Typhoon landing

I may have mis-heard this but I believe that the local radio stated that a R.A.F. Typhoon pilot landed his £70 million aircraft somewhere in the US but forgot to put the undercarriage down. (He is OK physically)
I know it's not 1st April. Has anyone else heard this or should I be heading fo the home for the bewildered?

If it's true then the Navy's lost bonb is pretty small beer - but remember, things happen in threes.

China Lake California as part of the annual competitions, seems he landed with the gear up and banged out.

Someone headed for an interview without coffee then?

MDN thank you for the confirmation. I was surprised to log-on and note that no-one was taking the Arthur Bliss. (It is a bit soon to speculate on the reason for this apparently aberrant behavior/action).

DummyRound said:
Lucky he wasn't going to a stag party or he'd be in real trouble!
Wrong. If he was going to a party he would be OK.

Link to article in the Scum.

The Top Gun and his co-pilot from 17 Squadron climbed unhurt from the 1,500mph jet.
The Scum

:wink:

Without the gear down wouldn't he get an annoying voice saying "Terrain - Pull up!,,,,,,,,Terrain - Pull up!" as he came in????
:?

EX_STAB said:
Without the gear down wouldn't he get an annoying voice saying "Terrain - Pull up!,,,,,,,,Terrain - Pull up!" as he came in????
:?
The article suggests the onboard warning system could not be heard above the notes being belted out by Kenny Loggins Dangerzone.

TheBigUn said:

The Top Gun and his co-pilot from 17 Squadron climbed unhurt from the 1,500mph jet.
The Scum

I thought they were single seater, like the one in the picture at the top of the story. Really, a little research is going to kill them is it? Or are they suggesting it was a two-seater trainer?

The ultra-modern jet has a warning system with a “Bitching Betty” woman’s voice to alert the pilot to problems such as wheels not being lowered for landing.
Nah thats just her indoors..... I dont know you have akob that takes you to 30 000+ feet with good scenary beautiful views and you still get a frigging nagging voice in you ears!!!

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
bobath_lost_his_account said:
TheBigUn said:

The Scum

I thought they were single seater, like the one in the picture at the top of the story. Really, a little research is going to kill them is it? Or are they suggesting it was a two-seater trainer?
I love the way they fill 3 column inches with an RAF badge. In case anyone is confused as to what an RAF is.

Stokey said:
But the pilot is unlikely to be sacked even if he was to blame. The RAF cannot afford to lose a flier who cost £3million to train.
Pilot = £3 million
Plane = £69 million

I only got a C for my Maths GCSE, but it seems much cheaper to get another pilot.
So what you're suggesting is some form of inverse ejector seat - fires the plane 300 feet in the air and launches a parachute for it to land safely, while pilot is left to crash into the ground...

:twisted:

Actually, didn't the US Navy have something like that - the A3D which ejected downwards? Nicknamed the "All 3 Dead"