U.S. Casualties in Iraq Rise Sharply

#1
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/10/07/AR2006100700907.html

Last month, 776 U.S. troops were wounded in action in Iraq
...
The sharp increase in American wounded -- with nearly 300 more in the first week of October -- is a grim measure
...
More than 20,000 U.S. troops have been wounded in combat in the Iraq war
...
While much media reporting has focused on the more than 2,700 killed, military experts say the number of wounded is a more accurate gauge of the fierceness of fighting because advances in armor and medical care today allow many service members to survive who would have perished in past wars. The ratio of wounded to killed among U.S. forces in Iraq is about 8 to 1, compared with 3 to 1 in Vietnam.
...
The rising toll of wounded reflects ongoing heavy combat in Anbar as well as in Baghdad...
 
#2
Brick said:
Gods, what's got you so pissed of with Americans? One of them nick your bird or something? :roll:
Brick, of course you are not thick to understand that Washington Post is one of the leading American newspapers. USA is the leader of the West. So the leading article in Washington Post is worth to be discussed.

For example, 300 wounded in Iraq at one week would be equal to 1000-1100 of wounded per week in Vietnam (taking into account numbers of troops). So if we apply a typical ratio of killed to wounded in Vietnam 1:3 it would mean 350 killed in one week in Vietnamese conditions.

I believe that it is our duty to help our American friends to resolve Iraqi problem because apparently military approach failed.
 
#4
KGB_resident said:
Brick, of course you are not thick to understand that Washington Post is one of the leading American newspapers. USA is the leader of the West. So the leading article in Washington Post is worth to be discussed.
Sorry Sergei, slight miscommunication there. I was making the pissed off comment about DigitalArsehole there since along with his charming "more where they came from!" remark he's also been posting snide anti-US comments in other threads as well. Witness his blindingly insightful contribution to the Navy to Christen Aircraft Carrier thread where he said,

DigitalGeek said:
As for the Spams they can blow bubbles up their own arrse as much as they want, they are all cnuts!
Quite frankly I think everyone can see he's got a bit of an insecurity problem going so I was just ignoring him, but his comment regarding the casualty numbers was just a Mlaaar too far for me.
 
#5
Thread edited.

Repeat performances = 02 thief followed by banning if it persists. No one minds banter and teasing of Americans, even they , when they understand there is no malice meant and it's just humour.

The deleted remarks were not humour, and attacks like that are in breach of the rules of the forum.
 
#6
IED deaths are the main killer of US troops. We are deploying an aerial capability that can detect IED's at 300 m.

IED Deaths

Jul-06 22
Aug-06 27
Sep-06 29
Oct-06 6
 
#7
tomahawk6 said:
IED deaths are the main killer of US troops. We are deploying an aerial capability that can detect IED's at 300 m.

IED Deaths

Jul-06 22
Aug-06 27
Sep-06 29
Oct-06 6
Deaths seem to be rising there Tom?
 
#8
tomahawk6 said:
IED deaths were down though in Sept from 29 to 6.
Are you sure???

Aha! Now you've editted to the more likely information. Sadly, in my part of the world, Octover still has a good bit to run - so the number 6 is likely to climb.....

tomahawk6 said:
IED deaths are the main killer of US troops. We are deploying an aerial capability that can detect IED's at 300 m.

IED Deaths

Jul-06 22
Aug-06 27
Sep-06 29
Oct-06 6
I'm sure this statistic will provide immense comfort to all those servicemen injured by other means, and to the families of these men/women (from the Washington Post article):

A survey of reports on combat deaths from August through early October, however, shows an increase in those killed in Baghdad from small-arms fire as well as bombs along roads.
 
#9
merkator said:
tomahawk6 said:
IED deaths were down though in Sept from 29 to 6.
Are you sure???

Aha! Now you've editted to the more likely information. Sadly, in my part of the world, Octover still has a good bit to run - so the number 6 is likely to climb.....

tomahawk6 said:
IED deaths are the main killer of US troops. We are deploying an aerial capability that can detect IED's at 300 m.

IED Deaths

Jul-06 22
Aug-06 27
Sep-06 29
Oct-06 6
I'm sure this statistic will provide immense comfort to all those servicemen injured by other means, and to the families of these men/women (from the Washington Post article):

A survey of reports on combat deaths from August through early October, however, shows an increase in those killed in Baghdad from small-arms fire as well as bombs along roads.
No it isnt. The comfort they get is knowing that their loved one's died doing a job they believed in.
 
#10
tomahawk6 said:
merkator said:
tomahawk6 said:
IED deaths were down though in Sept from 29 to 6.
Are you sure???

Aha! Now you've editted to the more likely information. Sadly, in my part of the world, Octover still has a good bit to run - so the number 6 is likely to climb.....

tomahawk6 said:
IED deaths are the main killer of US troops. We are deploying an aerial capability that can detect IED's at 300 m.

IED Deaths

Jul-06 22
Aug-06 27
Sep-06 29
Oct-06 6
I'm sure this statistic will provide immense comfort to all those servicemen injured by other means, and to the families of these men/women (from the Washington Post article):

A survey of reports on combat deaths from August through early October, however, shows an increase in those killed in Baghdad from small-arms fire as well as bombs along roads.
No it isnt. The comfort they get is knowing that their loved one's died doing a job they believed in.
Wow!!!!!!!!
 
#11
Sergey,

which branch of the FSB are you employed by?. My first Drill Instructor was more subtle than you!.

Regardless, get a life, no one is saying that our troops, or the Spams (or our politicians for that matter) are perfect.

I sincerely hope you are not saying yours are.

You constantly try to grab the moral high ground using western media reports as your sole source of information (Check your posts). Whats wrong with using your own media?. Ah, of course, talk out of line in Russia and you get a lead aspirin.
 
#12
No one has ever doubted that GI Joe has the ba lls nessacary to do the biz.
He gets carried away with his Gung Ho Attitude but he'll be there ta the end, Cry
"For King George and Alliburton."
john
Makes me F-ing weep.
 
#13
tomahawk6 said:
The comfort they get is knowing that their loved one's died doing a job they believed in.
Previously I thought that I have a very good imagination. It appears that I was wrong.

ACAB said:
Sergey,

which branch of the FSB are you employed by?. My first Drill Instructor was more subtle than you!.
I'm not a FSB serviceman. It is possible that your Drill Instructor was an excellent man, a professional and very sublte person.

ACAB said:
Regardless, get a life, no one is saying that our troops, or the Spams (or our politicians for that matter) are perfect.

I sincerely hope you are not saying yours are.
You are absolutely correct.

ACAB said:
You constantly try to grab the moral high ground using western media reports as your sole source of information (Check your posts). Whats wrong with using your own media?. Ah, of course, talk out of line in Russia and you get a lead aspirin.
There are many causes. Russian events are not interesting to our friends here. Russian newspapers can't be regarded as a reliable source of information (at least in some cases). And if something has occured in USA then it would be logical to use namely American sources.

Regards!
 

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
#14
KGB_resident said:
tomahawk6 said:
The comfort they get is knowing that their loved one's died doing a job they believed in.
Previously I thought that I have a very good imagination. It appears that I was wrong.
No Gospodin- what you have is Old World cynicism and a lack of exposure to the genuine ( and to us rather touching and possibly naive) patriotism of small town Main Street America.

Same reason Bush's second victory came as a surprise to Left/Right coast chatterati - they never met any rural Americans.

Take a look around where you live - if it's anything like my home the only national flags you'll see are on public buildings ( apart from the odd eccentric like, well, me).

As no doubt you'll have been told it is absolutely commonplace for Americans to fly their national flag in the front garden - not hanging from a window frame but run up the genuine flagpole.

Brits find all this childhood flag pledging and gung-ho conditioning a bit chilling ......it's smacks to us of the Hitler Youth a little....but it works ......the Armed Forces are held in the highest possible esteem Over There....and bereaved families who've lost a son or daughter will MOSTLY tell you they are proud though sorrowful that they died in the service of the USA.

( The support to offspring and widows is considerable and life-long too. Puts the Brit system to shame. How's your Afghantsi Bro-in-law?)


Le Chevre
 
#15
Goatman, American super-patriotism is well-known.

But... but Cindy Sheehan (a mother of fallen American soldier) is an example that shows: the statement made by our friend Tomahawk is not always true. Mrs.Sheehan apparently doesn't feel comfort. And I suppose that the majority of mothers of fallen soldiers don't feel comfort too.

However those who sent the soldiers to die can feel comfort, no doubt.

You mentioned my brother-in-law. He spent two years in Afghanistan and understood that time pretty well that the war was stupid and senseless. And most of officers understood it too, as well as soldiers. And no one mother felt comfort.
 
#16
Goatman said:
Brits find all this childhood flag pledging and gung-ho conditioning a bit chilling ......it's smacks to us of the Hitler Youth a little....but it works ......the Armed Forces are held in the highest possible esteem Over There....and bereaved families who've lost a son or daughter will MOSTLY tell you they are proud though sorrowful that they died in the service of the USA.

( The support to offspring and widows is considerable and life-long too. Puts the Brit system to shame.
For example (link found in another thread):
US Marines coming home for the last time

[align=center] :cry: [/align]
 
#17
Mrs Sheehan does not have the support of the american people - indeed I do not think her group has the same support as the Patriotic Guard (as reported in another thread on ARRSE but their activities shown here)
 
#18
Goatman said:
KGB_resident said:
tomahawk6 said:
The comfort they get is knowing that their loved one's died doing a job they believed in.
Previously I thought that I have a very good imagination. It appears that I was wrong.
No Gospodin- what you have is Old World cynicism and a lack of exposure to the genuine ( and to us rather touching and possibly naive) patriotism of small town Main Street America.

Same reason Bush's second victory came as a surprise to Left/Right coast chatterati - they never met any rural Americans.

Take a look around where you live - if it's anything like my home the only national flags you'll see are on public buildings ( apart from the odd eccentric like, well, me).

As no doubt you'll have been told it is absolutely commonplace for Americans to fly their national flag in the front garden - not hanging from a window frame but run up the genuine flagpole.

Brits find all this childhood flag pledging and gung-ho conditioning a bit chilling ......it's smacks to us of the Hitler Youth a little....but it works ......the Armed Forces are held in the highest possible esteem Over There....and bereaved families who've lost a son or daughter will MOSTLY tell you they are proud though sorrowful that they died in the service of the USA.

( The support to offspring and widows is considerable and life-long too. Puts the Brit system to shame. How's your Afghantsi Bro-in-law?)


Le Chevre
I have to commend this post by Goatman as it really is very accurate. The Army has a policy that a general officer will represent the nation at funerals for our soldiers. While this duty isnt easy I think it shows respect for the deceased soldier and helps the family at a very hard time.
 
#19
Sven said:
Mrs Sheehan does not have the support of the american people
I dare to disagree with you. Polls show that the Americans rather support mrs.Sheehan.

http://www.pollingreport.com/iraq.htm

"From what you know now, do you think the United States did the right thing in taking military action against Iraq, or not?"

Right Thing 41%
Not Right Thing 53%
Unsure 6%
Anyway most of Americans understand her feelings.
 
#20
If more americans supported Sheehan they would be able to get more than a 100 anti-war protestors to show up at a protest. But believe what you want.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top