Type 31 Frigate

Is it an optical illusion, or is the middle of the three lacking a ski jump in that photo?
Pretty sure its there just seems proportionally smaller ( avoiding the near far big small gags)

Im going to guess middle one is Invincible which had a smaller ramp at 1st

That question cannot be answered until this one is, " What tasks do you want us to carry out?"
Trouble is, the Fleet, like the rest of the armed forces, has been largely optimised (i.e. reduced) to perform peacetime directed tasks and cope with minor emergencies with less and less regard paid to more serious conflict (à la SAG scenarios) under the impression that there will always be allies ready to step in. However, the threshold for their willingness to participate seems to rise all the time.
There comes a point when national interest has to prevail.

Dafty duck

War Hero
We have four SSBN. We generally only have one on ops (RELENTLESS) though there are two of them when handing over. That gives an operational availability of something less than 50%. As a layman, do you consider that to be poor?
I think you're comparing apples with oranges, and a pedant.

Mattb

LE
We have four SSBN. We generally only have one on ops (RELENTLESS) though there are two of them when handing over. That gives an operational availability of something less than 50%. As a layman, do you consider that to be poor?
You're confusing use with availability.

Pretty sure its there just seems proportionally smaller ( avoiding the near far big small gags)

Im going to guess middle one is Invincible which had a smaller ramp at 1st
The nearest one is Invincible (you can tell from the crane). Furthest is Ark which completed with the larger ramp. Middle one is Lusty, prior to her refit that put the 12 deg ramp on. Both R05/R06 completed with 7 deg ramp.

Guns

ADC
Book Reviewer

doc80905

War Hero
Harland and Wolff is about to fold and shut the gates for good as it seems a buyer has pulled out.
They are part of the consortium on two different bids for the Type 31. The Atlas and the Arrowhead 140.
I didn't know they were in bother, shame that. I see Wrightbus is also on a sticky wicket.

I believe Ferguson Marine on the Clyde, are being nationalised by the Scottish government, they are part of the same two consortiums as Harland and Wolff.
From what I gather the plan for Fergusons is to concentrate on doing Calmac stuff so possibly they'll be out of the running for the Type 31?

As an aside our lot (Liberty) have been asked by someone in the government about recommissioning plant in order to make Q1N steel plate which since Clydebridge was mothballed has been bought from Sweden. I believe the treasury is prepared to throw some more money in Mr Guptas direction to make it happen. At least that's what we were told at a meeting a couple of weeks ago.

As an aside our lot (Liberty) have been asked by someone in the government about recommissioning plant in order to make Q1N steel plate which since Clydebridge was mothballed has been bought from Sweden. I believe the treasury is prepared to throw some more money in Mr Guptas direction to make it happen. At least that's what we were told at a meeting a couple of weeks ago.
Don't Sheffield Forgemasters make NQ1? (I'm assuming Q1N and NQ1 are the same stuff.)

doc80905

War Hero
Don't Sheffield Forgemasters make NQ1? (I'm assuming Q1N and NQ1 are the same stuff.)
They'll be making the ingots for us to roll into plates. After rolling the plates are quench and tempered which is what the plant at Clydebridge does. I see it called Q1N and NQ1 depending on who you are talking to about it. It's a pain to get right but there is good money in it.

Sent from my H4311 using Tapatalk

Presumably, that's the end of the MEKO bid then?

I seen an article today, in which the two Unions, Unite and the GMB claimed at a press conference, that a new order to start next year for an offshore energy project with a previous client, was to be signed on the 12th of August. They claim 1000 people would be employed on this project.
I've a funny feeling it was the third field of the East Anglia Project.

Two seperate maintenance contracts, for two ferries in the ship repair dock, was to be signed as well, which would have tied the yard over for a while.

It's sad, as I think H&W, was odds on to gain some of the Type 31 work.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mr._Average Royal Navy 10
MoD_RSS MoD News 2
Crunchie Royal Navy 4190

Latest Threads