Type 31 Frigate

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nice, well thought out, definately my preferred option, but I'm not the buyer. The only thing I don't like is that sharply kinked sheer line, it pains my eyes. Leander has much fairer lines.

Some of those comments are valid. It's crap and has no contingency / future proofing.

If the Arrowhead team can get the IP sorted, that is the best option imho.
The IP has to be sorted for submission. It is a safe assumption it has been.

If the Arrowhead team can get the IP sorted, that is the best option imho.
If the Arrowhead team can convince people they can build that 6000te ship for £250M (exc GFI) when they don't have any sort of functioning shipyard (Rosyth/H&W/Fergies) then they are the best salesmen imho.

Let's start with the minor issue that Rosyth isn't (and never has been) a shipyard.

Yes it assembled the carriers, but from blocks built at "proper" shipyards (and I reluctantly include Govan in that bracket). It has little or no fabrication capability, irrespective of the claims made by Babcock. Harland and Wolff has not built a ship in twenty years, let alone anything as demanding as a frigate (albeit a small and austere one). Their workforce is best described as either "retired" or "mostly Eastern European". Project management and technical capacity, next to nowt. Fergies are struggling to complete a small Calmac ferry, despite the best efforts of Wee Jimmy Krankie to big them up.

Could they eventually nail the steel and outfit together at Rosyth? Eventually, no doubt, but for £250M a pop? I seriously doubt it.

Let's start with the minor issue that Rosyth isn't (and never has been) a shipyard.

Yes it assembled the carriers, but from blocks built at "proper" shipyards (and I reluctantly include Govan in that bracket). It has little or no fabrication capability, irrespective of the claims made by Babcock. Harland and Wolff has not built a ship in twenty years, let alone anything as demanding as a frigate (albeit a small and austere one). Their workforce is best described as either "retired" or "mostly Eastern European". Project management and technical capacity, next to nowt. Fergies are struggling to complete a small Calmac ferry, despite the best efforts of Wee Jimmy Krankie to big them up.

Could they eventually nail the steel and outfit together at Rosyth? Eventually, no doubt, but for £250M a pop? I seriously doubt it.
Scotstoun it is then!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

If the Arrowhead team can convince people they can build that 6000te ship for £250M (exc GFI) when they don't have any sort of functioning shipyard (Rosyth/H&W/Fergies) then they are the best salesmen imho.
Rosyth has the drydocks, fabrication space and workforce, the only unknown is how many £ and how long it will take to covert it all into a fully integrated unit!

I can see why thats being held against them with such a money focused programme.

In dictionary, but not in how RN deploy them:

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/type-31-frigate.251279/post-9280161

Others also point out RN intend to use them as un/weakly armed OPVs - "fitted for not with"
They won't be unarmed - the spec calls for a medium calibre gun (most likely the 5" as fitted to the T26, although it could well end up being something a bit smaller like 76mm - but not 30mm) and point defence systems.

Whether or not sticking such things on the planned designs makes them a proper warship is another matter entirely.

Ive missed some of the thread - but just to bring myself up to speed are we still at

Batch 2 rivers are crap* because they only have a Pea shooter up front
With a 76mm they would be able to shoot down missiles and be really useful Warships able to sail around the Gulf and look after itself

Type 31 is Crap* because with just a few CAMM and a 76mm its doomed to die as soon as someone looks at it funny because its just a glorified OPV.

Versus both are useful in the intended roles

*Note same person(s) arguing both

Last edited: