Typhoon beats the Yanks

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Semper_Flexibilis, Jan 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bet that caused a few transatlantic hissys. :D

Eurofighter Typhoon Top Trumps the F-15 During Air Combat Training
    08:07 GMT, January 22, 2010 During recent exercises, NATO Air Forces carried out several training combat engagements known as DACT, Dissimilar Aircraft Combat Training, involving different types of aircraft. In this situation, where the air dominance is a matter, the Eurofighter Typhoons turned out to be the leading air-to-air fighter jets.

Once again, the outstanding performance of the Eurofighter Typhoon was evident in a dogfight simulation. The 111 Squadron of the Spanish Air Force as well as the 493rd Squadron of the U.S. Air Force were deployed for training in Gando Air Base, Gran Canaria. The Spanish Squadron attended the training with a total of six Eurofighter Typhoons. The U.S. Air Force deployed F-15s.

In an interview on the exercise, Major Juan Balesta, the 41-year old Commander of the 111 Squadron stressed that a two-ship formation of Eurofighters involved in a dogfight simulation “against” the F-15s enjoyed full control of the engagement. The Typhoons managed to smash a formation of eight F-15s which had the role of the attacker with the first Eurofighter jet managing to "shoot down" four F-15 fighter jets. The second Eurofighter managed to disable three F-15 jets. Eventually the pilots were using the Eurofighter Typhoon to full capacity and taking advantage of its enormous capabilities. Trump that.

http://www.defpro.com/news/details/12628/

2. Put it against the F22

3. Frankly, I would rather hope it did beat 1960/70s design.

4. They have, Yanks sulked and took their ball home.

The Yanks claim their F-15C's are top of the food chain.

5. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

how much was the pilot's work rather than the aircraft?

and would this exercise be relevant in a 'real' shooting situation, where the emphasis would, I expect (I stand to be corrected), be on engagement with BVR missiles rather than a close-in dogfight?

6. Everyone seems to forget the man in the cockpit dont they ??, our RAFG F-4 squadron went up against the Mig-29 when the Luftwaffe took them over after the wall came down. We did pretty well against a jet a generation ahead. In the past RAF Jags got kills on F-15's at Red Flag and even F3 Tonka's with JTIDS and other gizmos have given Eagles a run for their money. Its all about using your advantages to negate the other guys strengths.

Post 28 in this thread though is from a current F-15E driver who has gone up against Typhoon 1v1 .. http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=152291&page=2 .. and he should know.

7. the F-15 is 38 years old, when it first flew the New Seekers were in the charts with - 'I'd Like To Teach The World To Sing' 8/1/1972

8. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

'I've fought against Eurofighters in the F-15E. They are a VERY capable platform, and in some ways more capable than the Eagle' - doesnt sound like he's trying to excuse himself in any way.

9. Indeed, but to beaten by the SPANISH! In some cultures, people would be opening their stomachs with knives with this level of shame! :D

10. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

I don't quite get this

Were the 8 lined up or did they scatter and the Typhoons still got them

I'm thinking sheer weight of numbers v the two Typhoons didn't 1 or 2 Eagles get away and simulate firing some missiles back

I know theres an old joke from Korea when someone allegedly radio'd "Ive got 6 of them(migs) cornered at 20,000"

And I know Chuck Yeager got 5 ME109's in one day but that was at the end of the war when standards had dropped right down in the Luftwaffe

But really 2 aircraft really that good that they can shoot down 8 of one of the worlds best air auperiority aircraft?

11. If memory serves, we used to regularily beat the Yanks and any others on Bombing competitions at Nellis in the 80'S and early 90's and even before then
    We mainly used aircraft 40 years old or more(Canberra's), Jags that were all but retired, and Buccaneers were pretty useful too.

So no point them whingeing about unfair advantage, they had it before, now we have it.

Might even get some decent export orders because of it.

12. I presume you were aware of F14/phoenix missile combination? Not in service now of course but the AIM 120 is, so I presume they started with that and worked on down.

13. Surely, if a Typhoon isn't significantly better than an F-15 (C or E), then I'd want to know what all my taxes had been spent on.

14. Hopefully even the US will buy some . . . :D 8O