U.K. forces leather and fur cold weather cap 1965 info reqd please

Any info gratefully received please from the experts on here.

I bought it one winter 30 years ago in a Barnstable surplus store for the missus.

Leather peak, ear flaps and chin warmer all leather / fur lined. all black chrome hide / brown fur.

broad arrow marked and dated 1965. Contract / supplier is 25875 J.C.S. and W.L. Co.

At the time was told poss. R.M.

Wont let me add a photo link, says "bad content" but images attached hopefully.

Many thanks in advance

ATB, ED
hat.jpg

Attachments

• hat 2.jpg
    hat 2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:
If that was from Barnstaple 30 years ago, for a 1965 dated item, RMB Chivenor was RAF then. I would say it's RAF looking myself

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Looks like something the RAF Regt would wear, the big Jessies.

Size 61!!! That’s some cowheaded bugger.

diehard57

War Hero

I bought it one winter 30 years ago in a Barnstable surplus store for the missus.

Leather peak, ear flaps and chin warmer all leather / fur lined. all black chrome hide / brown fur.

broad arrow marked and dated 1965. Contract / supplier is 25875 J.C.S. and W.L. Co.

Many thanks in advance

ATB, ED
Cassie’s on Rolle Quay? A real Aladdins cave of surplus.Sadly closed down a few years back.

I wonder if its Canadian?

It looks a bit too Gucci and well made for anything paid for by WD/MoD.

Agreed. It pre-dates my joining by quite some time, but I've certainly never seen a military DILLAC hat like that before.

Many thanks in advance

ATB, ED
My goodness, you know how to spoil the missus, eh? What was it, her anniversary?

Did you spend a week sleeping on the couch?

Slime

LE
If that was from Barnstaple 30 years ago, for a 1965 dated item, RMB Chivenor was RAF then. I would say it's RAF looking myself

What or who was at Fremington at that time. Fremington is only a stones throw from Barnstaple.

My goodness, you know how to spoil the missus, eh? What was it, her anniversary?

Did you spend a week sleeping on the couch?
No it was freezing bleedin' cold, and we had just walked the Tarka after the beach training areas in Instow...and she is the practical shooting / outdoors type who picked it herself as is a blinding bit of kit., I just paid for it.

We had the use of a riverside house which was in the family at Instow beach at the time.

Crow on here, but not in real life! (non served myself but many in family have in all three branches.

User name is because Father was at Bordon, later (from age 16) my step father was ex Guards WW2 North Africa then Italy.

ATB, Ed

Last edited:
About the time that the cap in the OP is dated there was a limited roll-out of these things -

1614265433670.png

The neck curtain, shown here folded up, had a wool flannel material lining, and was held in place by the chinstrap when folded down.

The word was that they had been manufactured during the Korean War, but never widely distributed, and remaining unissued stocks were dished out on a limited basis in about 1965. I was once bothered by a Military Police patrol at Keele Services on the M6 for wearing one with the old green combat suit - that must have been 1966.

For some reason they were worn a lot by RCT Tank Transporter drivers for many years.

About the time that the cap in the OP is dated there was a limited roll-out of these things -

View attachment 552471

The neck curtain, shown here folded up, had a wool flannel material lining, and was held in place by the chinstrap when folded down.

The word was that they had been manufactured during the Korean War, but never widely distributed, and remaining unissued stocks were dished out on a limited basis in about 1965. I was once bothered by a Military Police patrol at Keele Services on the M6 for wearing one with the old green combat suit - that must have been 1966.

For some reason they were worn a lot by RCT Tank Transporter drivers for many years.

A DILAC hat with Beau Geste trimmings. It's got everything. Tick-tocky types could even slash the peak.

Latest Threads