. I'm poor can't afford education. Join Army/ USMC purely to get education, not a good basis for a professional force. :roll:

4. I think its a great system

a lot of very successful people who have done the world of good for America

earned their education through the GI Bill

5. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

As opposed to our model.

Poor people can't get a good education despite millions being wasted on the state education system. Those who can join the Army fight for their country, are discarded once they leave and sneered at by t@ssers like you.

6. They should shit down all their military hospitals, give their lads a better service in civi hospitals.

7. So getting fukced up and dumped from the forces to live on a crappy war pension is then, FWIT

8. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Can someone send a draft over to Jobsworth and his cronies and get something decent in the pipline for our Vets?

9. You are a one!

10. Nothing foolish in that suggestion at all. I went to Uni when I got out and it cost £16K over three years. That was my choice but I wouldn't have been moaning if it was free.

11. I did write to my MP (Tory) some time ago about this, don't believe much is being done.

However, the GI bill is needed more in the US than here. They pay all their fees etc for a uni education, we still get a loan to pay ours (and it's at a good rate). You also need private medical insurance in the US no matter what, the GI bill provides that. As bad as most of you think the NHS is, at least they will give you the best level of treatment that they can with out removing your fillings to make up the payment.

The idea of a Brit GI type bill would be very different, and would need to offer different things. My MP wrote back to me and said it is something they are alooking into.

I'l be holding my breath for that one then!

12. So you don't want some kid from some shitty council estate who's local schools a fvcking dump getting a chance to make something of himself and get a good education?

13. Worked pretty well for the Septics. Looking at the earlier GI bills it can be argued it was civilian society that in the end benefited most from giving very useful ex-soldiers an educational leg up.

Peripheral benefits are a very common reason for enlisting, especially true in the Navy and The Guard. Course life down at the bottom of the food chain in the US is a different kind of grim. Once ran into old vet who said getting a nut blown off was small price for the sort of health care that the VA provides. That's the only bit of the US primary care system that regularly gets top marks from the OECD. Nearest thing they have to "socialized medicine".

14. Again, I admit to not being that knowledgeable, so correct any of my points if I'm miles off the mark.

i) Johnny Smith can't afford, or doesn't have the grades to go to University, commits to three/four years of service.

ii) Training and military 'ethos' (yes, I do believe in one) help him to straighten up and get a better outlook on life.

iii) On completion of his service, he either loves the military life, having had a look at it and decides to stay, or leaves.

iv) If he stays, the forces get a valuable recruit they wouldn't have had otherwise. Johnny can study for his degree and remain in (OU, etc.)

v) If he leaves, he gets the financial rewards towards his education.

The way I see it, nobody loses out. He either gets a career in the forces, or gets an education (both seem pretty positive to me). The military gets a recruit, even if it's only for a few years. The community gets someone who knows what the military has been like, and has a bit more discipline in their civilian life.

I know it's a rather simplistic view, but makes sense to me!

-Tango :)

15. I think you got that dead right, good post.