Typhoons see off the Bear over Atlantic

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by TheIronDuke, Aug 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

no link yet, but it would seem Brit Typhoons had a word with some Russian plane over the Atlantic recently.

Oh, er Missus.

<the scene> An English country house, dusk is falling. Cut to an upstairs window. We see a middle aged chap in a cardigan and slippers putting the finishing touches to the best bower of a scale model of HMS Victory.

<posh birds voice from downstairs> "Its for you dahling. Its that nice George Smiley.. says its urgent..."

Is Vlad the Calander Boy having a pop, or what?
  2. It must have come quite far south to be in the southern QRA zone.
  3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

We've had Typhoons on QRA for a while now.This is old news.
  4. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

It happened last Friday, and it broke on the newsfeeds aroung 7.00pm today, putting it in the public domain, so forgive me, but it aint exactly the relief of Mafeking, you know?

So, given that Vlad has announced the resumption of long range bomber patrols, is this the start of the resumption of the aerial cold war brinkmanship we had decades ago, or is this Vlad showboating?

Where the frock is Sergey when you need him?
  5. "Where the frock is Sergey when you need him?"

Lefthand seat somewhwere over the north sea ??

psst ! buy shares in concrete companys..... ;)
  6. perhaps we should have an 'ND' or two from the crabs, with profuse apologies to russia. that would certainly make them think twice!

7. What is all this fuss about I wonder? A peacefull Russian plane flies under international waters without any harm to anybody. Our American friends do it on daily basis. So what is the problem? 2-3 dozens of such flights and it would not be news.
  8. I am LOATH to say it, but I agree with Sergey. :D

The US do this all the friggin' time, I'm not surprised the Russians are doing it now too. Them and the US are the only ones with these sort of long range bombers now, and the only reason they haven't been doing it is because they were until recently somewhat strapped for cash, whereas the US has not.

It's old news only in the sense that Typhoon has been on QRA for the South since the end of June, this is the first times (I believe) that it's been scrambled.
  9. I'm just surprised the Typhoon worked and that Brown allowed it the fuel to fly. Bet there will be a reciprocal 'cut' somewhere.
  10. I bet the RAF brass are jumping with glee then running to the treasury claiming they need a bigger share of the defence budget!
  11. Exactly so. Nice to see that the old turboprops are still operating, though.
  12. Even if said turboprops do make the crews deaf in later life!

Wouldn't be allowed in this country due to the H&S Nazis!
  13. Now that would be entertaining...