U.S. Army Awards $1.35B Account to Ad Agency

Cut-and-paste because this is a registration site...thought the numbers might interest someone.

I wonder what the British Army budget is for producing mediocre ads to attract bored youth?

From AdAge.com:

ARMY SELECTS MCCANN FOR $1.35 BILLION ADVERTISING ACCOUNT
December 07,
By Ira Telnowitz

WASHINGTON (AdAge.com) -- The U.S. Army tonight awarded its advertising account, the government’s largest, to Interpublic Group of Cos.’ McCann Erickson, New York. In doing so, it decided against renewing its contract with Publicis Groupe's Leo Burnett USA.

McCann Erickson now faces the task of devising advertising pitches capable of luring recruits for wartime military duty. Here, Army paratroopers radio for air cover after being shot at in Tal Afar, Iraq.

The contract, which includes advertising for the U.S. Army Reserve, could be worth up to $1.35 billion over five years. (It’s a two-year contract that can be renewed for three subsequent one-year periods, or up to five years total.) The Army said the figure represents a maximum contract amount and actual spending is closer to $1 billion.

The Army is expected to drop Burnett’s “Army of One” slogan, though the Army didn’t confirm the switch.

Beyond Burnett, the finalists in the government review were WPP Group’s Ogilvy & Mather, New York, and Omnicom Group’s BBDO, Atlanta.

Paul Boyce, an Army spokesman, tonight said the announcement “reflects many months of careful work to ensure a full and open competition among some of the best advertising agencies in America. ... Both the U.S. Army and the American public are the clear winners given the dedicated professionals we have had working account in the past and the creative talent we will be working with in the future.”

Mr. Boyce said Burnett will continue working on the account through a three-month transition period and that the earliest creative from McCann is likely to be next summer. No specific tagline or theme has yet been determined.

The Army fell short of its recruitment goal for the fiscal year ended Sept. 30, meeting only 92% of its target. But Mr. Boyce said the Army has met its goals for each of the last five months.

The ad review had drawn fire because Burnett’s original contract, slated to end more than a year and a half ago, was repeatedly extended because of problems in rebidding the contract.

McCann WorldGroup Chief Operating Officer Eric Keshin led the team that pitched the account. Worldgroup sgencies involved include: creative agency McCann; media agency Universal McCann; MRM, for digital and interactive; Momentum, for event marketing; and public relations agency Weber Shandwick.

In a statement, Burnett said: "We are extremely proud of the work we have done to help ensure the U.S. Army attracts capable, committed men and women to serve and defend our country. We thank the U.S. Army for their partnership over the past five years and wish them the best."

Funny really....Moodybitch lost her job with the advertising agency that has the MOD account because she spoke up against their current tranch of adverts for the Army.........yawn......boring!

I reckon she should set up her own agency, and get serving arrse memebers to feature in her own brand of ads.........as long as it doesn't involve her hoop in the 'shot ....again.

What about it eh?

Micky_Dees said:
Funny really....Moodybitch lost her job with the advertising agency that has the MOD account because she spoke up against their current tranch of adverts for the Army.........yawn......boring!

I reckon she should set up her own agency, and get serving arrse memebers to feature in her own brand of ads.........as long as it doesn't involve her hoop in the 'shot ....again.

What about it eh?
You've got to be joking. That's ridiculous! What a bunch of pu$$ies. If her former boss can't deal with internal criticism, then horrible reviews in the trades will be waaaaaaay too much for such a fragile creative blossom, and he/she shouldn't be working in advertising in the first place.

I'm an account supervisor by trade. Maybe she'll give me a job when I finish my degree. If I have to suck corporate c0ck for a living, it might as well be squaddie c0ck.

Note to the Tankie: If you're reading this right now, darling, that's a metaphor. :roll:

$1.35bn?

Have they signed the Ocean's 11 cast to star in the TV spots or something?

Never understood the "Army of One" thing. First of all, it must have come as a rude shock to the recruit that tried to emphasise his individuality to his Sgt Maj. Second, who the fcuk would want to be an army of one? If you're an army of one, it typically means that something has gone horribly wrong- you're lost, everyone else is dead etc. Far better to be part of an army of 500,000 IMHO.

TankiesYank said:
I'm an account supervisor by trade. Maybe she'll give me a job when I finish my degree. If I have to suck corporate c0ck for a living, it might as well be squaddie c0ck.

Note to the Tankie: If you're reading this right now, darling, that's a metaphor. :roll:
I could feel him get his hopes up for a brief moment, even from here. :D