U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters

#1
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/18/AR2010061805630.html

U.S. military criticized for purchase of Russian copters for Afghan air corps
...
the Pentagon has spent $648 million to buy or refurbish 31 Russian Mi-17 transport helicopters for the Afghan National Army Air Corps. The Defense Department is seeking to buy 10 more of the Mi-17s next year, and had planned to buy dozens more over the next decade.
...
"The Mi-17 program either has uncoordinated oversight or simply none at all," said Sen. Richard C. Shelby (R-Ala.), who along with Sen. Christopher J. Dodd (D-Conn.) has pushed the Pentagon to reconsider its purchase plans. "The results have led to massive waste, cost overruns, schedule delays, safety concerns and major delivery problems."

U.S. and Afghan military officials who favor the Mi-17, which was designed for use in Afghanistan, acknowledge that it might seem odd for the Pentagon to invest in Russian military products. But they said that changing helicopter models would throw a wrench into the effort to train Afghan pilots, none of whom can fly U.S.-built choppers.

"If people come and fly in Afghanistan with the Mi-17, they will understand why that aircraft is so important to the future for Afghanistan," said Brig. Gen. Michael R. Boera, the U.S. Air Force general in charge of rebuilding the Afghan air corps. "We've got to get beyond the fact that it's Russian. . . . It works well in Afghanistan."
So maybe the copters would be usefull for the RAF? Moreover that

The U.S. government has bought Russian choppers for other allies as well... In addition, the U.S. Special Operations Command would like to buy a few Mi-17s of its own
 
#3
The Hip(MI 17) is not a bad aircraft,and dare I say it,I suspect there are lots of spare parts lying around Afghanistan!!!!!!!!! :rofl:
 
#4
The RAF/MOd donated the two MI-17s that they haad for Project Curium to the Afghan Army Air Corps in March, when they were flown out of Boscombe in an An 124

The US Army has a whole Aviation Company of them in in the US
 

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
#6
The Senator is just on a typical isolationist Buy American whinge. But he may have a point about procurement issues.
 
#7
The Yanks are now useing so many non American aircraft to make that Senator throw a fit, Eurocopter, PZL,De Haviland CASSA,Pilatus and many others , are all being used by US forces
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#8
Nobody to fly them anyway

Afghan pilots go missing from US air force base

Seventeen Afghan pilots training at a US military base have gone missing over the past two years, prompting fears of a potential terror threat.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...missing-U-S-air-force-base.html#ixzz0rIBfeKC3


The officers went AWOL from an English language course.

Security officials said several had been arrested and deported but others remain at large.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...missing-U-S-air-force-base.html#ixzz0rIBRKjxU
 
#9
Flight International quotes the Thai army’s rationale: “We are buying three Mi-17 helicopters for the price of one Black Hawk. The Mi-17 can also carry more than 30 troops, while the Black Hawk could carry only 13 soldiers. These were the key factors behind the decision."
 
#11
Never mind giving Mil-17s to the Afghans, why in feck's name don't we get some Mil-24 Hinds into the Army Air Corps? There must be a few of them kicking around up Russia way that aren't being used to smash the Chechens.
If it wasn't for us giving Blowpipe, Redeye, Javelin and Stinger missiles to the Mujahideen in the Eighties, the Russians would have smashed them using the Hinds and we wouldn't be in this sodding mess just now.

Tam
 
#12
probably training issues came into the decision - I read somewhere Afghan pilots are familiar with Russian helicopters - so quite pragmatic really
 
#13
I was wondering when this issue was going to come up.

This program has over acheaved in regards to sales and is cutting into both US and European helicopter sales.

It was only a matter of time before someone complained about it.
 
#14
The way i see it, it would be easiest for us to buy from the biggest manufacturer, as they produce in bulk which is cheaper, and the production tests money wont even come into it. Whether it be America or Russia, both are conflict proven nations, if we want to save money, then having our own procurement system is only going to waste it, not save it.

Excognito said:
Flight International quotes the Thai army’s rationale: “We are buying three Mi-17 helicopters for the price of one Black Hawk. The Mi-17 can also carry more than 30 troops, while the Black Hawk could carry only 13 soldiers. These were the key factors behind the decision."
But thailand isnt smashing anyones granny in, except for the redshirts and a few muslim rebels from the malaysian border that have been there since forever.
 
#15
Boris3098 said:
Can't argue with that logic. How much is a Sukhoi 37 compared to a Typhoon?
By the time a Su-37 had been "Britishised" probably a lot more than a Typhoon - plus I know which one I'd rather be sat in

Seems sensible for Afghan's to fly Mi-17s though

Odo
 
#16
TamH70 said:
Never mind giving Mil-17s to the Afghans, why in feck's name don't we get some Mil-24 Hinds into the Army Air Corps? There must be a few of them kicking around up Russia way that aren't being used to smash the Chechens.
If it wasn't for us giving Blowpipe, Redeye, Javelin and Stinger missiles to the Mujahideen in the Eighties, the Russians would have smashed them using the Hinds and we wouldn't be in this sodding mess just now.

Tam
A Hind is more gunship then transport; it can carry 8 people. A Mi17 can carry about 30. They have different roles.
 
#18
the_boy_syrup said:
Nobody to fly them anyway

Afghan pilots go missing from US air force base

Seventeen Afghan pilots training at a US military base have gone missing over the past two years, prompting fears of a potential terror threat.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...missing-U-S-air-force-base.html#ixzz0rIBfeKC3


The officers went AWOL from an English language course.

Security officials said several had been arrested and deported but others remain at large.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/wor...missing-U-S-air-force-base.html#ixzz0rIBRKjxU

Makes you wonder how long it will be before thr Taliban start using "their" gunships to strafe "our" troops! :twisted:
 

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
#19
cupoftea said:
The Hip is not just Ivan proof, its feckin Abdul/Bongo Bongo proof. Simples.
It also comes blinged up for even the chaviest pilot

 
#20
That's a Hind but I follow your point... there would be nothing to stop the discerning member of the Afghan master-race from blinging up his cab after the local fashion :

 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top