U.S. Army to Drop Green Uniform, Return to Traditional Blue

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blyth_spirit, Jun 16, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=ak4fIl4tyI5U&refer=us

June 15 (Bloomberg) -- The U.S. Army plans to eliminate the green uniform worn by its soldiers for more than 100 years and switch back to traditional blue worn by those fighting the Revolutionary War.

So rather than reinventing 'No.2' dress (how aptly named) should we revert to the scarlet tunic?
  2. I hope the Septic dress uniform includes the cavalry stetson, complete with arrow in it's crown!
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The article is a little way off as the Forest Green Class A uniform was introduced in 1957-ish. The previous version was in a dark brown with brown shoes. I think there's a thread already going on this in the Multi-national corner.
  4. Wont they get confused with the USAF considering they use the same rank insignia?

Rather ironic considering blue was originally adopted by the USAF to distinguish it from the Army!
  5. Maybe it's time to change the Brit SD. After all the coat was originally a field jacket, a derivative of a late 19th century shooting jacket, and khaki was camouflage! Blues wouldn't be bad, or Rifle Green, even field grey ( 19th century British Rifle Volunteers wore grey uniforms) or the original khaki - anything but the current abominable ginger suit!

6. I for one would welcome a return to scarlet, very British and smart. Do the froggies still wear a blue dress uniform?
  7. Scarlet would be good... would certainly stand out in a crowd, but the Guards would be annoyed to loose their monopoly on the Red Coats