U.K. to Launch New 'Super Submarine'

Ok I know its from the Daily Mail but its not a bad article... (really...!)

Set to launch our nuclear Leviathan: The enormous scale of the biggest submarine ever built in Britain | Mail Online

Good to see what BAE are actually finishing some of their new new ships though. Will a couple of these be enough to guarantee our dominions in the Falklands or are their capabilities being overstated?

I wonder if it will be luckier than the Astute... Bets anyone? :)
Bloody Mail.
It a sister ship to Astute. Which has been launched (And parked!)

So it should say "Biggest Submarine apart from it's sister ship"

Bloody Mail!

Unless she displaces more than her sister in which case the assertation stands.... not all ships are the same in a family.

Bloody Mail.
It a sister ship to Astute. Which has been launched (And parked!)

So it should say "Biggest Submarine apart from it's sister ship"

Bloody Mail!
Do you know what they're doing with the Astute once they've patched her up? When is she going to be deployed on something more worthwhile than posing for the newspapers? :)

Fair point about it being a sister ship though... But it is the mail so exceptions must be made!

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Nice cutaway drawing (from MoD) - reminded me of the ones that used to appear in the Eagle comic in my far distant youth.

Ship's Company get a bunk each - such luxury.

Nice cutaway drawing (from MoD) - reminded me of the ones that used to appear in the Eagle comic in my far distant youth.
Except the ones in the Eagle were more detailed... :nod:

How quaint measuring it's size and propeller noise in terms of Blue whales and baby dolphins. All together now...................AAAAAAhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

By the way I hope any future evil enemies don't inadvertantly go round sinking baby dolphins thinking they're our submarines!

Anyway get it launched and let's go and nuke somebody!

Alsacien

MIA
The bits I noted were:

"having come in *massively over-budget and five years late,"
"the £6.7 billion project is already £1.4 billion over budget,"

Useless.......

By the way I hope any future evil enemies don't inadvertantly go round sinking baby dolphins thinking they're our submarines!
Unfortunately we expended a fair amount of ordnance on the Southern Atlantic sub-surface maritime wildlife during Corporate.

The bits I noted were:

"having come in *massively over-budget and five years late,"
"the £6.7 billion project is already £1.4 billion over budget,"

Useless.......
I read somewhere that this was due to BAE taking over (buying the company) from the firm who originally had the contract. Apparently the original company had massively overstated their capabilities, hence the higher costs etc.

Cant find the link though so maybe I dreamt it!

Ship's Company get a bunk each - such luxury.
Hot bunking is great until your opposite number comes aboard with a dose of crabs which you then pass on to the wife. "Don't worry dear, I caught them from another bloke" does nothing to quell her rage as she opens that letter from the clap clinic asking her to come in for a "checkup"..

Anyway. Bunks! Sheer bloody luxury. Prince Philip slept in a chair in the wardroom until he got promoted to subbie.

I thought they preferred to share.
if each one of them is going to eat all those sausages and weetabix every morning they will need bigger bunks, thinking about it that could be a cost saver " sausage or weetabix " not both.