Typhoons down.

Written, if I remember rightly, by John Paul Vann about Vietnam.

Unsure of the connection to NW Europe, 1944-1945.

Indeed; I put it in because the references to inaccuracies of artillery and air launched weapons reminded me of Col. Vann's words.

I first heard a badtardised version of them when learning to instruct the Principles of Marksmanship.

Just got the Haynes manual of the london underground and was surprised to find Bank station took a direct hit. For two years I used to emerge from it wondering why the Luftwaffe hadn't done me a favor and got it a modernisation when bugger me they had.

Bank station is only feet under the surface of the main road, the main ticket concourse took a direct hit, 56 were killed, it was kept quiet for moral purposes . The station is under the centre of the convergence of 4 roads, And serves the bank of England, the royal exchange, and the mansion house, in the heart of the city of london, the square mile.

View attachment 400688
Surely lack of training exercises will only increase risk, though somewhere else instead?

Eurofighter crash leads to calls to end military exercises | DW | 25.06.2019

Maintenance is still an issue...

View attachment 400689
You have to wonder what the snowflakes who write this stuff would have made of the attrition rates in the 1950s and 1960s when the RAF, USAF and others were losing more than 3 jets each week in Germany alone. Then the Luftwaffe were piling in Starfighters by the dozen each year from about 1963 onwards.

Both jets from Fliegerhorst Laage, near Rostock. Unit TLwG-73.

* Edited to add,

Those familiar with RAF Lincolnshire (MM's home ground of Coningsby and Waddington) may have seen EF2000s ( the word Typhoon is taboo in today's Luftwaffe) from this unit on the annual Cobra Warrior exercise held over the last few years.

Another exercise of this nature is scheduled for this coming September flying from Waddington, with the Israelis and Italians, as well as the Luftwaffe from this unit again.

Time will tell what effect today's tragic collision will have on this exercise.
Regarding the name, I believe it went something like this (remembered from some years ago):

UK: "We need a name for this new jet. We don't think that Spitfire II would be terribly suitable, so we suggest following on the 'wind' tradition started by Tornado. How about 'Tempest'?"

Germany: "Nein. We are with this not happy being. Ein verdammte Englander did my father in his Me-262 mit ein Hawker Tempest shoot down. Ve suggest Sturm!"

UK: "No, sorry old chap. Absolutely not! Too many memories of Storm Troopers goose-stepping across Europe..... We'd prefer 'Hurricane'"

Germany: "Nein. This is NOT possible."

UK: "OK - something else then. How about 'Typhoon'.....?"

Germany: "Nein! You had those in the Second Weltkrieg. Ve do NOT vant unser aircraft so named being....

UK: "Ah - but you had a 'Typhoon' or rather 'Taifun' as well. Me 108 Taifun, if you recall....!"

Germany: "Himmel! Sie haben recht. Ve did indeed. Perhaps ve can consider this?"

UK: "OK - perhaps. Or what about 'Cyclone'? No-one had any aeroplane called 'Cyclone'?"

Germany: "Hmm. Sehr interesting. Zis ist perhaps OK. Ja - ve are liking 'Cyclone', oder, wie sagt man auf Deutsch, 'Zyklon'. Ve can fur das singleseaterflugzeug 'Zyklon A' have, und fur das doppelseaterjagdbomberflugzeug, vielleicht 'Zyklon B'......"

UK: "Ahhh - actually we don't think that would be a terribly good name. We want to sell our jet overseas, after all. We don't think that 'Zyklon B' would go down terribly well with some of our potential customers......"

Germany: "Ach so. Perhaps then ve should decide on 'Taifun'!"

UK: "Yes. Typhoon it is then. Spot of lunch, old chap?"

Germany: "Danke"

Spain: "¿Qué?"

For the spotters and others interested in ze Luftwaffe, the serial numbers of the 2 crashed EF2000s are reported as 30+48 and 30+55.

An intrim report released by the Luftwaffe today-in German,

Die Luftwaffe trauert um ihren Piloten

Last edited:
//time for a thread drift//

The F-104 was very cost effective but also very unstable as you fine gentlemen and lovely ladies know about. One of the most productive and profitable exports from the U.S mil avaiation, but also one of the most unstable if you weren't really skilled.

//end of thread drift//
wasn't the Starfighter the centre of the payola scandal? Flog it to the friends for near nothing, to avoid them buying F-5s / F-4s? It wasnt only the germans who found them challenging to fly.

The surviving pilot will have some explaining to do as the Typhoon / EF2000 has excellent all round visibility compared to something like the EE Lightning or Starfighter

1561569224882.png

1561569117046.png

1561569079382.png

Very sad. My Dad was an R.A.F. fighter pilot, as was his brother. Both still around, thankfully. Dad was telling me about this accident this morning. He was properly annoyed about it.

Bank station is only feet under the surface of the main road, the main ticket concourse took a direct hit, 56 were killed, it was kept quiet for moral purposes . The station is under the centre of the convergence of 4 roads, And serves the bank of England, the royal exchange, and the mansion house, in the heart of the city of london, the square mile.
//again thread drift

But I hate bank! One of the worst stations to get off or change at.

//end of thread drift

wasn't the Starfighter the centre of the payola scandal? Flog it to the friends for near nothing, to avoid them buying F-5s / F-4s? It wasnt only the germans who found them challenging to fly.
The same way the UK paid "payola" for a few good deals....

ugly

LE
//again thread drift

But I hate bank! One of the worst stations to get off or change at.

//end of thread drift
Bank isn't really a station, its a series of stations, a hub connected with really long tunnels. I used to avoid it like the plague until I had worked out the quickest route to interchange was often at street level! I had an office at the end of London Bridge so had no option but to use it really!

Bank isn't really a station, its a series of stations, a hub connected with really long tunnels. I used to avoid it like the plague until I had worked out the quickest route to interchange was often at street level! I had an office at the end of London Bridge so had no option but to use it really!
F-k me dude/ dudette...I hate it with a passion...I would just go take the longer route just avoid the chaos in the morning, even if it really was the closest one to my work in the City...

The surviving pilot will have some explaining to do as the Typhoon / EF2000 has excellent all round visibility compared to something like the EE Lightning or Starfighter

View attachment 400903
View attachment 400902
View attachment 400901
We have no idea what caused the collision and there’s no point speculating. What can be said for sure is that air combat training, irrespective of cockpit visibility, is inherently dangerous as the whole point is to practice visually-laid weaponry and close-in high G manoeuvring. The picture changes radically from second to second and it’s very easy to lose tally with one whilst prosecuting another. At the closure rates involved, clapping hands with an unsighted player can take just single seconds. I don’t know a single fighter mate who hasn’t had an entirely accidental very close pass during ACT and only got away with it through pure luck. I know I was very fortunate in the past.

It’s called knife fighting in a phone box for very good reason.

ugly

LE
F-k me dude/ dudette...I hate it with a passion...I would just go take the longer route just avoid the chaos in the morning, even if it really was the closest one to my work in the City...
I would walk across the bridge south to the mainline as its quicker than using monument and I walked to Liverpool street and went mainline to Stratford rather than use monument. Part of the problem is Monument, its a separate station but so many people end up using the tunnels from Bank proper and feel cheated!
Its a series of seperate stations all close by. Wait till the Bank improvement works fucks it up royally, they were building the new entrance behind my office, its as close to Charing cross as anywhere else! I suspect we will end up like Montreal with an underground world of shops to fleece you on the way to and from work

I would walk across the bridge south to the mainline as its quicker than using monument and I walked to Liverpool street and went mainline to Stratford rather than use monument. Part of the problem is Monument, its a separate station but so many people end up using the tunnels from Bank proper and feel cheated!
Its a series of seperate stations all close by. Wait till the Bank improvement works fucks it up royally, they were building the new entrance behind my office, its as close to Charing cross as anywhere else! I suspect we will end up like Montreal with an underground world of shops to fleece you on the way to and from work
Bank is an f-ing mess - even on my clear sober days with a double espresso in my hand - and I am supposted to be an Analyst FFS!

Prince Bernhard (IIRC) in the Netherlands pocketed 1.1 million Dollars by seeing to it that their air force procured Starfighters.

A bad run for ze Germans: now a mil helo crash near Hannover with at least 1 fatality. Potentially more questions to be asked about maintenance and training.

'Authorities in Germany say that a military helicopter has crashed in the north of the country and at least one person has been killed. Police told news agency dpa that the helicopter crashed on Monday in Aerzen, southwest of Hannover. The fire service said the aircraft belonged to the Bundeswehr, the German military. Further details weren’t immediately available.'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/german-military-helicopter-crashes-at-least-1-dead/2019/07/01/2adf5a3c-9c00-11e9-83e3-45fded8e8d2e_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fa37542f3871

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
A bad run for ze Germans: now a mil helo crash near Hannover with at least 1 fatality. Potentially more questions to be asked about maintenance and training.

'Authorities in Germany say that a military helicopter has crashed in the north of the country and at least one person has been killed. Police told news agency dpa that the helicopter crashed on Monday in Aerzen, southwest of Hannover. The fire service said the aircraft belonged to the Bundeswehr, the German military. Further details weren’t immediately available.'

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/german-military-helicopter-crashes-at-least-1-dead/2019/07/01/2adf5a3c-9c00-11e9-83e3-45fded8e8d2e_story.html?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fa37542f3871
I really.must ask Alexa to play album Captain Lockheed and the Starfighters.

Latest Threads