Tyres wanted

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by EX_STAB, Nov 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need a set of tyres for my Land Rover.

Current fit is "Deestone Extra Grip" which is a copy of the old Goodyear Hi Mile Extra Grip" that was fitted to military SIII etc.

Size is 7.50x16 (Crossply)

Any offers/suggestions? Best price I've found is £75 inc vat inc fitting.

I can fit them myself if I can get them delivered for a better price.
  2. £75 is a good prie for Xtragrips
    I would stick with them too.
  3. That's for the Deestone copies. I don't think Goodyear make this pattern any more.
  4. Goodyear still market them-

Nothing wrong at all with Deestone quality though, I would be more than happy with them.

Whatever you do be very cautious about the modern mud tyres offered in the Land Rover magazines, many of them are terrible tyres!
  5. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

I paid £120 for 4 used Grabbers on composite rims on eBay.

I'd agree on silly mud grabber tyres like Insa Turbo's. They look the business, but hit the brakes hard in the wet on tarmac and life gets real interesting, real fast.
  6. TheIronDuke

7. Only in Malaysia though?
  8. Didn't notice that bit ES!
    As I said earlier though, Deestone make a good tyre and I would have no qualms about using them
  9. Any reason why you are wanting to stick with cross-ply?
    I changed mine to 265/65R16 on modular wheels to give me a more "modern" choice of tyre, and what a difference it made to handling. Thats on a 1985 V8 110. The other choice which is almost identical in size to the 7.50 x 16 is the 235/85R16

I use Pirelli Scorpions for road use and Colway/Kumho Mud Terains for offroad/winter use. (£60 each roughly)

I used to use Goodyear M/Ts but they just get cut up and knackered for day to day off road use. Waste of £150 each!

If you are wanting to stick with the cross-ply for "Authenticity" etc, then how about these?

Hope that helps a bit
  10. Colway went out of business a while ago and the last of the tyres produced by them were of reallly oor quality. I had a set of four muds just before hey went under and all were unbalance-able, couldn't get enough balance weights on the wheel!

Kingpins are a good remould.

Leaf sprung Series Land Rovers are better on cross ply's. They tend to drive better with them!

I'm currently using General Grabber AT2's on my Discovery after destroying 3 Pirelli Scorpions on slate in one go. I won't ever be buying Pirelli's again!!!!
  11. TheIronDuke

So let me get this straight. You are concerned about road handling on a Landy, yes?

Whats your position on the existence of space aliens? Or handbrakes and heaters on a Landy? Makeup?

So long as it more or less stays straight on the road, scrabbles out of mud and doesnt strip down to the wire on shale, it'll do me.
  12. Ended up with "Security ML814" tyres - a Chinese copy of the Goodyear. £65 a corner inc vat and fitting.

I was told there is a Michelin of the same pattern but I don't believe it.
  13. TheIronDuke

There is. Its called the Michelin All Terrain something or other. I flogged a set to some guy from Yorkshire back in the Spring. They looked like the ones in the pic at the start of this thread.

Big wedges on the side. That'll get you out of the clarts when your sexy Insu's pack up.
  14. Fair comment :D on the handling!

My 110 V8 is not too bad with the heater..well, heat from the enginebay..lol.

My 300 Tdi 90 has one of those scoops on the heater inlet...just blows colder air faster..lol
  15. TheIronDuke

Landy = ambient temperature.

Did you fit the V8 to your 110? I've got a 2.5 TDI in my 110 and I really fancy a V8. But I hear its a hassle?