U.K. Defense Procurement Entirely ‘Joint’

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by NEO_CON, Jun 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.nationaldefensemagazine.org/issues/2006/july/UKDefense.htm

2. Kack. The head honsho of each "incapacity directorate" is divvied up among the three services and they then favour their own service. This explains why the RN isn't getting TLAM for the T45s, despite the USN having had Tomahawk on surface ships for decades and the Dutch, Spanish and Australians likely to get TLAM before the end of this decade. The director of 'deep strike' is an RAF man...

3. All too true.

I thought the word 'joint' implied: MoD buys from BAe Systems and BAe Systems supplies the MoD - loop and feedback ensured!

4. My understanding of the reason T45 wasn't getting TLAM is because the PAAMS launcher system (SYLVER) is designed to be able to carry Storm Shadow. (The Frogs are doing this with their naval implementation of SYLVER and their SCALP ER version of Storm Shadow. Ergo, T45 doesn't need TLAM, as we'll install a UK system anyway...

Very happy to be contradicted if the above is nonsense!

5. Sort of true - the T45 VLS can't take Tomahawk (I'm not sure if it can take Storm Shadow or derivatives without modification). However, there is space and weight built into the design for a launcher big enough to take Tomahawk, so it's a pretty minor job to modify the ships to take it.