• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

U.S. Navy frigate captures pirate mother ship

NAIROBI, Kenya - U.S. naval forces said Thursday they've captured five pirates after exchanging fire with them, sinking their skiff and confiscating a mother ship.

The USS Nicholas was just west of the Seychelles in international waters Thursday when crew began taking fire from a suspected pirate skiff, NBC News reported. The Nicholas returned fire and disabled the pirate boat, then pursued the skiff until it finally broke down.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36131357/ns/world_news-africa/?gt1=43001

I guess those big gun turrets and torp launchers don't really mean much to a couple guys in a speed boat with an RPG?

Are they nuts or just stupid?

brownhat said:
Wish RN would follow this example.
Actually, the USN followed the RN example:

Royal Navy in firefight with Somali pirates
The Times 12 Nov 2008 said:
Pirates caught redhanded by one of Her Majesty’s warships [HMS Cumberland] after trying to hijack a cargo ship off Somalia made the grave mistake of opening fire on two Royal Navy assault craft packed with commandos armed with machineguns and SA80 rifles.

In the ensuing gunfight, two Somali pirates in a Yemeni-registered fishing dhow were killed, and a third pirate, believed to be a Yemeni, suffered injuries and subsequently died. It was the first time the Royal Navy had been engaged in a fatal shoot-out on the high seas in living memory.

By the time the Royal Marines boarded the pirates’ vessel, the enemy had lost the will to fight and surrendered quietly. The Royal Navy described the boarding as “compliant”...

www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=3262418.html#3262418
smartarse 1 Apr 2010 said:
Maybe they thought they were attacking an RN I-Pod carrier?
So original. Don't say I haven't given fair warning...

www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=3038383.html#3038383
Dunservin said:
bernoulli 30 Nov 2009 said:
Well, I certainly hope they've got a steelier resolve than the RIR bods who surrendered to a bunch of Sierra Leonian child soldiers had! :D
Yep. Whenever anyone makes the obligatory crack about iPods in every RN-related thread, I daresay someone else is bound to mention the West Side Boys. :lol: Note from the article that HMS Argyll's helos helped search for the captives.
www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=3034795.html#3034795
Dunservin said:
ark-angel 29 Nov 2009 said:
Did they find that the pirates had also nicked their ipod's when they left as well?
Yep. Whenever anyone makes the obligatory crack about iPods in every RN-related thread, I daresay someone else is bound to mention the West Side Boys. :lol: Note from the article that HMS Argyll's helos helped search for the captives.

www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=3025745.html#3025745

Dunservin said:
vvaannmmaann 24 Nov 2009 said:
STOP PRESS
Matelot's mustering outside Daily Wail HQ to hand over ipods to Mr Hastings.
www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=3017410.html#3017410
Dunservin said:
vvaannmmaann 20 Nov 2009 said:
Quickly lads, hand over your ipods.
www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=3196613.html#3196613
Dunservin said:
vvaannmmaann 25 Feb 2010 said:
News Flash.
Crew of HMS York prepare to hand over all ipods to Argentines.
www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=3250229.html#3250229
Dunservin said:
vvaannmmaann 26 Mar 2010 said:
Do they have ipods in Saudi?
www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=3250229.html#3250229
Dunservin said:
ex_colonial 26 Mar 2010 said:
Sorry Effendi, I dont want an iPod, just a badly fitting suit would be ok!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/p=3251123.html#3251123
Dunservin said:
CC_TA 27 Mar 2010 said:
Navy win? They won't put any effort in; It's a trophy not a fukcing Ipod :D
I don't need to look for them. I just collect 'em as we go along. :lol:

R

rordog95

Le_addeur_noir said:
brownhat said:
The pathetic Labour government and the MoD has probably ordered the RN not to act robustly and hit these pirates where it hurts.
Haha,

"think of the pirates...Human rights will give us agro if we kill or capture them"

rordog95 said:
Le_addeur_noir said:
brownhat said:
The pathetic Labour government and the MoD has probably ordered the RN not to act robustly and hit these pirates where it hurts.
Haha,

"think of the pirates...Human rights will give us agro if we kill or capture them"
Joking apart, what exactly would be the human rights problem about dealing with the situation in the same way as did the USS Nicholas?

R

rordog95

hackle said:
rordog95 said:
Le_addeur_noir said:
brownhat said:
Haha,

Joking apart, what exactly would be the human rights problem about dealing with the situation in the same way as did the USS Nicholas?
Our nancy government says stupid shit to stop us getting involved and other bollocks, shame it didn't stop us getting involved with Americas war on terror :(

hackle said:
Big, otherwise empty ocean, boat with a handful of pirates aboard, warship with a crew (all of whom have signed up to the Official Secrets Act) - what human rights?

Damn! MATT6! There's the problem. Anyone got a few spare "Page intentionally blank" as a stop-gap solution?

Dunservin said:

Dunservin said:
Well, I certainly hope they've got a steelier resolve than the RIR bods who surrendered to a bunch of Sierra Leonian child soldiers had! :D
Aye, 11 squaddies deep in rebel held territory and isolated from any reliable support, captured by a large group of African nutters are entirely comparable to matelots sticking their mitts in the air and crying over the confiscation of personal electonic equipment :wink:

big_mad_ejit said:
Even the Seychelles Coast Guard has also been kicking some pirate arse lately

http://www.eturbonews.com/15190/seychelles-coast-guard-intercepts-pirates-and-rescues-crew

thus outperforming the Royal Navy

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...li-pirates-kidnap-british-couple-1820543.html

I mean the Seychelles Coast Guard?!?! for f*cks sake lads...
Do you seriously believe that hostage rescue is simply a matter of possessing superior firepower? By the time the Royal Fleet Auxiliary tanker arrived on the scene (N.B. not an RN warship with a team of SF embarked), the Chandlers had already been kidnapped and were tantamount to human shields in a small fast wave-skimming boat. Blatting them with 30mm might have caused the odd negative headline. :roll:

wedge35 said:
Aye, 11 squaddies deep in rebel held territory and isolated from any reliable support, captured by a large group of African nutters are entirely comparable to matelots sticking their mitts in the air and crying over the confiscation of personal electonic equipment :wink:
So everything went according to plan then? 8O :)

msr said:
Dunservin said:
I don't need to look for them. I just collect 'em as we go along. :lol:
Unlike the RN and pirates then :)
I refer the honorable gentleman to my previous answer (among other examples) but knowing your enthusiastic penchant for disparaging every reported RN success, I doubt it will do much good. :(

Kenya imprisons seven Somalis for piracy
Washington Post said:
By Celestine Achieng
Reuters
Wednesday, March 10, 2010; 2:38 PM

MOMBASA, Kenya (Reuters) - A Kenyan court sentenced seven Somalis to 20 years in prison for piracy on Wednesday after they tried to attack a Danish cargo vessel. British Royal Navy forces [HMS Cumberland] arrested the men in 2008 after they attempted to seize MV Powerful off the Gulf of Aden, one of the world's busiest shipping routes. Two pirates died in an ensuing fight. They were then handed over to Kenyan authorities and charged with piracy...

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
wedge35 said:
Dunservin said:

Dunservin said:
After getting lost . . . . .

So wedge, lost and deep inside enemy territory surrounded by enemies.... as opposed to sitting in a RIB out in the NAG (in the correct waters by the way), with Sa80's for protection surrounded by around 4 bigger boats armed with HMG... yeah, completely different.

And as for the whole shoot the pirates/don't shoot the pirates, Maritime law is very very complicated - for example, if you are within the 12 mile territorial waters limit, it is NOT Piracy, as piracy by definition can only be committed on the 'High Seas' ie outside that 12nm limit - anything inside is classed as "armed robbery" and has to be dealt with by the States government... and if you are sitting off the coast of Somalia that isn't going to happen!

Basically, Maritime law is ridiculous, but if some Pirates were stupid enough to attack an RN warship with gunfire, outside the 12nm limit then the RN would be well within their rights to blow them away - however, it needs to be a certain situation - and the Yanks were lucky this time.

Latest Threads