U.S. missile shield may not be built in Poland

#1
http://en.rian.ru/world/20080105/95489081.html

Poland's foreign minister has said he can see no threat coming from Iran and does not rule out that a U.S. missile-defense base in his country may not be built after all.

In an interview with Gazeta Wyborcza, Radoslaw Sikorski said that the worst-case scenario for Warsaw would be if it agreed to the deployment of a U.S. base on its soil, paying a political price, but then a new administration would come to power in the United States, and the base would not be built.

A Russian delegation, led by Deputy Foreign Minister Sergei Kislyak, will visit Warsaw on January 10, 2008 to discuss the U.S. missile shield plans.

"Needless to say, we will listen carefully to [Russia's] arguments. That is what diplomacy is all about," he said, adding that the U.S. was also intensively discussing the missile defense system with Russia.

"The U.S. side has assured Warsaw that it will dispel Russia's concerns. But that has yet to be done," he said.
 

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
#2
It always struck me the Americans were sabre rattling with this 'missile shield',anyway.The previous Polish government was all for it,but they were keen on strirring up trouble with the Russians on the flimsiest pretext.

This scheme is running into resistance in the Czech Republic as well,where the radar station is proposed to be located.

Likely to be binned by an incoming Democrat government in the US next year looking for military cutbacks,should the Democrats gain power.
 
#3
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7180547.stm

Poland's Prime Minister Donald Tusk is to hold talks with Czech leaders in Prague shortly on a controversial US missile defence project.
On Wednesday, Mr Tusk said Poland would only agree to provide a base for US interceptor missiles if this increased the security of Poles.

Poland's new government is much more cautious than its predecessor on the issue, a BBC correspondent says.
 
#4
Congress appropriates the cash. It'll continue because there are too many jobs tied up in it like every other big-ticket item.

As for the Poles and the Czechs... everybody has their price.
 
#5
crabtastic said:
Congress appropriates the cash. It'll continue because there are too many jobs tied up in it like every other big-ticket item.

As for the Poles and the Czechs... everybody has their price.
I guess you over-estimate the size of the 'ticket'. For Poland political benefits from the deployment of the missiles are doubtful and financial result is rather insignificant. Compare is with Russian abilities. Recently a ban for Polish meat has been effectively lifted. Likely previous level of Polish export (200 mln euro) would be restored.

Russia is now a growing and very attractive market for Polish goods and Polish PM mr.Tusk understands it pretty well.

"It's economy, stupid" as one fan of oral sex had said.
 
#6
The fact that poland and the Czechs are giving it up is good news, but watch the Americans, they'll want to build it in Kosovo.
 
#7
mr.fawlty said:
The fact that poland and the Czechs are giving it up is good news, but watch the Americans, they'll want to build it in Kosovo.
Where? In Kosovo? :eek: :eek: :eek:

With or without permission from Serbia?
 
#8
KGB_resident said:
crabtastic said:
Congress appropriates the cash. It'll continue because there are too many jobs tied up in it like every other big-ticket item.

As for the Poles and the Czechs... everybody has their price.
I guess you over-estimate the size of the 'ticket'. For Poland political benefits from the deployment of the missiles are doubtful and financial result is rather insignificant. Compare is with Russian abilities. Recently a ban for Polish meat has been effectively lifted. Likely previous level of Polish export (200 mln euro) would be restored.

Russia is now a growing and very attractive market for Polish goods and Polish PM mr.Tusk understands it pretty well.

"It's economy, stupid" as one fan of oral sex had said.
200m Euro? That's about 10 F-16s. The Septics lose more money than that running for the bus in the morning.
 
#9
KGB_resident said:
mr.fawlty said:
The fact that poland and the Czechs are giving it up is good news, but watch the Americans, they'll want to build it in Kosovo.
Where? In Kosovo? :eek: :eek: :eek:

With or without permission from Serbia?
I believe that's why they're pushing for the independence of Kosovo.
 
#10
If this is not built in the Czech Republic or Poland,which European US ally will offer it's terretory for use by Uncle Sam for free.........

Step forward the country who's corrupt and slavishly pro US ex PM has just been appointed as an advisor to a US merchant bank..........

The 51st state!!!
 
#12
crabtastic said:
KGB_resident said:
crabtastic said:
Congress appropriates the cash. It'll continue because there are too many jobs tied up in it like every other big-ticket item.

As for the Poles and the Czechs... everybody has their price.
I guess you over-estimate the size of the 'ticket'. For Poland political benefits from the deployment of the missiles are doubtful and financial result is rather insignificant. Compare is with Russian abilities. Recently a ban for Polish meat has been effectively lifted. Likely previous level of Polish export (200 mln euro) would be restored.

Russia is now a growing and very attractive market for Polish goods and Polish PM mr.Tusk understands it pretty well.

"It's economy, stupid" as one fan of oral sex had said.
200m Euro? That's about 10 F-16s. The Septics lose more money than that running for the bus in the morning.
Btw the Americans were very upset then Russia introduce poulty ban.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12517193/

April 27, 2006

Russia, the biggest foreign buyer of American chicken, halted poultry imports Thursday, catching U.S. officials by surprise.

“All of this was done without any prior notice or consultation,” Agriculture Department spokesman Ed Loyd said.
...
Russia accounts for about 30 percent of U.S. poultry sold abroad.
...
Loyd said Agriculture Secretary Mike Johanns and U.S. Trade Representative Rob Portman are urging their Russian counterparts to lift the ban. Officials are working with exporters that have poultry shipments en route or in Russian ports, Loyd said.
http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-90574235.html

Russian poultry ban still causing pain: creates glut and lower prices in USA: with too much chicken hitting the domestic market, beef and pork prices are also coming down in the United States. Exports to Russia, meanwhile, are threatened by additional tariffs, a renewed ban and increasing Russian domestic production.
...
It lasted barely five weeks, but it may take a year for the US meat industry to recover from a Russian ban on poultry imports--because that ban has created a glut on the US market and driven down prices of all meat, not just chicken.
Now compare relatively small and relatively poor Poland with huge and wealthy USA. If the ban causes some problems in USA the the ban on Polish meat moreover was very painful.
 
#13
I seem to recall the Russians being somewhat grateful a few years ago for the 'nogi busha'

msr
 
#14
mr.fawlty said:
KGB_resident said:
mr.fawlty said:
The fact that poland and the Czechs are giving it up is good news, but watch the Americans, they'll want to build it in Kosovo.
Where? In Kosovo? :eek: :eek: :eek:

With or without permission from Serbia?
I believe that's why they're pushing for the independence of Kosovo.
It would not be internationally recognised independence. Serbia would claim Kosovo as its part and technically would have the right to re-establish its control over the territory at any moment. So our American friends would have to have big enough land forces in Kosovo.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#15
Poland buys its gas from, where? Or is Russia not using financial blackmail in Western Europe anymore?

The poultry thing was just another case of that. Russia is using it's economic power to bully the countries that used to be in its sphere of influence. These days, they don't use tanks anymore, but the effect is similar. This being that countries like Poland roll over at the first hint of a threat.

This is nothing to do with Poland 'seeing sense', but a lot to do with Russian threats of economic sanctions.

I would imagine that the Poles will be calling in some big favours from the septics in return if this thing ever gets through.
 
#16
KGB Resident,

That's the Republicans sucking up to their farm lobby.

When Reagan got in in 1981,I seem to recall whilst banning everyone else from exporting so-called advanced US technology to the then Soviet Union and it's allies they re-instated wheat exports to "the evil empire" as pay-off for support and funding from Mid-West farmers to the Republican party.
 
#17
msr said:
I seem to recall the Russians being somewhat grateful a few years ago for the 'nogi busha'

msr
Exacly. So called 'Bush's legs' were very popular in Russia, especially among pensioners in 90's. But living standards in Russia are growing and domestic poultry production now is biger than previously. Personally I prefer chikens breasts (made in Kaluga region) - something like 2 pounds for kiligramm in supermarket.
 
#18
Biped said:
Poland buys its gas from, where? Or is Russia not using financial blackmail in Western Europe anymore?

The poultry thing was just another case of that. Russia is using it's economic power to bully the countries that used to be in its sphere of influence. These days, they don't use tanks anymore, but the effect is similar. This being that countries like Poland roll over at the first hint of a threat.

This is nothing to do with Poland 'seeing sense', but a lot to do with Russian threats of economic sanctions.

I would imagine that the Poles will be calling in some big favours from the septics in return if this thing ever gets through.
Biped, you are absolutely right. It was noted long before that Russia prefers to use banks instead of tanks. It is more effective. And it is not something special. Let's recall economic blocade of Cuba, American sanctions against Iran, N.Korea and other 'bad' countries.

If the Americans position themselves as teachers of democracy then the Russians are attentive students.
 

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
#19
KGB_resident said:
Biped said:
Poland buys its gas from, where? Or is Russia not using financial blackmail in Western Europe anymore?

The poultry thing was just another case of that. Russia is using it's economic power to bully the countries that used to be in its sphere of influence. These days, they don't use tanks anymore, but the effect is similar. This being that countries like Poland roll over at the first hint of a threat.

This is nothing to do with Poland 'seeing sense', but a lot to do with Russian threats of economic sanctions.

I would imagine that the Poles will be calling in some big favours from the septics in return if this thing ever gets through.
Biped, you are absolutely right. It was noted long before that Russia prefers to use banks instead of tanks. It is more effective. And it is not something special. Let's recall economic blocade of Cuba, American sanctions against Iran, N.Korea and other 'bad' countries.

If the Americans position themselves as teachers of democracy then the Russians are attentive students.
Coooorr, well spotted KGB - nice context and come-back.
 

Le_addeur_noir

On ROPS
On ROPs
#20
In talks between Polish foreign minister Radek Sikorski and US Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice in Washington DC today,agreement has been reached to install this system in Poland.

Final agreement will be decided by the Polish parliament.

The Polish side are looking for help with their air defence forces(read possibly more F-16 fighter jets being acquired by Poland at bargain basement prices to replace their MiG-29 fighters from around 2012).
 

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top