Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

U.S. Navy Rescues 10 From Iranian Ship on Fire

Err. We are talking about Iran not Rwanda.

I'm guessing you've never been there nor ever actually met an Iranian?

Ah, you're right.

I've obviously confused Iran with somewhere they stone women to death for adultery and publicly hang gay people.

Ah, you're right.

I've obviously confused Iran with somewhere they stone women to death for adultery and publicly hang gay people.

So you have actually been to Iran then? Or are you basing all your knowledge on teh Daily Wail and US news channels?

So you have actually been to Iran then? Or are you basing all your knowledge on teh Daily Wail and US news channels?

Oh, so Iran DOES NOT do that sort of thing? I'll get right on to Thomas Cook for a couple of weeks in the Teheran Hilton, I bet it's great on the lash

If you see a ship on fire, or receive a Mayday, it is your duty to go and help, regardless. So you do just that.

Unless of course you are a German U-boat captain.

You can go and have a look, doesn't mean to say you have to rescue the buggers.

You can go and have a look, doesn't mean to say you have to rescue the buggers.

1982 UNCLOS

11 RULES ON ASSISTANCE
Duty to render assistance
Under article 98 of UNCLOS, every State must require the master of a ship flying its flag,
in so far as he can do so without danger to the ship, the crew, or the passengers, to:
- render assistance to any person found at sea in danger of being lost (paragraph 1(a));
- proceed to the rescue of persons in distress, when necessary (paragraph 1(b)); and
- after a collision, render assistance to the other ship, its crew and its passengers
(paragraph 1(c)).

The obligations to render assistance and to proceed to the rescue of persons in distress is
contained in two IMO treaty instruments. SOLAS stipulates the general obligation of the master of
a ship to proceed, where necessary, with all speed to the assistance of a ship, aircraft, or survival
craft in distress (regulation V/10, renumbered as V/33 in the amendments adopted in 2000).

Yes you do or you will be in contravention of International Law and most likely your own Flag Nations laws.