U.S. Army upgrades PCs to ... Windows Vista

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by msr, May 23, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

The upgrade will include getting rid of all the Office 2003 programs and installing Office 2007 in its place, and is scheduled for a Dec. 31 completion date. Half the Army's computers (they have 744,000 desktop units) have Office 2007 so far and 13 percent (44,000, more or less) are on Vista, which was released in January 2007.

So will we be forced to upgrade to Office 2007 for 'interoperability' reasons?

2. Good Lord, I hope not. I gave up on 2007 and now use OpenOffice on my personal computer.

3. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

it'll all end in tears.

there was a story on The Reg a while back about a US Navy warship having to be towed back into port - it was running NT for almost everything onboard bar the lavvies by all accounts, and it blue screened of death irretrievably.
  4. 2007 can read 2003 files,all you have to remember when sending 2007 to 2003,is to send using 2003 format,simples! :wink:

Having said that,I can think of nothing worse than having Vista forced upon one! :roll:
  5. msr

msr LE

Sadly the reverse is not necessarily true, unless the converter has been installed.
  6. 2007 is tonk, they fcuked about with the layout and how to do stuff, why? After years of using the layout why? Numpties :evil:
  7. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I use both and like many with a lot of time in 2003 find 2007 extremely frustrating. Its like getting a new car and finding the pedals are now where the door handles are on other cars.

That said, you can make it work in compatability mode where it defaults to office 2003 formats and there is a converter for 2007 to 2003 which works when you double click a 2007 file as MSR says.

There are also a couple of addins that give you a 2003 style ribbon

Download here

some alternatives

8. Really? I know a schoolboy who submits his homework regularly over the web,he has 2007 on his laptop,his school has 2003.

When you save the document,click on the Save as type,and it can be saved as 2003/95 etc. but this doesn't save the 2007 formating.

As an aside,I also think 2007 is a waste of space,and still use 2003,and Open Office on my netbook.
  9. msr

msr LE

10. msr

msr LE

But enough of Office. This thread is about Vista :)

11. Office 2007 and Vista, the end of civilisation beckons.
  12. It's not the end of civilisation, it's just the normal desktop refresh cycle. They're a big firm after all, most of those seats will only ever communicate within the Army network. And when a desktop box gets replaced it gets the latest OS on it. Simple as that.

Now, what has kept many firms, including mine, from adopting Vista is that it requires substantially beefed up hardware to run on. There's a growing mood that since everything is still working fine on XP we might as well wait until Win 7 before we bite the bullet. And if there's no budget nothing is changing anyway.

One last thing, it is notable that they've gone towards Linux for FCS where space, power and processor footprint are important.
  13. Is a another government bail out. Last year I read in one of my techie magazines that a number of large companies broke with upgrading to Vista because it was an IT nightmare to manage workstations and users hated it.

Would appear the Army has now stepped in to pick up that slack, left by many not taking the Vista plunge. Either that or is is such a stupid decision made and they don't want to admit a mistake. Either way it will be 100's of millions before they figure it out.

Recently MS itself announced to companies to stop testing Vista and wait for Windows 7.

Personally, Vista is a steaming pile of cr@p.
  14. I actually quite like Vista, once all the shiny stuff is turned off, but they should have waited for win 7

Just installed win 7 on an Atom-based mini-desktop and have to say I love it. Put simply, it flies...