Type 31 Frigate

If you were after a number of decent vans, spent the day kicking the tyres of a Vito, agreed these were what you were going to buy, then told the salesman you could only afford a poverty spec Citan, would you expect him to sell you Vitos for Citan money?
To be truthful, I nearly always pay asking price for lorries and vans.
I know the price before I set off to look at them.

What I do haggle for is the spec, extras and works done before delivery.
I often spend less than the budget too.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
To be truthful, I nearly always pay asking price for lorries and vans.
I know the price before I set off to look at them.

What I do haggle for is the spec, extras and works done before delivery.
I often spend less than the budget too.
T31e is like the little girl in the Cadburys advert buying a bar of chocolate for her mum, except there is no kindly shopkeeper willing to take buttons.

Ah, you see that was because the ‘new’ MDP settlement was going to provide a stable budget for the next planning round, and T31e was going to be included in that. Oh, hang on...
Don’t worry, it’s not as if by the time MDP has reported we’ll already be into planning for SDSR20...oh wait!

Regards,
MM

Yeah, make sure you get those floor mats thrown in for free.
Floor mats?

Tends to be things like temperature loggers/printers and reversing cameras or higher refrigeration specification.

Logger/printer- £500
Reversing camera/sensors- £400
Higher fridge spec- £600
Load restraints- £200
Chequer plating- £200

Pushing a couple of grands worth per vehicle already.
All things that you would add to the spec that cost money, I'd rather pay list price for the vehicle and get the bits above added.
At the end of the day (and this applies to shipbuilders as well as van body builders) the supplier knows exactly what he needs to get price wise and what he can supply for that. He knows exactly what his competitors will supply and what price they will charge for it.

But in my case the supplier knows that once we have settled on a deal I will take a regular supply of new vehicles over the next 18 months.

When it comes to lorries its a little different, despite my CEO trying to persuade me to aquire brand spanking new lorries on lease I wont.
I recently bought a 2010 Mercedes Axor 26 tonne fridge. I paid £15,000 quid for it. It has a projected lifespan with us of 18 months, I din't haggle on the price but it came tested, Loler'd, full fridge service and warrantied. All servicing done by manufacturer and bang up to date.

The equivlent lease vehicle would come in at £30,000 a year for 5 years.

Factoring in PMI contracts and maintenance (including contingency for when one of my muppets breaks something) the cost is less than half of leasing. If it lasts more than 18 months (and it will) then those costs start reducing massively because it paid for.

The point behind this massive thread deviation is this-
You first need to decide what you want your tool to do for you (van, lorry, frigate, the same applies)
Then you decide what you want or need it to cost you.
And then you decide which bits you are going to compromise on to make the two bits above marry up.

Last edited:
The point behind this massive thread deviation is this-
You first need to what you want your tool to do for you (van, lorry, frigate, the same applies)
Then you decide what you want or need it to cost you.
And then you decide which bits you are going to compromise on to make the two bits above marry up.
Yeah, you will never get a job in MoD procurement with shit thinking like that.

PhotEx

On ROPS
On ROPs
However, you know it makes sense... the steel is cheap mantra.

However acoustically quiet, GT & Diesels integrated propulsion plants ain't.

T26 is the Ferrari of the frigate world. Yes, you could buy one to go to the shops, but it would be cheaper to move the shop