Typhoon made by Ford?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Khyros, May 2, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This news bit that was brought to my attention was interesting not because of the very real potential of pilot error (only human and all that...) but rather instead because we are currently getting blitzed with television commercials featuring people attempting to use voice commands for every day things (girl say's "door open" and walks into it, doctor say's "anasthesia on" and gets ready to operate, etc...) after driving thier new Ford vehicle with voice activated gadgets. Now... the Typhoon has such a system so there is speculation that this poor airman might have a future in advertising here in the States.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,353665,00.html

2. Typhoon does have DVI but I'm fairly sure it doesn't have it for gear selection.

3. So chances are that if a malfunction isn't found, this fellow is going to be flying a desk for quite some time till he can recoup the RAF's repair bill then eh?

4. Nah. They'll probably promote him or send him on a QFI course. ;)

Thats what the AAC does if someone has a landing mishap. :roll:

5. I never knew the drivers got a choice of gear. I thought it was growbags and Breitling Navitimers all round.

6. I heard they are very likely to do anything about it. Maybe give him a slap on the wrist or something. Possibly a demotion, so long as it means he is still flying.

Reason being, it costs millions to train a pilot, and to add that on to the already hefty cost of replacing the jet is not worth it for a small lapse in judgment.

Also, on TV (might have been the BBC), they said that they do have a system in place that tells the pilot to lower the landing gear, but it is so incredibly annoying that most people turn it off.

I bet he regrets that now.

EDIT: Found this The Sun: RAF Typhoon Crash

7. skiddy, with respect, the BOI hasn't even starting warming up its laser printer, so no-one has the slightest idea of whether any action against the pilot will be recommended, let alone what that action would be.

Despite its comedic attempts to look as though it knows something about the matter, John Kay, not for the first time - and it won't be the last - is talking out of his arrse claiming to know (a) what happened and (b) what's going to happen.

He may turn out to have got it right purely by luck, thanks to that famed tabloid thing of reading Pprune and worse still, the Key Aviation Publishing forum - a location populated by a mixture of people who know something about the subject and an array of bluffing walts whose statements are about as precise as the dance steps of a spastic in a magnet factory - and presenting gossip as gospel truth. But at the moment, he's no real idea.