U-Boat spotted on Leeds-Liverpool Canal near Chorley.

LancePrivateJones

MIA
Book Reviewer
Hope this hasn't been done already.

I spotted this over at Rum Ration and thought it deserved a mention, here>>
Replica German U-boat cruises alongside barges on British CANAL | Mail Online

A spokesman for British Waterways said "We cannot run the risk of a collision and having someone sunk by a submarine. Every craft on our waterways has to be licenced".

I bet it does.

Seems like Mr Howarth has raised a few eyebrows with his creation and to be honest, I reckon British Waterways sound a bit pissed off with him.

Seems like a sound bloke Mr Howarth does.

(If the Mod thinks this should be in the NAAFI (or the hole) please do the honours.)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It only looks a little like a U-Boot.

More fun if there was a deck gun!

LancePrivateJones

MIA
Book Reviewer
I wonder if he will run up the WW2 German Battle Flag?

Could be interesting, especially if there any synagogues in the vicinity.

I always heard that the canals were scenic but he won't have much of a view

LancePrivateJones

MIA
Book Reviewer
I always heard that the canals were scenic but he won't have much of a view
If he is driving that thing down to Liverpool he probably won't care, plus it looks a bit bulletproof so maybe he's just being on the safe side.

I noticed there there was a picture of him wearing a naval captains hat, I wonder if he has got the full rig with swastikas and iron crosses.

its on rum ration already, I wonder if he shouts "ALARM" when a plane flies overhead,like in the film?

He'll have jackboots on his underpants, no question.

I love it, because, despite being a bit Walt-sh, it so takes the piss out of all the hippy narrow-boat owners who paint their boats up like tarted up gypsy caravans, with stencilled multicoloured flowers on everything from the side of the boat to buckets and coalscuttles full of geraniums.

Splendid effort. Makes a change to all that twee canal boat pikey floral decoration tat.

As it happens, I have an unpublished picture of Mr Howarth whilst navigating a particularly tricky stretch of the canal

"an exact replica"?

Das Mail really does employ some idiots.

Fair play to the fellow though, looks like a laugh!

I love it, because, despite being a bit Walt-sh, it so takes the piss out of all the hippy narrow-boat owners who paint their boats up like tarted up gypsy caravans, with stencilled multicoloured flowers on everything from the side of the boat to buckets and coalscuttles full of geraniums.
Yeah, I got that impression as well.

I reckon that Kapitän zur See Howarth has got a bit of an agenda with the canal folk.

P

PrinceAlbert

Splendid effort.
It's not a splendid effort! It looks pants, and **** all like a U-boat. It looks like someone's bought a barge, and painted it grey. Stripped out all mod-cons, and comforts, and stuck some bins on the wall.

£25k for the refurb?!?!? They saw him coming!