Typhoon declared Combat-Ready

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Jul 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I think they've just gone through RED FLAG or whatever they call it these days , so that's the Hot and Arid conditions done, so I guess they will be available for CAS shortly?

MM is the man in the know on these things.

2. The SoS recently announced that Tornado (GRF) was taking over the role of Harrier in Afghanistan. This is in addition to the standing commitment for Iraq (although the size of that commitment may be reduced). This is because Typhoon is nowhere near ready for an ops deployment in the CAS/Air-to-Ground role. There's a big RAF push from high up to get Typhoon on ops in the Gulf (to prove it isn't the huge waste of money everybody knows it is), but realistically don't expect to see it for a couple of years. At best, they might scrape a short term deployment as a kind of PR thing, but I doubt even that.

3. Usual sub standard of reporting, Commander Gav Parker. I can't view the video here at work, but I assume he meant an RAF officer and not an RN officer.

4. Of course their combat ready...they better be considering we sold 72 to Saudi Arabia a few weeks a go, then again I wouldnt lose any sleep if theirs did breakdown in the desert.

5. I'd be more concerned about Tornado taking up the mantle of CAS in Afghanistan if I was a boot on the ground, to be honest.

6. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Seems that the Air Force loves it, the septics are well impressed with it, and it's a good bit of kit. As a multi-role fighter-bomber, it's the dog's nads, and we're getting the septic Vstol for dedicated ground attack.

Pims all-round! Hooraah!

Of course, it's not yet going to Afghan, but I'm sure it will soon enough.

7. Oh really? What is your qualified opinion then? The Mud Movers have a solid reputation and I see no reason for them not to continue that.

Biped - I think we're going for the STOVL version aren't we?

[/pedant]

8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Mr C, why would they deploy Tornado IDS for CAS when thats what the Harrier is for? Genuine question.

9. More endurance, more load carrying, 2 man crew. By the time they get there Paveway 4 and data link should be on the frame....

Ooohhhh - and a gun! 8O

10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

GR4/A,IDS is used by the other nations & the weapon systems used on our Tornado's are different than those used by Germany ect.For one,our's are Nuclear Capable (or was when it was GR1 standard)
    The Tornado will be able to replace the Harrier when/if the Brimstone missile (our version of the Maverick AGM)comes into service.

The Typhoon was declaired combat ready around June 09 during Excersise Green Flag;

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/DefenceNews/EquipmentAndLogistics/TyphoonProvesItsAirsurfaceCapability.htm

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Thats a bit late isnt it? They were flying in 44 werent they?

[​IMG]

:wink:

12. The reason that Typhoon isn't going to Afg as planned and the GR4 fleet is doing that task is thanks to Gordon and his government, nothing to do with the aircraft's capabilities, or the RAF.

The decision - for financial reasons - to slightly speed up the reduction in the Tornado F3 fleet while pushing Typhoon deliveries off to the right means that 11 Squadron is needed to help support the AD of the UK task at the moment. Typhoon is likely to be a splendid multi-role aircraft, but even it can't be in two places at once.

Now, if the govt hadn't allowed the Saudis to take 24 slots out of the Tranche 2 line, thus reducing the pace of deliveries to the RAF, 6 Squadron would be on the verge (or possibly be in the process) of reforming, which would have allowed 11 Sqn to deploy overseas...

Drlligaf - Gav Parker is, as you suspect, a Wing Commander...

13. Same reasons as the vast majority of the rest of the armed forces I'd imagine. The TGRF suffers from poor leadership and man-management both at a strategic and local level, under resourced with regards to spares, manpower and experience. However, compared to Harrier, the Tornado GR is a much older, more complex and generally more unreliable machine. So any problems particulary with the logistics and experience side will have a greater 'knock on' efect with regards to aircraft availability IMHO. And I can only see things getting worse with two simultaneous ops draining resources and causing more people to PVR.

14. Ord_Sgt - Harrier can't sustain the sort of hammering it is getting out there. It needs a break as the spares, airframes, manpower etc are getting worn thin. Remember - it is only Cottesmore that runs operational Harrier now, so a small pool of dwindling resources has been drained. The GR is a capable airframe with capable operators on board.