Typhoons down.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
slightly o/t - and condolences to the missing mens families - but weren't the rockets fired from Typhoons over normandy hideously inaccurate?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
slightly o/t - and condolences to the missing mens families - but weren't the rockets fired from Typhoons over normandy hideously inaccurate?
I remember many years ago reading a statistic that about 1% of rockets hit their targets, and estimating that a squadron of 12 Typhoons carrying eight rockets each might get one rocket on target.

ugly

LE
I remember many years ago reading a statistic that about 1% of rockets hit their targets, and estimating that a squadron of 12 Typhoons carrying eight rockets each might get one rocket on target.
Artillery isn't that accurate unless you are under a shell. Moving a/c moving targets and unguided rockets so any hits pretty good plus a face full of 20mm cannon as a back up probably made ze Chermans worried. Plus we obviously had more sqns of Jabos than they had targets.

It reminds the Boxheads who won the war.

I wonder if the Luftwaffe are using the G variant. G for Germany. G for Gott strafe England.
I do think that stories that they don't like the name are a bit over the top - they had their own Typhoon you know:

The RAF version is much more butch - no wonder the Germans lost the war!

6 Sqn RAF were not known as the Flying Can openers for nothing.
It certainly wasn't for flying Typhoons as 6 Sqn never flew the type! ;)

They came by that nickname due to their success flying Hurricane IIDs in the Western desert.

Regards,
MM

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I do think that stories that they don't like the name are a bit over the top - they had their own Typhoon you know:

The Me109 walt in so many 1960's war movies - Von Ryan's Express springs immediately to mind.

I initially thought that this thread was about the bint who was arrested at Stanstead for trying to storm the cockpit... RIP to the pilot/s/aircrew

6 Sqn RAF were not known as the Flying Can openers for nothing.
That came from flying Hurricane MkIIDs, armed with 40mm cannon, over the Western Desert. They ended the war as the last front-line RAF squadron flying Hurricanes in Europe - MkIVs over the Med.

Sorry MM, didn't see yours 'til after...….

Krautman

War Hero
It reminds the Boxheads who won the war.

I wonder if the Luftwaffe are using the G variant. G for Germany. G for Gott strafe England.
No there was a ME 108 Taifun (Typhoon) and so you can't call the Taifun Taifun. They did the same with the Puma, first they would call it Panther, then they got cold feet and called it Igel (Hedgehog). After much trouble they called it Puma. I hope nobody told them that the SdKfZ 234/2 sometimes was called Puma or they will rename it to Pink fluffy Unicorns.

Yes, that was the stat for panzer destruction (though there was a large percentage of AFVs destroyed classed as 'unknown', which could of course, have included air attack kills), though 60pdr HE rockets and 20mm cannon fire absolutely shredded the light AFV and softskin support for those panzers.

RAF flew at least three during the battle of Britain albeit as cooperation and liaison aircraft with a bit of fighter affiliation thrown in. One was the German ambassadors personal aircraft that was prevented from leaving Croydon airport. The pilot was getting ready to take it back but when he opened the hangar doors a very large and heavy packing case was in the way. That same aircraft survived to be sold to the Swiss and now is back in German hands. Don't know what happened to the packing crate though.
A lovely aircraft years ahead of it's time. They should start making them again.

Ritch

LE
Media reporting that "body parts have been found". They add that at the moment, they don't know if it is related to the Typhoon collision.

RAF flew at least three during the battle of Britain albeit as cooperation and liaison aircraft with a bit of fighter affiliation thrown in. One was the German ambassadors personal aircraft that was prevented from leaving Croydon airport. The pilot was getting ready to take it back but when he opened the hangar doors a very large and heavy packing case was in the way. That same aircraft survived to be sold to the Swiss and now is back in German hands. Don't know what happened to the packing crate though.
A lovely aircraft years ahead of it's time. They should start making them again.
I had the pleasure of seeing and hearing this one, along with a Ju52, at an ex-East German airfield north of Berlin a about 10 years ago.

Latest Threads