U.S.Airforce want no-warning strike force!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Feb 9, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

2. Or less than sixty minutes. The "Rods From God." These are 20' x 1' tungsten rods ejected from an orbiting battlestation. These rods, which could be dropped on a
    target with as little as 15 minutes notice, would enter the Earth's atmosphere at a speed of 36,000 feet per second--about as fast as a meteor. Upon impact, the rod would be capable of producing all the effects of an earth-penetrating nuclear weapon, without any of the radioactive fallout.

The linked article says that once the button is pushed, these things strike the target within fifteen minutes.

The Rods from God
    Are kinetic-energy weapons the future of space warfare?
    by Michael Goldfarb
    06/08/2005 12:00:00 AM

The article doesn't go into specifics but suggests that the cost of lofting a bunch of 20' tungsten poles into earth orbit could be considerable.
  3. Also known as Project THOR. For those who think science fiction is a fantastical waste of time, I first read about Project THOR in a sci fi book about 25 years ago, when I was still a kid in Middle School.
  4. Naw, we're not trying to achieve military overmatch against any possible opponent. We Yanks know that would upset puddin' heads like you. We figure we'll just kick back and spit tobacco, and allow say, the Iranians and the Chinese Communists to achieve world dominance. We know that people like you will be far more comfortable knowing you're sheltering under the nuclear umbrella of the ayatollahs.

Good luck with that. :roll:
  5. Heinlein's "Footfall"?
  6. Actually, it was Pournelle and Niven who wrote "Footfall", but THOR was detailed in a proposal paper which was included in one of Pournelle's "There Will Be War" Anthologies back in the '80s. I think THOR *may* have been detailed in "Footfall", but it's been many, many moons since I read it. Wouldn't be surprised.
  7. I think you're jealous. So am I; the last time we had the sort of global supremacy the spams have now, was when HMS Warrior was steaming round the world happily capable of taking on any foreign Navy, singly or all at once.

How dare those pesky Americans want to ensure they remain Top Dog. Anyway, the Americans have had the ability to strike anywhere in the world since the middle of the last century, as have we, the chinks and the Rooskies, with buckets of instant sunshine. Surely this is not as much a threat as Mr "Glow in the dark" Trident?
  8. 'Footfall' was the one about alines who looked like baby elephants, yes?

In fact the US has been looking at Force AppLication from CONtinental usa (FALCON) for a while now.
  9. Unless I've screwed up (I haven’t done this for years) each rod would weigh in at 8,562.40 Kg or 18,837.28lbs.

How many will fit in a shuttle?
  10. yes, they drop a small Saturn moon in the South Pacific

a strange but good book

the intrsting thing is at that speed you don't even need a warheard
  11. I think Hollywood might be after the intellectual copyright for 'THOR'.... ('Tactical Helicopter Offensive Response', IIRC).

12. Ariane 5 ECA can take a payload of nearly 10 tonnes, so one rod at a time. That's not a cheap weapon.
    The Ariane 5 ECA is the latest – and most powerful member – of the Ariane 5 family, with a hefty payload lift capacity of 9,600 kg. to geostationary transfer orbit (GTO).
    I'm pretty sure this is a chepaer way of getting things into space than the shuttle
  13. Who asked you, JAFO?

14. I don't think there is a more expensive way of getting *anything* into space than the shuttle. Probably launch it with a Delta rocket or some such.

I had always envisioned THOR as a system with more tactical applications, though. Much smaller rods for rather smaller booms. Example: Satellite recon has a bead on Bin Ladin, "Somewhere in Afghanistan (TM)" A THOR satellite is maneuvered into launch position over his location, and a single rod is dropped on his head. The house in which Bin Ladin shelters is vaporized, the rest of the neighborhood is undamaged, mission accomplished.

The system they're envisioning here would take out the whole valley in which he sheltered! 8O
  15. Must be great having all these super-dupper weapons! Pity your colleagues can't find a decent target to hit and one of the ones that you do hit is in an allied country and resulted in enough civilian casualties to thoroughly p1ss off that countries government!

Tell me, how does possessing so many nukes deter OBL?