Typical day of a platoon commander

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Officer Recruiting' started by Philski3000, Apr 21, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

• Like Like x 1
  1. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

The example posted by Sandmanfez in the thread linked above is a pretty fair example of what a typical day might be like but, as a platoon commander, I don't remember many two days being exactly the same, unless on courses or other training. I also seem to remember that we started at 8.00am - I was still scoffing breakfast at 7.30.

2. It's pretty much what I saw out subbies do... **** all pretty much. Troop commander is a bit of a misnomer. The chief role seems to be to liaise between HQ and guys on the ground via the admin sgt, some minor admin tasks and getting the hang of being in the army generally

3. That is why in the RAC we have Troop Leaders, we lead and they follow out of pure curiosity!

• Like Like x 1
  4. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Well, clearly subbies tend to improve with experience but they have normally just been through a 44 week commissioning course as well as their special-to-arm training and some of the better ones will have picked up a few nuggets from this. I'd suggest that their time tends to be taken up with things like welfare, admin, planning of training, execution of training, professional development of soldiers and similar matters. Some SNCOs are very helpful with all of this, some are jack ******* who aren't worth their pay.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Read "McAuslan" by George MacDonald Fraser...I doubt if much has changed fundamentally.

6. In my opinion A Good Pl (or Tp Comd) will:

1. Turn up to work on time, not too early, never late.
    2. Listen to his Seniors.
    3. Not be afraid to do the right thing.
    4. Remember his loyalty to his OC as well as his Pl/Tp.
    5. Keep his troops informed.
    6. Be above reproach.
    7. Always be professional.
    8. Know when to get stuck in at the coal face, know when to stand back.
    9. Lead from the front on ops and do his utmost to keep his men alive whilst achieving the mission.
    10. Enjoy his time in command!

The days of turning up to work at 10 am smelling like a marker pen and telling your Tp senior to crack on are well and truly over. Go on like this, an you'll get filtered out of the Army pretty sharpish.

7. What a horrible dull place the modern army must be, no doubt you do very well in it!

8. So THATS how we've all ended up f*cked up...
    Bloody absent fathers .

• Like Like x 3