U.S. Needs Hit Squads, ‘Manhunting Agency’: Spec Ops Report

#1
U.S. Needs Hit Squads, ‘Manhunting Agency’: Spec Ops Report

* By Noah Shachtman Email Author
* November 3, 2009 |

CIA director Leon Panetta got into hot water with Congress, after he revealed an agency program to hunt down and kill terrorists. A recent report from the U.S. military’s Joint Special Operations University argues that the CIA didn’t go far enough (.pdf). Instead, it suggests the American government should set up something like a “National Manhunting Agency” to go after jihadists, drug dealers, pirates and other enemies of the state.

America’s military, intelligence and law-enforcement agencies already devote thousands of people and billions of dollars to tracking down top terrorists and insurgents. But even the most successful of these efforts — like going after Iraqi militant leader Abu Musab al-Zarqawi — have been “ad hoc” efforts, with units cobbled together from different corners of the government. Report author and retired Lt. Col. George Crawford instead would like to see a permanent group with clear authority, training, doctrine and technology to go after these dangerous individuals. These “manhunting teams would be standing formations, trained to pursue their designated quarry relentlessly for as long as required to accomplish the mission,” he writes.

Sometimes, that will mean operating “in uncooperative countries.” In those cases, the teams must be prepared “to act unilaterally, with no support or coordination with local authorities, in a manner similar to that employed by Israel’s Avner team in response to the Munich Olympics massacre.” (That was the controversial unit, fictionalized in Steven Spielberg’s movie, that allegedly roamed the world, assassinating Palestinian militants in response to the 1972 Olympic attack.)

The hit squads would only be one part of the manhunting agency, according to the Joint Special Operations University monograph, uncovered by Inside Defense. “Dedicated teams must be assembled, able to respond ‘on-call’ in the event of a raid on a suspect site or to conduct independent ‘break-in and search’ operations without leaving evidence of their intrusion,” Crawford notes.

Manhunting will also “require personnel who are experts at conducting surveillance of particular facilities, personnel, or activities without arousing suspicion or being detected,” he adds. “Picture in your mind a typical city street scene, with a little old lady walking her dog, the phone repair crew descending into a manhole, two little old men playing an innocent game of checkers, or the homeless person sleeping on the park bench, and you are on the right track.”

Such a group wouldn’t just go after terrorists. “Human networks are behind narcotics trafficking, arms proliferation, piracy, hiding war criminals from authorities, human trafficking, or other smuggling activities,” Crawford writes. “Human networks also lie at the core of national governments, offering an increased potential to nonlethally influence state actors with precision. A robust manhunting capability would allow the United States to interdict these human networks.”

Crawford, who says he served as the “lead strategist” for developing U.S. Special Operations Command’s “advanced intelligence, surveillance, and reconnaissance capabilities for counterterrorism operations,” compares manhunting to “curling, the Winter Olympics sport. As a skater releases the heavy stone onto the ice, a few strokes from a broom can alter the speed and trajectory of the stone. Likewise, a small amount of precise influence or force employed at an early point in a developing situation might divert the trajectory of an event away from crisis or full-scale conflict.”

http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/11/us-needs-hit-squads-manhunting-agency-spec-ops-report/
 
#2
Yes just what they need, yet another layer to their already over complicated intelligence and special forces aparatus. Yet another groupd that everyone in their own little fifedom will resent and try their best not to share any int with...
 
#3
But they have one already.
 
#4
It will never happen; way too many politicians, including Obama, will not sanction this. Not so much for moral reasons as a fear of getting burned when the whole thing goes the shape of the pear. :roll:

And since no plan survives contact with the enemy, the "Manhunting Agency" will fcuk up at some point. Even the Mossad Kidon units managed to slot an entirely innocent civilian during Operation Wrath of God.

There are also financial reasons. I know the American Military and Intelligence Agencies p1ss more money up the wall than their British counterparts have in their entire budget, but even you guys are hurting. Fcuk knows how much it would cost to set up an entirely new Agency from scratch. Recruitment, training, front line and support staff, equipment...the list goes on and on.

Bottom line, while the idea has merits, don't expect Nick Fury, Agent of Shield to be slotting terrorists anytime soon. :wink:
 
#5
Dear God. To summarise then, deploy enough Secret Ninjas (TM) and all enemies of democracy, freedom and apple pie will fall.
 
#6
One_of_the_strange said:
Dear God. To summarise then, deploy enough Secret Ninjas (TM) and all enemies of democracy, freedom and apple pie will fall.
You do realise you've just put your own name on the Hit List, don't you? 8O :twisted:
 
#7
Werewolf said:
One_of_the_strange said:
Dear God. To summarise then, deploy enough Secret Ninjas (TM) and all enemies of democracy, freedom and apple pie will fall.
You do realise you've just put your own name on the Hit List, don't you? 8O :twisted:
Mr Kippling is on his way now, with a silenced H&K USP....
 
#8
DGSx said:
Werewolf said:
One_of_the_strange said:
Dear God. To summarise then, deploy enough Secret Ninjas (TM) and all enemies of democracy, freedom and apple pie will fall.
You do realise you've just put your own name on the Hit List, don't you? 8O :twisted:
Mr Kippling is on his way now, with a silenced H&K USP....
Mr Kippling does carry out exceedlingly good Black Ops... 8)
 
#9
Werewolf said:
DGSx said:
Werewolf said:
One_of_the_strange said:
Dear God. To summarise then, deploy enough Secret Ninjas (TM) and all enemies of democracy, freedom and apple pie will fall.
You do realise you've just put your own name on the Hit List, don't you? 8O :twisted:
Mr Kippling is on his way now, with a silenced H&K USP....
Mr Kippling does carry out exceedlingly good Black Ops... 8)
Much as I love our cousins they are hardly renowned for blending in with the locals when abroad, even less so when they try to. So I reckon they won't be too hard to spot. Besides, I reckon the uparmoured Hummer with civvy plates will be a bit of a giveaway as well.
 
#10
One_of_the_strange said:
Much as I love our cousins they are hardly renowned for blending in with the locals when abroad, even less so when they try to. So I reckon they won't be too hard to spot. Besides, I reckon the uparmoured Hummer with civvy plates will be a bit of a giveaway as well.
That and the 4 white blokes, with crew cuts, fishing vests, Oakleys dripping in M4's...
 
#11
DGSx said:
One_of_the_strange said:
Much as I love our cousins they are hardly renowned for blending in with the locals when abroad, even less so when they try to. So I reckon they won't be too hard to spot. Besides, I reckon the uparmoured Hummer with civvy plates will be a bit of a giveaway as well.
That and the 4 white blokes, with crew cuts, fishing vests, Oakleys dripping in M4's...
"We need a Montage!" :D
 
#16
DGSx said:
The American who drives this motor should be in on it 100%

Ah yes the epitome of our special operations community whose official motto is "The Quiet Professionals". For some reason, call me a cynic, I doubt this vehicle is driven by one of "them" but rather by a "wannabethem."
 
#17
I note at one point he was a 'ballistic missile launch officer'. Presumably therefore he was USAF??? The ones I've met who started their life in a silo in Nebraska were always a little intense, but usually harmless - and quite boring in fact (tends to be a job that puts an emphasis on recruiting very stable people).

This one seems to be an exception - what a load of poo.

C_C
 
#19
spiffy said:
Why don't the yanks just ask mossad to do any of their dirty work.
And what makes you think we haven't?

Of course there are those who ardently believe the CIA and Mossad were behind the 9/11 attacks.
 
#20
jumpinjarhead said:
spiffy said:
Why don't the yanks just ask mossad to do any of their dirty work.
And what makes you think we haven't?

Of course there are those who ardently believe the CIA and Mossad were behind the 9/11 attacks.
Don't be ridiculous! The 9/11 attacks were carried out by the Freemasons/Knights Templar/Illuminati/Lizard People/ZOG... :wink:
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top